• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Odarlin1

Ultimate Member
    https://americanmilitarynews.com/20...confiscation-is-unconstitutional-in-9-0-vote/

The Supreme Court ruled Monday that warrantless gun confiscation from Americans’ homes is unconstitutional, voting unanimously on the side of a Rhode Island man whose firearms were taken by law enforcement without a warrant after his wife expressed concerns that he might hurt himself.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    OMG!! This is extremely unsettling...to have a favorable and sensible ruling from those people...is the end of the world THAT close?

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Maybe i don't follow SCOTUS well and every opinion , but i believe the court will not go for the most radical ideas . I think they go for basic law & order and history for the most part .

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm not getting too excited about this one, although a win is a win. This case was about police acting completely on their own, without a court order. Maryland's red flag law requires a court signoff on the confiscation, albeit with a very low evidentiary standard and completely ex parte. SCOTUS hasn't ruled on that sort of law yet.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    I'm not getting too excited about this one, although a win is a win. This case was about police acting completely on their own, without a court order. Maryland's red flag law requires a court signoff on the confiscation, albeit with a very low evidentiary standard and completely ex parte. SCOTUS hasn't ruled on that sort of law yet.

This above and that is what is still scary..

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    Still a unanimous ruling in the right direction is always a good thing.

Yes it is... However, the OP post is misleading as all SCOTUS ruled on was that it is not legal for police to confiscate your firearms without a warrant unless a crime has been committed or in progress.. At least that's the way I read it.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Yeah, if you read the whole article it states that the police lied to the wife about having permission from her husband to search and seize the firearms. But don't worry Bidens DOJ said that was reasonable within the 4th ammendment.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Alitos concurring opinion doesn't seem to indicate this is OK. Court sign off on an order abridging not one but TWO civil rights (2nd and 4th) is still as kosher as a bacon wrapped pulled pork sammich with cheese.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Alitos concurring opinion doesn't seem to indicate this is OK. Court sign off on an order abridging not one but TWO civil rights (2nd and 4th) is still as kosher as a bacon wrapped pulled pork sammich with cheese.

Now I’m hungry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

Hopefully SCOTUS will get, and accept, a case that lets them decide this for MD-style laws that have a patina of court approval, but with a basically pinky-swear level of evidence. But until they do, we're stuck with current MD law and have to hope it doesn't get worse in the meantime.

The MD Party's argument is that "You do get due process after the confiscation has occurred". That's what SCOTUS needs to step on, hard.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Did Roberts get a bonk on the head? Why is he so pro-Constitution lately?

I'm surprised Roberts had the courage to vote with the majority.

That's my reading between the lines also. Almost sounded like the court is eager to get a red flag case before it.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Did Roberts get a bonk on the head? Why is he so pro-Constitution lately?

It would have been very unlikely to have the libs and conservatives agree on an issue but Roberts be the sole dissenter.
    The 4th Amendment has actually not been one the conservatives have typically been strong on. Glad they got this one right but it's been pointed out this was a relatively small step. It's amazing both lower courts got it wrong.
    On another note Kavanaugh said the 4th amendment was made applicable to the states in 1868??? Did I miss something?
    I thought none of the BoR was incorporated until the early 1900's?

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan

I'm not an advocate of Red flag laws or ERPO's. I was and still will be against this law. Same for most of the Sheriff's in Maryland are.
    Sheriff Jenkins in Frederick hate this too.

The rub is here... https://mdcourts.gov/district/ERPO#can painted as a civil matter in courts.

An Extreme Risk Protective Order (ERPO) is a court-issued civil order temporarily requiring a person to:

surrender any firearms or ammunition to law enforcement; and
    not purchase or possess firearms or ammunition.

There is a difference between surrender to law and confiscation!

We really need MSI to take this to court and WIN!

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm not an advocate of Red flag laws or ERPO's. I was and still will be against this law. Same for most of the Sheriff's in Maryland are.
    Sheriff Jenkins in Frederick hate this too.

The rub is here... https://mdcourts.gov/district/ERPO#can painted as a civil matter in courts.

An Extreme Risk Protective Order (ERPO) is a court-issued civil order temporarily requiring a person to:

surrender any firearms or ammunition to law enforcement; and
    not purchase or possess firearms or ammunition.

There is a difference between surrender to law and confiscation!

I don't see much difference between a coerced surrender under threat of imprisonment for contempt of court, and confiscation. Failure to comply with either ultimately results in imprisonment, just that one pathway is slightly less direct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom