• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Or if not bear traps can’t you use a razor wire fence?

Good 'ol concertina wire. That chit is WICKED. I've seen a long coil of it stop a M60A3 tank in it's tracks, once enough of it got wrapped into the drive sprockets

viiper

Re-Member
    Dec 3, 2008
    Carroll County
    For me, I don't think I could stay, even if moving was at a financial loss. Someone that actually tried to kill their son will never be right in the head, just isn't meant for this world. You'll never be able to understand or apply norms to any situation with this person, even if you think its going OK for the time being. If something tragic ever happens, its as if this story was already written, and no one will be surprised. Just a perspective, and wish you the best possible outcome, but suggest reading over a few times with a few close friends and family the circumstances you laid out and figuring out if its worth the stress and risk.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Someone already said it, don't make it a habit to talk to this guy or be friendly. Now you will be his only focus in life. If he clearly trespasses, tell him not to. If it happens again tell him the cops will be called, and the 3rd time make the call.

Don't chit chat with crazy people.

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    Open carry and fencing has kept it peaceful here. It's best to fence the property line immediately following the survey. Carry a pistol on your hip when ever your outside.

No wifi cameras allowed here. I'm in the process of setting up a wired camera system that can be viewed and controlled from 3 separate rooms. All the video is stored on a server in the house. I have short term battery backup for the cameras and server.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Get a survey. Put up "no trespassing" signs on every single tree along the property line.

Every single time he comes over, just repeat this:. "I am not inviting you onto my property. Please leave immediately and do not come back."

Don't even engage or listen to the property argument before the survey.
    What do those magic words unlock??

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Highly visible posting of property, lawyer (letter to legally inform neighbor that property is posted/private), property survey (lawyer will recommend), trail cams with security boxes, Blink (not Ring) web based security cams (use WiFi extenders to increase range outdoors). Fence the property line if possible. If you can (legal distance, safe backstop etc.), set up targets and shoot. If trespassing occurs, get documentation from Sheriff's office.

There is likely a county system accessible on the web that will show property lines. Also, a quick visit to the county office and review of property plat maps may help you out. You should also be able to locate property markers (unless they have been removed - I have trail cams covering mine), and a cheap magnetometer helps with this. From the plat maps, determine which company/surveyor did the property division, as they may be able to help.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Crazy , irrational , and stoned is not a good combination . Add built in , unavoidable grievance about you living in " His House " . The usual No Trespassing " , etc requires a measure of rationality or sanity to be effective .

Best case scenario is that elderly- ish drug using doesn't have long life expectancy .

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    When you post the property alternate signs at eye level and high up. Make sure the high ones are at least 10ft up so they cant easily be destroyed. Mount the low ones on 3/4" plywood and attach to trees with lag bolts. Throw some non removable blue spray paint blazes on trees, these are legal no trespassing signs in maryland too. Put game cameras up pointing at the signs. Dont bother investing in the cell based ones, buy several of the $50-$100 ones, try your best to hide them and put them 15 feet up pointing down and secure them with wire or chain. Make it take as long as possible to remove everything to improve your chances of catching him in the act .

I unfortunately had an experience with a person similar to this. Posting "their" property, ruining their view, treating them like a criminal, you might be poking the crazy tiger with a stick. The goal would be to get them on camera destroying your cheap signs, especially if they have already been trespassed, before they start moving on to more valuable things like your house.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    It is, but depending on property lines he may only have to fence what is adjacent to crazy.

Also, a fence solely designed to create a property line doesn't have to be secure, pretty or durable. Stamped steel posts with one strand of barbed wire and 'no trespassing' signs every x feet is all it takes after the surveyor has staked the property line.

Oh, make sure the surveyor sinks steel rods at the corners so if crazy moves the wooden stakes, you can prove his misdemeanor criminal conduct.

And don't rely on the county GIS if you want to argue property lines, particularly if the line was defined by a crik at the time of subdivision. You need a surveyor to look a the gobbedlygook in the property description and stake it out for you.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    This brings back some bad memories of a previous neighbor. Both husband and wife were aggressive assholes, and were fanatics about not stepping or driving on their part of the driveway (which is connected to mine). Nothing I tried could make peace, so I tried to find a voodoo priestess to put a hex on them. No luck. They finally moved back to NJ (these were the folks that give that state a bad rep), and the current neighbors are terrific.

The world would be a better place if these folks, and people like them, ceased to exist. Sadly, those of us with morals and a conscience can't do what would make that happen. But we can darn sure fantasize. :innocent0

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Does anyone remember that video from PA and the neighbor snow removal incident? Good fences make good neighbors, and don't be an *******. Karma is a bitch.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I would have some type of perimeter security system and multiple 'good' smoke detectors. I wouldn't put it past someone like that to burn the house down. A sobering thought but something you should consider.

bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    Next time you catch him on your property, take him(may have to use some persuasion) to a secluded portion and have him start digging a hole. Tell him he had ample opportunity to mind his own business, but chose to invade your privacy. After he pisses himself, allow him to leave with the understanding that he never again sets a foot on your property, or anything you think is yours.

Credit given to a scene from Yellowstone for the idea.

yeahhhh

Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA
    There is a saying “Give them enough rope to hang them selves. Playing defense never wins. Force the neighbor into the trap that has been carefully laid, and be prepared to do what must be done. Probably save the taxpayers a large sum of money in the future as well.

Vodnik4

Between two waters
    Jan 8, 2021
    Slower, lower MD
    I see no good, or easy solutions here. Hey, its a sellers market.

there’s a limited number of properties with convenient commute to work, but unlimited supply of crazy ahole neighbors.

Almost everyone on this thread has experienced this situation — wherever one moves, it’s likely to repeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom