• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Any MDShooters going?

I'm interested in this, but don't know much about it and was thinking of going up just to watch for an hour or so.

Was just wondering if anyone here else participates in these...

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    It's part of the Mason Dixon PRS series. They go between Mayberry,New Holland, and Mifflin. It's a fun series. I was there in squad 3. I shoot a 223 w/ 75gr ELDMs. Did you make it out sunday?

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Yes - I was there. I was the guy standing off to the side with the two little kids and my wife for about an hour in the morning (that's as long as the kids attention span would hold out)

Looked like a blast - I saw one 223 there - maybe that was you?

It looked like a hell of a lot of fun and I think I'm going to give it a swing with a 5.56 to start (my only other rifle caliber is a 30-06 bolt gun set up with a BDC reticle scope). So I'm working up one of my rifles a little bit (mil scope with turrets and a better stock). I'm mostly interested to improve my shooting and knowledge of shooting long range.

I'm on the fence with whether I should try to shoot the last match at Mayberry. Might be better to get some practice through the winter, although I know I would learn a lot more if I just jumped in.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I saw you there. I wish I would have seen the post before the match. They are a helpful bunch. They have a beginners match for all the newbies at the beginning of the year. If you have decent DOPE for your rifle out to 600 it's worth just giving it a try. The main communication is through their FB page. All the guns pretty much look the same, except for the gas guns. I shoot a bolt 223, its the same class as the AR's. I was the 50yr old clean shaved , and shaved/short hair guy in black shorts and kneepads on most of the day. A little on the plump side...lol. I had a black/siver MPA chassis w/ Razor Gen II on top if you were looking at the guns. I put it to the left side of the range access road when I was waiting on the stage where you were with your kids.

I say just jump in and try it as long as your dope is close enough to have all your misses still be landing on the appropriate berms. 1 MOA out to 600 is the rule of thumb to compete with any reasonable success.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    What is the max target distance during Mayberry PRS matches? Can an AR-15 in .223 or another AR-15 based cartridge rifle be used? (Some confusion on web info as to only bolt guns for certain matches?) Are distances for each stage provided before the match? Thanks.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I saw you there. I wish I would have seen the post before the match. They are a helpful bunch. They have a beginners match for all the newbies at the beginning of the year. If you have decent DOPE for your rifle out to 600 it's worth just giving it a try. The main communication is through their FB page. All the guns pretty much look the same, except for the gas guns. I shoot a bolt 223, its the same class as the AR's. I was the 50yr old clean shaved , and shaved/short hair guy in black shorts and kneepads on most of the day. A little on the plump side...lol. I had a black/siver MPA chassis w/ Razor Gen II on top if you were looking at the guns. I put it to the left side of the range access road when I was waiting on the stage where you were with your kids.

I say just jump in and try it as long as your dope is close enough to have all your misses still be landing on the appropriate berms. 1 MOA out to 600 is the rule of thumb to compete with any reasonable success.

Yeah - I remember you! Getting dope out to 600 in the next few weeks may be difficult, but not impossible. 300 would probably be more likely. What's more likely is that I won't be able to find any match grade 556 or work out a load (I am new to reloading and have never had a need to reload 556) that would allow any decent/repeatable data to be gathered. But I should probably just get it on the range to find out.

Tanner22

Jan 9, 2021
    Taylorsville
    If you are doing Mason Dixon, better be quick on the trigger at sign up time online. They fill up and sell out in minutes once the doors open online.

Last edited:

Tanner22

Jan 9, 2021
    Taylorsville
    Another series to look at is the one by Guardian ministries. Entry fee is tax deductible for charity. They do about 8 events a year around the country. I've shot the one at Frontline Defense in North Carolina twice, doing Pigg River this October with my son. Stages are usually 10 on Saturday and 5 on Sunday, 90 seconds per stage, 10 rounds ammo per stage. NO pressure, plenty of help, ZERO attitudes. Sunday, you are paired up in 2 person teams by how you scored on Saturday. Last with first, next to last with second, and so on. Max distance on stage is 1000 yards. There's a 2 man team match in November in South Carolina at a closed down nuke facility. Be in shape for that one! Check out the website. Gary Larson runs a great thing.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Quick (silly?) question regarding PRS matches like the MDPRS. Shooters are seen in online videos ejecting cases and moving on or between elements of the course. I assume one right after another. Are shooters given time after they have completed each element/station to collect their brass? (Considerable time and money has been invested in cases and case prep.)

Also, is there anywhere online where a course of fire description of a past MDPRS match can be downloaded and looked at? (Full realization that the next would be different, but just to get an idea of the elements and distances.) Any help appreciated.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    We usually pickup brass for each other and occasionally the RO’s do. The COFs are not posted anywhere. They are usually handed out at the match or emailed the day prior

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Also, is there anywhere online where a course of fire description of a past MDPRS match can be downloaded and looked at? (Full realization that the next would be different, but just to get an idea of the elements and distances.) Any help appreciated.

See attached COF from 2016...

Attachments

• 2016-PRS-Finale-Match-Book.pdf
      1.3 MB · Views: 83

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads