• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Alright,
    So I want to put a sling on my RAR, but I'm thinking on the side of the stock. Is there enough "meat" in the RAR stock to mount flush cups?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking of. Grovtech just got back to me. They said while one would work on the butt, there's not enough "meat" on the forend. Granted, I don't know how big they are, but looking at this guys build...

https://www.serenityarms.com/ruger-american-ranch-project/

It looks like there could be room...

You could fill the forend with epoxy or JB Weld. Either fill the whole thing to stiffen it up, or just a portion around the swivel base.

Last edited:

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Ok,
    Here's the latest...

I’m not sure your question. If you’re talking about the front, there is no room in the front top mount it on the side, as it does not have enough surface area to have a durable and reliable mounting. You can attempt to do this, but you will either, contact the barrel, no longer making the barrel free float as it was designed by the factory, or it will not have very much contact which can cause the threads to pull out the stock under load; or both. Adding a washer in any case while using our product further reduces the thread’s contact area even more, making it more likely to come out.

Mounting it on the side of the rear stock will work. But the article you sent me had the front where they replaced the stud with a PB base. Which you usually don’t want to have them alternating, as it does not carry well. Usually you’d either be on the bottom or the side, no one and the other.

In the article, they do not reference what they did for the rear. As the thin tapered surface of a stock on the bottom does not allow for proper mounting of a 0.500” long w/ a major diameter thread of up to 0.5611”.

What I was thinking was that if a piece (in orange) could be fabbed (metal or plastic) to act as a brace or filler for the push button basde to fit in.

w5Z2ACbh.jpg

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Ok,
    Here's the latest...

I’m not sure your question. If you’re talking about the front, there is no room in the front top mount it on the side, as it does not have enough surface area to have a durable and reliable mounting. You can attempt to do this, but you will either, contact the barrel, no longer making the barrel free float as it was designed by the factory, or it will not have very much contact which can cause the threads to pull out the stock under load; or both. Adding a washer in any case while using our product further reduces the thread’s contact area even more, making it more likely to come out.

Mounting it on the side of the rear stock will work. But the article you sent me had the front where they replaced the stud with a PB base. Which you usually don’t want to have them alternating, as it does not carry well. Usually you’d either be on the bottom or the side, no one and the other.

In the article, they do not reference what they did for the rear. As the thin tapered surface of a stock on the bottom does not allow for proper mounting of a 0.500” long w/ a major diameter thread of up to 0.5611”.

What I was thinking was that if a piece (in orange) could be fabbed (metal or plastic) to act as a brace or filler for the push button basde to fit in.

w5Z2ACbh.jpg

Fill it in with epoxy? Fill it in with something like bedding compound or JB weld.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom