• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I now, always tip in cash directly to the server. If you put it on the CC, there is a damn good chance it will get pooled. Your server will only get a percentage of the total tips for the week. That percentage is based on the number of hours they worked. The less hours they work, the less tips they receive. So the $20 tip for the great service, your server may only see $2 bucks.
    The ice cream shop my daughter works for does this and everyone gets screwed on tips.

TIP IN CASH!

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    When I get takeout from the Main Cup in Middletown or my favorite Chinese place I normally tip 10%. Bill for two people usually is $28 so I normally give $31. When I go to a sit down meal at a restaurant like Glory Days I tip 20-25% because I’m a regular and the servers/bartenders anticipate my needs. When I need another Guinness I’m brought one without asking and they usually know how I like my burgers/wings. Exceptional service gets exceptional rewards. Plus they all still make below minimum wage.

^^^ Yep

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    I have worked tip wages as has my wife and 3 kids. In the way back times, tips made a difference for us. I tip well, even for carry out.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I tip carry out for my normal Friday night spot. They great me and the misses with mr and Mrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I tip at carry out places. A friend of mine worked at Applebee’s and would complain about getting stuck at the car side service. She said they make the same $2.xx an hour as the other servers and most people did not tip the carry out servers so they made next to nothing for the shifts stuck working carry out. I am not sure if all places do this but, I started tipping 10-15% for the carry out employees after hearing about it.

My daughter worked as a server while going to college. (She just graduated, and I'll be helping her move from Tampa to Boston next week.) That was her experience as well. She got the same base pay whether she was serving tables or working at the carry-out table. She hated carry-out, as few tipped well or at all.

I now, always tip in cash directly to the server. If you put it on the CC, there is a damn good chance it will get pooled. Your server will only get a percentage of the total tips for the week. That percentage is based on the number of hours they worked. The less hours they work, the less tips they receive. So the $20 tip for the great service, your server may only see $2 bucks.
    The ice cream shop my daughter works for does this and everyone gets screwed on tips.

TIP IN CASH!

Again, a similar story with my daughter. Her tips were pooled, but it was based on a percentage of the bills, not her hours served. For CC payments, her "tip out" was some percentage of whatever tip she received. For cash payments, an assumed tip was imputed and she had to tip out on that assumed amount.

That meant for good tables that paid in cash, she could pocket the difference above the assumed amount. But that would sometimes bite her in the opposite way.

Indeed our last trip down there we visited her restaurant (Tiki Docks in Tampa) and by coincidence it was one of her worst nights. We were seated in her section, and she had a multi-table party of ... let's just say entitled demographics. They were finding the least little thing to complain about, asking to see the manager frequently, asking for the corporate number, etc. I saw one "lady" tell Victoria that she never got the wings appetizers that she ordered, Victoria apologized and went to the back to get another plate, at which point the "lady" pulled a plate of wings out from under the table and passed them around while Victoria was away. Blatant theft. They were all laughing about it; this was clearly a game with them. The bill for the entire party was about $650, no one left a tips, and some left early without paying anything towards their bill at all! (The manager had to comp. those bills.) Despite all of that, Victoria still had to tip out a percentage of the total $650 bill out of her own pocket, so she actually lost money for the night.

My wife and I just swung by to see her late Saturday night. We got two soft drinks and two pieces of pie. I tipped her $100 - in cash.

Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit
    I usually do, especially at places I go to often. At my usual spots, they know who I am and hustle to make sure I'm not waiting or getting bad service.

I will not tip takeout if I have to wait oram otherwise not impressed with the service.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I tipped the deli workers at Sheetz cuz I had a huge drunk order, and everyone in line was pissed off how long they were taking.

I usually only tip at sit down / bar / delivery. Also service workers that come to the house.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    [Kev308];6377720 said:
    I tipped the deli workers at Sheetz cuz I had a huge drunk order, and everyone in line was pissed off how long they were taking.

I usually only tip at sit down / bar / delivery. Also service workers that come to the house.

Driving drunk no bueno. ;)

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    If someone tells me I have to tip, I tip. Here is my tip for them, " Get a better job and you will not be dependent upon tips.". I think being told that I have to do something is good enough reason not to. On the other hand, When I go out and the service is good, I generally tip very well. There are a few times when I have left some serious tips, $1,000 +.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    If someone tells me I have to tip, I tip. Here is my tip for them, " Get a better job and you will not be dependent upon tips.". I think being told that I have to do something is good enough reason not to. On the other hand, When I go out and the service is good, I generally tip very well. There are a few times when I have left some serious tips, $1,000 +.

*****Hunter Biden used to tip like that for good foot service.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

TIP IN CASH!
    I usually pay by credit card, but almost always tip in cash. In the “tip” line on the receipt I write “taxation is theft”. It entertains me.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I look for reasons to tip well - 25% and up. Sometimes it's the pizza shop. Sometimes it's a sit down dinner. I did stop going to a couple of places that added 18% to my bill and then handed me a check with a blank space for a tip. Just my wife and I. That crap really drives me nuts.

Sylvester The Cat

Jun 18, 2021
    Speaking of tipped workers, I personally threw up in my mouth when I saw the commercials to "Save a starving bar tender" during the peak of the Chinese Lab Derived Virus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom