• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I like the Taccom short stroke system, cuts the stroke down to 2" and reduces recoil/movement substantially, but still plain blowback, I use a 10oz KVP buffer and 308 spring with mine.
    Oh, I love the hell out of the short stroke system. I use an ESSB with a short stroke buffer system (3 stage), and it's fantastic. What I didn't have success with was the magnetic system.

TBH, if the MPX works out well enough, I may just buy a second one and call it a day.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Oh, I love the hell out of the short stroke system. I use an ESSB with a short stroke buffer system (3 stage), and it's fantastic. What I didn't have success with was the magnetic system.

TBH, if the MPX works out well enough, I may just buy a second one and call it a day.

Same with me, the magnetic system just felt like running a light buffer, no idea if it did anything or not, just a quick hard slap to the shoulder. The short stroke feels noticeably faster with a quick light bump to the recoil, FAR better system to buy into. Less gas in the face suppressed, and once you get a trigger that works it runs 100%. Their superfeed barrels are epic also, mine with the ESSB runs everything HP or FMJ very well, not a huge change in ejection or feel from light subsonic match loads up to hot defensive ammo. That is why i'm kinda hoping the Scheel rolled delay buffer/tube system works, keep all I like about the Taccom system, but less brutal to triggers, lighter mass and hopefully even lighter recoil. I'm concerned about the stress it might place on the lower being the tube boss and pins end up taking a lot of force, and the steel rollers locking into the holes cut in the aluminum tube, but if it works it could be a game changer.

The MPX is on another level than anything blowback or delayed blowback, it's a full locked bolt and short stroke, the BCG weighs about 1/2 of an AR9's carrier alone without a separate buffer, and 2 light springs. Nothing else really compares to it IMO.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, the MPX's fully locked action is hard to argue with. I've heard the only downside is that you gotta clean the piston every match or two to ensure 100% operation... but the fact that you can put in a stupid awesome trigger while retaining teensy recoil makes me overlook that.

The JP-5 looks cool, but the price point is really beyond what I want to spend.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yeah, the MPX's fully locked action is hard to argue with. I've heard the only downside is that you gotta clean the piston every match or two to ensure 100% operation... but the fact that you can put in a stupid awesome trigger while retaining teensy recoil makes me overlook that.

The JP-5 looks cool, but the price point is really beyond what I want to spend.

Looks like I need an MPX.

I have a pre-13 22” SBR AR9. Colt pattern lower. I’m hoping to find a recoil system I love, so I don’t have to go 29”.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have a pre-13 22” SBR AR9. Colt pattern lower. I’m hoping to find a recoil system I love, so I don’t have to go 29”.
    I do, too, but it's a regular AR lower that was using a magblock, so weirdly enough, the RDB+Endomags solution is pretty good. The problem is that my son's shooting sport doesn't allow PCC SBRs (or "pistols"), so cranking barrel length down isn't super useful to me right now. I guess I could just swap uppers or whatever. Wish I could go super-short on my QC10 lower, but that's a post-ban lower.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I do, too, but it's a regular AR lower that was using a magblock, so weirdly enough, the RDB+Endomags solution is pretty good. The problem is that my son's shooting sport doesn't allow PCC SBRs (or "pistols"), so cranking barrel length down isn't super useful to me right now. I guess I could just swap uppers or whatever. Wish I could go super-short on my QC10 lower, but that's a post-ban lower.

Same reason I kept my QC5 as a pistol. I ever make it out of this crap-hole of a state, I'll SBR it post haste.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Integral suppressor is probably the best way, IMO.
    I'm going to try to finish the upgrades to my lathe this weekend. A reflex suppressor permanently attached to a 9mm should be stupid quiet.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'll chime in and say that I have a Foxtrot Mike AR 9 upper and lower and it seems to work just fine, even with the last round bolt hold open. Although I have not run this rig very hard; just casual shooting paper.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Blowback PCCs run better with shorter barrels, pressure drops quicker, less gas in the face. I SBR-ed an Aero EPC with 5.25"Taccom/ESSB and it's easily my favorite to shoot(9" handguard and 3 lug to tuck a suppressor or flash can). Can dump mag after mag without issue. My 16" competition PCC was really bad out of the box, despite being a side charger. Heavy buffers help, but made a big kydex gas deflector that really made it much better. If I started over I would use the taccom 16" barrel, basically a 5.25" barrel with a tube sleeve to get to 16".
    20210712_224105.jpg

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My Scheel roller delayed thingy is out for delivery. Very excited. Going to try it with a standard 9mm upper. I’ll throw my radial delayed upper on it too, just for fun. Hope to get out later today or tomorrow. Probably going to be next weekend.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would LOVE to have an SBR PCC with say an 6 - 8" barrel. Even better if it was in 45 ACP or 10mm.

I like my 5'' barrel. It'll shoot 3-4" groups at 100 yds. Not what I made it for, but nice to know it can do it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My delivery is here. Neat system. Easy to assemble. There are springs inside the buffer that cause the rollers to line up. They sent 4 heavy and 4 light springs. The recoil spring is very light. The rollers must really suck up some energy. The rollers are (obviously) exposed, and are almost flush with the outside of the buffer tube. Should be a simple process to make a dust cover or a bushing to go over them.

Attachments

• E7EE4263-010B-4A33-A2D8-7D906BA190E0.jpg
      E7EE4263-010B-4A33-A2D8-7D906BA190E0.jpg
      60.5 KB · Views: 106
    • 40957D00-521C-4B4C-B86E-6437807B8A33.jpg
      40957D00-521C-4B4C-B86E-6437807B8A33.jpg
      133.1 KB · Views: 106
    • 073F53FC-74B6-4AD4-A873-A24478E17A6E.jpg
      073F53FC-74B6-4AD4-A873-A24478E17A6E.jpg
      34.8 KB · Views: 111
    • 7DF3C1A9-99BE-4714-A058-6C66A4FC1174.jpg
      7DF3C1A9-99BE-4714-A058-6C66A4FC1174.jpg
      29.9 KB · Views: 111
    • CAF0539E-3C3A-4B42-ABB4-A9FAA1F50EC4.jpg
      CAF0539E-3C3A-4B42-ABB4-A9FAA1F50EC4.jpg
      24.2 KB · Views: 107

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    My delivery is here. Neat system. Easy to assemble. There are springs inside the buffer that cause the rollers to line up. They sent 4 heavy and 4 light springs. The recoil spring is very light. The rollers must really suck up some energy. The rollers are (obviously) exposed, and are almost flush with the outside of the buffer tube. Should be a simple process to make a dust cover or a bushing to go over them.

Definitely following this, looking forward to a range report.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Definitely following this, looking forward to a range report.

Hope to give one soon. I’ll probably get the gun together tomorrow. Should be able to compare side by side to a CMMG RDB system in my MILs backyard.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Hope to give one soon. I’ll probably get the gun together tomorrow. Should be able to compare side by side to a CMMG RDB system in my MILs backyard.

Still having issues with my CMMG RDB so I’m considering other options.
    I think I need to either take it to a gunsmith or get a set of 9mm headspace gauges as I think that’s where the problem lies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Still having issues with my CMMG RDB so I’m considering other options.
    I think I need to either take it to a gunsmith or get a set of 9mm headspace gauges as I think that’s where the problem lies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I had 9mm headspace gauges.

m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    First may I thank everyone here for their input and time. Alot of good info and suggestions that I very much appreciate and are currently looking through. As much of the info has helped in narrowing down my ideas, of course now I'm stuck between two ideas. Building (or modifying) a 9mm that looks like an M16A2(16in barrel, highbar sights, handguard with the rail, classic muzzle break,etc) or building something that would essentially be a modern Tommy gun (45acp,12-14in barrel, short handguard with a front grip, peep sight, drum mag, etc). Obviously I could simply build both and probably one day I will but which to begin on first is the issue. I also know there are better set ups then either one of those. Because I consider myself more of a collector then an enthusiast, I try to get firearms that are historical models, or just stuff that is simply old(most are 60+). So because of that I tend to stay away from stuff that the lay person would call an "assault rifle", just for sale of argument unless it's something old or historical.But with being able to essential build a replica of a classic weapon I love it, plus I've always wanted a Thompson M1A1 and with customization ability of the AR-15 I could build something similar. Just got to figure out which to start on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom