• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Thread revival and update.

So to get your WV non resident permit, they want some sort of live fire training, I showed my wear and carry course with the description of the course, the results of said course, and even the graded target from the class, 100$ in cash or check at the sheriffs office, mine came back in 3 weeks, but they say it can take up to 45 days. On pickup its another $25.

I used the form for resident permit, the ladies at the Sherriff's office told me WV has not written a non resident form yet, but may in the future. They will supply the forms if you don't bring your own, I brought my own.

I went to the Jefferson county office, the women who work there are very nice.
    Live fire is also required for a resident permit.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Glad that Jefferson County is following the law, unlike numerous PA counties who won't issue to non-residents....

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV

So to get your WV non resident permit, they want some sort of live fire training, I showed my wear and carry course with the description of the course, the results of said course, and even the graded target from the class, 100$ in cash or check at the sheriffs office, mine came back in 3 weeks, but they say it can take up to 45 days. On pickup its another $25.

I used the form for resident permit, the ladies at the Sherriff's office told me WV has not written a non resident form yet, but may in the future. They will supply the forms if you don't bring your own, I brought my own.

I went to the Jefferson county office, the women who work there are very nice.[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup: When I moved to WV over four years ago, that was one of the first places I visited and they couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. So different from many of the experiences I had in MD.

Last edited:

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Either way, what sucks is that you have to show up at least once to a sheriffs office. Either to apply or to pickup the license. It would be nice if it could all be done through the mail, or even better online.

They could be like Florida, which requires fingerprints to be done by a LEO if out of state and then mailed in. Along with mailing in a photo. Or by some that do electronic fingerprints. Once they pull a background, it’s not to hard to tell if the photo is of the person or not.

I am in the process of compiling a list for all of the counties on if you have to show up to apply, and they will mail the license, or if you can mail the application and show up to pick up the license. Or if you can do either one, as long as you show up at least once, I assume for the purpose of verification.

What’s interesting, is the state has not updated the application when it comes to asking for a DL/ID and county in WV you live in. That line still assumes your a WV resident.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I’m somewhat confused.

Handgunlaw.us shows that WV is permitless carry, anyone (21) who can legally own a handgun can carry concealed.

And for non-residents, WV also honors ~30 other states permits.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I suspect the reason for live fire for the WV CC permit is to gain reciprocity with other states, whose requirements would include live fire. If you're visiting WV, or live there and are not interested in a permit for other states, it's Con Carry, all the way.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I suspect the reason for live fire for the WV CC permit is to gain reciprocity with other states, whose requirements would include live fire. If you're visiting WV, or live there and are not interested in a permit for other states, it's Con Carry, all the way.

Yup. That's precisely why I got mine.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    I’m somewhat confused.

Handgunlaw.us shows that WV is permitless carry, anyone (21) who can legally own a handgun can carry concealed.

Actually if your in WV you dont have to live there. You can legally carry concealed or open. You only have to be a legal US resident thats not prohibited.

The reason for a permit is reciprosity with other states

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I’m somewhat confused.

Actually if your in WV you dont have to live there. You can legally carry concealed or open. You only have to be a legal US resident thats not prohibited.

The reason for a permit is reciprosity with other states
    Also, residents with a valid carry permit can get NICS exemption on the 4473, depending on if the FFL will do it.

Sportsman's Warehouse in Morgantown did NICS exemption on me. I was shocked when the guy at the counter said that they could and would do it with my permit.

BartExp

Ultimate Member

I went to the Jefferson county office, the women who work there are very nice.

Does the form need to be notarized before getting to the sheriff's office or is that done there. I noticed on the bottom left of page 2 a notary section, but it looks like it may be "Sheriff Dept Use Only". I'll be in Little Orleans, MD in June and a quick side trip to Berkeley Springs Sheriff's Office would be a breeze.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Does the form need to be notarized before getting to the sheriff's office or is that done there. I noticed on the bottom left of page 2 a notary section, but it looks like it may be "Sheriff Dept Use Only". I'll be in Little Orleans, MD in June and a quick side trip to Berkeley Springs Sheriff's Office would be a breeze.
    Yes it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom