• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 454shooter

LARGE Caliber
    Jun 20, 2020
    Harford County
    Glad I could help.

I have a 3/8" torso target (free hanging from chain) and for what it's worth, I have never had any issue with splatter coming back from 22LR up to 10mm handgun and 9mm carbine at distances as close as 15yds.

The 22LR literally flattens the projectile to a skinny coin shape and drops them at the base of the target.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    For what it's worth, I've now put thousands of rounds on steel targets at friendly matches (a la AGC) as well as at back-forty homebrew ranges. Everything from .308 to .22.

When shooting at 10-15 yards, I've been hit by pretty zippy pieces of sharp metal at least half a dozen times. Some while standing next to the shooter or off by ten feet, and some from my own guns. Have also caught some razor-frisbee-jacket-scraps that came from the next range over, flying up and over the berm - once with enough speed to draw blood.

So, assume NOTHING about how safe is safe - just WEAR WRAP-AROUND EYE PROTECTION and you're likely fine. Steel targets are great fun, and you can hugely mitigate risks by properly positioning/hanging them. But you need to be careful inside twenty yards or so, no matter what.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Love me some steel..... Way easier to hear the Tink than to have my old eyes see a small hole at some distance. Not so good I guess if you are hard of hearing.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    A steel plate hit by a .45 will jump like a scalded cat. Both audio and visual feedback!

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    Per Ar500 Shooting Targets:

Target needs to be at a minimal 7 deg. downward angle 10 to 20 degrees suggested.

This just might reduce the "zippy pieces of sharp metal".

Dang I need to do some shooting.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Interesting hitcock video avail on shooting steel. He places plastic soda bottles under the steel target and they shred. The bullet will flatten and splatter in a circle. I have seen small branches 10’ away cut. If tilted left or right, shards can reach firing line. Prob biggest concern is footing of target throwing shard back at shooter. I have brushed occassional shards off my clothes at 12-15 yds. Last weekend in shorts, mocs no socks got a bloody .5” cut on ankle. Didnt notice until i go home from shooting, but i think it was splash back. I have also shot with old rubber tires placed around base of steel target to keep deflection from coming back or slowing it. Have shot those close with no prob but don’t recommend.
    Use hardened steel cut and sol for this purpose. Shoot steel.com has good and lasting products.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    full size IPSC 1/2" AR500 torso.. (30x18"). Free shipping

https://shootingtargets7.com/products/bargain-bin-ipsc-full-torso-1-2

Use code BARGAIN at checkout for additional 30% off

Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 10.07.35 AM.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads