• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Ever notice how the first 5-10 shots have more power than the rest of the cartridge? That's because releasing the CO2 cools the cartridge itself. The more you shoot, the less power you have because the cartidge and CO2 in it are cooling down.

I accidentally left a box of cartridges outside one cool night and shot right away in the morning. I was surprised that I got 2 or 3 more magazines out of the cartridges left out in the cold. The next few days were warm and my round count per cartridge returned to normal. Just for kicks I put my next box of cartidges in the refrigerator and sure enough, back to the high round count.

My theory is that until it cools off, a warm cartidge releases 3 or 4 times as much CO2 per shot compared to a prechilled cartridge. Since I shoot right in my back yard I can take the cartridges right out of the refrigerator into the gun, but you could use a cooler if you are farther from your house.

I don't need the higher power of the first few shots as much as I need a higher round count for practice.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I'm going to try this. My basement range has a mini-fridge right next to the firing line! Now I can load a cold one and crack a cold one from the same fridge.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Meanwhile , across the Fora Universe , there are two open threads about the secret tip to pre heat your CO 2 canister to get higher velocities .

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Meanwhile , across the Fora Universe , there are two open threads about the secret tip to pre heat your CO 2 canister to get higher velocities .

That certainly would work - for a very limited number of shots. Does that discussion get into the limited number of effective shots? Probably 6 or less in my estimation.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's human nature that more people will be jonesing for More Power than for saving a few cents .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There is a similar trick to using 'canned' air propellant for running air brushes. You put the can in warm water while spraying in order to keep the pressure constant and stable.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Works for refridgerant too ;-)

Speaking of refrigerant and BB's, when I was a kid my neighbors dad bought a full auto bb gun that used a can of R12. The eco nazis would go nuts today!!

Unfortunately, that's all he did - never saw him shoot it. I think they were advertised in the back of Outdoor Life, 'cause I always lusted after one, and that's the only magazine I got as a kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom