• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I found some info, but nothing on the NR CHL:

https://ago.wv.gov/gunreciprocity/Pages/FAQ.aspx

Q: What are the training requirements to obtain a license?
    A: Before filing your CHL application, you must present evidence that you have successfully completed one of the following training courses:
    1) Any “NRA” (National Rifle Association) handgun safety or training course;
    2) Any handgun safety or training course available to the public through an official law enforcement organization or an educational institution;
    3) Any handgun safety or training course conducted by an instructor certified by the State or by the NRA; or
    4) Any handgun safety or training course conducted by the U.S. military, reserves, or National Guard.

An applicant must present a photocopy of a certificate of course completion, an affidavit from the instructor, or some other document which verifies successful training course completion in order to obtain a CHL. The document shall include the instructor’s name, signature and NRA or state instructor identification number, if applicable.

Q: Is live fire of a handgun required for completion of my training?
    A: Yes, in order to satisfy the handgun safety and training course requirement, proof of actual live firing of ammunition by the applicant is required.

I'm not sure if they technically ask for anything specifying that you live fired. If you have the NRA course certificate, that should be the end of it. Do all NRA classes necessarily have a live fire component?

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I called Jefferson county this morning:
    You have to apply in person.
    You need PROOF of live fire.
    MD HQL without cert will not fly.
    NRA rifle instructor will NOT fly.
    RSO will not fly.
    CCW's in multiple states will not fly.
    You also need to make an appt.

The lady I talked to was adamant about having a cert that you live fired a pistol.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I called Jefferson county this morning:
    You have to apply in person.
    You need PROOF of live fire.
    MD HQL without cert will not fly.
    NRA rifle instructor will NOT fly.
    RSO will not fly.
    CCW's in multiple states will not fly.
    You also need to make an appt.

The lady I talked to was adamant about having a cert that you live fired a pistol.

Anyone know how recent the certification of live fire has to be? My MD cert was in March.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    Any info on what constitutes acceptable certification? I'm an NRA Certified Pistol and CCW instructor, as well as MSP instructor for HQL and W&C. None of those certifications specifically addresses live fire, yet all of them include it as part of the certification process.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Any info on what constitutes acceptable certification? I'm an NRA Certified Pistol and CCW instructor, as well as MSP instructor for HQL and W&C. None of those certifications specifically addresses live fire, yet all of them include it as part of the certification process.

SHe said the NRA pistol class as well s instructor would pass. YMMV. Call them and ask when you make an appt. When I told her I have an HQL, she asked if I had the cert from the training. Since I am exempt, I did not. SO I am SOL...
    I asked her about my other CCW's and NRA Rifle instructor (no go) and she said she needs to see the training cert...

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I'm a little surprised about the (if it is indeed) blanket No to the out of state CCWs as evidence. At least with a neighboring state like MD, you'd think they'd know you literally can't carry the permit without a live fire test. They shouldn't be expected to know the nuances of every state's permit requirements, but you'd think they'd be up to speed on PA, MD, VA, OH, KY, TN and NC since they at least share borders and a fair amount of coming-and-going between residents.

I have my signed-off range tests from the MD W&C permit classes, but I wonder if WV would consider it stale after X months.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    According to the lady I talked with, the live fire HAS to be handgun. I don't know anything about the First steps class, so if that includes handguns, it should pass. Still, ask when you make you appt.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    According to the lady I talked with, the live fire HAS to be handgun. I don't know anything about the First steps class, so if that includes handguns, it should pass. Still, ask when you make you appt.
    Yes, sorry, it is a handgun class.

I took it a long time ago to get the FLA permit, and even though it was a very introductory class, it had live fire, and I even had to field strip the .45 I used (should have brought a revolver instead of a semi-auto pistol :D).

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I'm a little surprised about the (if it is indeed) blanket No to the out of state CCWs as evidence. At least with a neighboring state like MD, you'd think they'd know you literally can't carry the permit without a live fire test. They shouldn't be expected to know the nuances of every state's permit requirements, but you'd think they'd be up to speed on PA, MD, VA, OH, KY, TN and NC since they at least share borders and a fair amount of coming-and-going between residents.

I have my signed-off range tests from the MD W&C permit classes, but I wonder if WV would consider it stale after X months.

Unfortunately the statute doesn't allow them to actually use their heads and know that MD has a ton of hoops to jump through which should be adequate for WV's training requirement. If the non-resident permit happens to take off then perhaps the legislature could pass a bill that allows a sort of reciprocity where certain states' permits would be used in lieu of a training certificate.
    The range test should work no matter if it was done last week or 10 years ago. The statute has no time limit for the training.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

They should just have a list of classes that qualify. My NRA basic pistol and first steps don't even say on the certificate whether there's live fire or not.
    I take it you just apply on the existing form? The WVSP website still shows the old application form.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    More I look into it, this actually isn’t even a necessary permit, I think I’ll pass. Anyone not prohibited over age 21 can CCW. Seems like the benefit is more for the reciprocity if needed, but doesn’t help for my case as I’m already covered in the states they list.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    More I look into it, this actually isn’t even a necessary permit, I think I’ll pass. Anyone not prohibited over age 21 can CCW. Seems like the benefit is more for the reciprocity if needed, but doesn’t help for my case as I’m already covered in the states they list.
    This. But not just ccw. Open carry is also legal without a permit. As stated above, I have a permit for the reciprocity factor which is very handy when traveling to VA (only 5 minutes from my house) or PA and points south. North? It's still a landmine but there is nothing up that way that particularly interests me anyway. Ironically, now that CCW has finally arrived for MDers, you all will be able to carry in MD but I will not. MD continues to exasperate five years after leaving. Not that I'm complaining too much because I would never return for the other myriad reasons people leave MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom