• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have my father's Colt M1911 that he was issued when he was in the Navy during Vietnam. Just curious how much it might be worth. I don't have pics right now but will list some of the information I've found on it.

Info. stamped on Left Side of Pistol slide above the handgrip:
    COLT’s. PT.F.A.MFG.CO.
    HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A.

Info. stamped on Left Side of Pistol slide forward of the handgrip:
    PATENTED APR.20,1897. SEPT.9,1902.
    DEC.19,1905. FEB.14,1911. AUG. 19,1913

Info. stamped on Left Side of Pistol body below the slide:
    UNITED STATES PROPERTY AA

Info. stamped on Left Side of Pistol just above the magazine release button:
    A small shallow stamp about 1/8 “ diameter with what looks like the initials JMH

Info. stamped on Right Side of Pistol slide above the frame:
    MODEL OF 1911 U.S. ARMY.

Info. stamped on Left Side of Pistol frame above the trigger:
    No. 258818

Pistol is in good shape with no damage

Any help would be appreciated.

Jul 1, 2012
    The serial number shows it originally shipped to "Commanding Officer, Springfield Armory" on March 27, 1918. The "AA" on the frame probably indicates Augusta Arsenal rebuild... the original finish should be a brushed blue. The inspectors mark above the mag release is "JMG" (Lt. Col. John M. Gilbert) where the bar on the G makes it look like an H.

Since it was issued in Vietnam era chances are excellent it was rebuilt at least once.
    If it has the "Rampant Colt" at the left rear of the slide (behind the serrations) it may be the original slide. If it's between the patent dates and the Colt address it's probably a later slide. The original grips were wood.

There's so much variation in value based on originality / correct parts, condition etc that a solid number is tough without a close exam. Aside from the priceless sentimental value, a wag would be $1500-ish if it has mostly original parts and has been parkerized / refinished.

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    The serial number shows it originally shipped to "Commanding Officer, Springfield Armory" on March 27, 1918. The "AA" on the frame probably indicates Augusta Arsenal rebuild... the original finish should be a brushed blue. The inspectors mark above the mag release is "JMG" (Lt. Col. John M. Gilbert) where the bar on the G makes it look like an H.

Since it was issued in Vietnam era chances are excellent it was rebuilt at least once.
    If it has the "Rampant Colt" at the left rear of the slide (behind the serrations) it may be the original slide. If it's between the patent dates and the Colt address it's probably a later slide. The original grips were wood.

There's so much variation in value based on originality / correct parts, condition etc that a solid number is tough without a close exam. Aside from the priceless sentimental value, a wag would be $1500-ish if it has mostly original parts and has been parkerized / refinished.

Agree with your assessment. The market for 1911A1 right now is much closer to 2k+ however. Market being defined as me looking at auction sites, CMP auction and other 1911A1 being sold. Also, this sounds like a 1911 that was upgraded to a 1911A1. Those aren’t incredibly common either, which would further increase value.

That being said, keep it and get buried with it.

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    I’m curious about how servicemen were able to keep their firearms. Was this standard practice with a defined process. Did officers get that opportunity ? I’m aware there are “bring back” firearms that exist where a firearm was perhaps found on the battlefield and made it home. Can those even be sold or transferred these many years later. Are they “stolen” from the US?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I’m curious about how servicemen were able to keep their firearms. Was this standard practice with a defined process. Did officers get that opportunity ? I’m aware there are “bring back” firearms that exist where a firearm was perhaps found on the battlefield and made it home. Can those even be sold or transferred these many years later. Are they “stolen” from the US?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I do know that there was a program that allowed those who were issued 1911's to purchase them. The program was in effect for a short time not long after I ETS'd. To my knowledge, officers have always been able to purchase their sidearm. There were a number of 1911's that were sold through the NRA, way back before congress was completely infested with idiots. One of my neighbors still has his 1911. He still has the paperwork from when it was issued to him.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I do know that there was a program that allowed those who were issued 1911's to purchase them. The program was in effect for a short time not long after I ETS'd. To my knowledge, officers have always been able to purchase their sidearm. There were a number of 1911's that were sold through the NRA, way back before congress was completely infested with idiots. One of my neighbors still has his 1911. He still has the paperwork from when it was issued to him.

That is a providence to that pistol. Priceless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom