• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    One thing to point out is lights that extend past the muzzle tend to collect more GSR than ones that end behind the muzzle. They’ll both get some on it and you’ll need to clean the lens periodically.

The advantage of having the light go out past the muzzle is that if you press the gun into someone it won't go out of battery. Like for instance in a struggle and you are pushing the gun into the attacker it can still fire.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    One thing to point out is lights that extend past the muzzle tend to collect more GSR than ones that end behind the muzzle. They’ll both get some on it and you’ll need to clean the lens periodically.

Pencil eraser works great for clearing that up and then toss chapstick or other similar oil on the lense. It'll make it so further crud just wipes off

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    If you are planning on running an Olight, make sure to use high quality batteries, ie Surefire or Streamlight, I've heard issues about Olights blowing up due to faulty batteries, this include Olight branded batteries. If you are going to run a surefire, make sure to losen the mounting screws BEFORE you mount it on, and then tighten it while it is on the rails, when I first mounted mine on I had to hammer it out due to the screws being too tight

I've been using the Battery Junction CR123s

https://www.batteryjunction.com/tpen-tcr123a-.html

Supposedly has protection for short circuits. Been ok so far.

Q

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The advantage of having the light go out past the muzzle is that if you press the gun into someone it won't go out of battery. Like for instance in a struggle and you are pushing the gun into the attacker it can still fire.

That’s what chainsaw bayonets are for. :lol2:

Arcticwolf

Certified Brute
    May 28, 2008
    I’ve been carrying a streamlight TLR1 on my duty weapon for 7 years. I’ve seen the switches break on them, I JBwelded the problem areas on mine so the issue doesn’t happen to me. I’d recommend looking at the sure fire brand.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I’ve been carrying a streamlight TLR1 on my duty weapon for 7 years. I’ve seen the switches break on them, I JBwelded the problem areas on mine so the issue doesn’t happen to me. I’d recommend looking at the sure fire brand.

I'd rather have 3 TLRs than 1 Surefire but that's just me.

Bohemian

Nov 7, 2009
    You going to throw that on your pistol? ok?

I'm a fan & owner of Rein's and Owl's on SBR/Pistol AR's...

yeah, i was thinking their micro is smaller than it is...
    So I'll clairify...
    The Owl & Rein are the two best lights for pistols & rifles, but for pistols they're more suited for the ar/ak platform pistols with 7-1/2" + barrels than the plastic fantastic's like the Glocks...

I always have a light on at home 24x7 and have battery backup emergency lighting and do not currently own a light for a pistol in the glock size...
    I may get one for one of my 1911's though. But a revolver is my go-to for home defense...
    no magazine springs to go south from being loaded too long, never has a fail to feed.

The Streamlight's are better suited to the glock size pistols and would be hard to beat for that footprint imho.
    https://www.streamlight.com/products/explore-products/weapon-mounted-lights

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

So I'll clairify...
    The Owl & Rein are the two best lights for pistols & rifles, but for pistols they're more suited for the ar/ak platform pistols with 7-1/2" + barrels than the plastic fantastic's like the Glocks...
    no magazine springs to go south from being loaded too long, never has a fail to feed.

Never in the history of semi magazines has this been proven true.
    Compression and expansion(use) of those springs weakens them.

Why are Owl and Rein lights the best?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Olights from Ghina FTW

Attachments

• 20201226_091000.jpg
      20201226_091000.jpg
      67.3 KB · Views: 118
    • 20201226_091020.jpg
      20201226_091020.jpg
      70.7 KB · Views: 127

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    One vote for the streamlight here. I have the 8A flex.

I have a surefire as well, my newest, and I regret it a bit. The switch is very stiff and difficult to operate. The streamlight is VERY easy to control. The surefire will probably end up on a rifle, or something that can mount a pressure pad.

One thing I like about the surefire, is that it extends a bit past the muzzle on my fnx45tac. It should prevent the slide going out of battery, in a close contact type situation. It is brighter, but that can be a liability as well, a lot of reflection back at me indoors.

Bohemian

Nov 7, 2009
    Never in the history of semi magazines has this been proven true.
    Compression and expansion(use) of those springs weakens them.

Why are Owl and Rein lights the best?

actually the loaded spring fed magazine fatigue issue is a well known, documented fact...
    Which is a major reason why those that are aware of it don't leave their mags fully loaded, they'll usually load 1 or 2 less than full capacity to extend the fully loaded, and sitting fatigue life and or cycle their loaded mags at an interval.

There are many that claim to have never experienced the issue and that you can leave them loaded indefintely, I disagree and have had way too many personal experiences with multiple firearms to say it's not a legit issue. So for home defense I go with a revolver to not take a chance, one less permutation for me to consider. For EDC I carry fully loaded mags, which I reload and cycle every day. I have 8 mags in rotation.

My Glock 36 (.45acp) litterally had rounds fall out of the mag after sitting loaded for a month at a time... brand new glock factory mags, multiple times... sitting compressed fatigue, not load, shoot, repeat fatigue.

IF you've ever seen sagging leaf & coil springs on car's and trucks, they got that way from the vehicle weight on them 24x7 and or towing and substained, prolonged compression is what shortens the life of all springs more than compress & release.

This is a well-known, age old problem, I first learned about it 30+ years ago in the USMC in bootcamp as applicable to then m16's and 1911's.

What causes springs to wear out?
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-causes-springs-to-wear-out.519055/

Spring Creep and Fatigue
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/creep-and-fatigue.259098/

Here's a good 411 on the Cloud Defensive Lights:
    https://www.pewpewtactical.com/cloud-defensive-rein-review/

Bohemian

Nov 7, 2009
    I guess spec ops guys should use revolvers.

that's not what i'm saying.

In a nut shell if you want to have a zero percent chance of a bad magazine spring or a fail to feed which are two problems unique to semi auto's...

A revolver is a good choice in a home defense scenairo for at least those two reasons.

Peace.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    that's not what i'm saying.

In a nut shell if you want to have a zero percent chance of a bad magazine spring or a fail to feed which are two problems unique to semi auto's...

A revolver is a good choice in a home defense scenairo for at least those two reasons.

Peace.
    3cc5cad865f33192e993f12f510e6f61.jpg

Arcticwolf

Certified Brute
    May 28, 2008
    I'd rather have 3 TLRs than 1 Surefire but that's just me.

I mean, if you do the fix I did, they are fine. My supervisor had one on his patrol rifle and the switch cracked and snapped off while he was shooting. One of my shift partners had his switch crack and fail as well, he sent it in to have it replaced. I believe the fix was free. I haven't heard of this issue on the surefire products. I am aware they cost more but the original post referred to money not being an object. Personally I would like to pick up an XC-1.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

So I'll clairify...

I always have a light on at home 24x7 and have battery backup emergency lighting and do not currently own a light for a pistol in the glock size...
    I may get one for one of my 1911's though. But a revolver is my go-to for home defense...

The Streamlight's are better suited to the glock size pistols and would be hard to beat for that footprint imho.
    https://www.streamlight.com/products/explore-products/weapon-mounted-lights

Revolvers have a lot of points of failure on them. They aren't the model of reliability relative to something like a glock that you're suggesting they are. Something cool about them is that if a primer is bad, your next trigger press automatically clears the malfunction for you with no tap rack bang... assuming it's not a popped primer that jams up the mechanism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom