• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    High capacity is 60 round drums. a 30 round mag is a STANDARD capacity. Buy them in VA or PA, easy peesy.

What does that make my 100rd Surefire?

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I'm in Montgomery County. i havent shopped at stores much yet but i will.. i just feel like such a newb

does hafers have fully assembled ar's for someone who doesnt know anything about them? any idea of what the lowest price one would be?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Absolutely… a great staff, very helpful especially with “noobs”. Prices will run the gamut—- it’s pretty much a “you make the call” at this point as far as price point maybe starting around $800.00???? But easy enough to find out with one phone call— good folks and everything you need. There is also engage armament, United Guns, and Atlantic guns in Montgomery co. Bought my first AR 15 from United and I’ve had work done at Engage. Never an issue with any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    I'm in Montgomery County. i havent shopped at stores much yet but i will.. i just feel like such a newb

does hafers have fully assembled ar's for someone who doesnt know anything about them? any idea of what the lowest price one would be?

Please, please, please familiarize yourself thoroughly with the platform before going to the range. Had a cuss out moment with my BIL when he swept the entire range trying figure out that he had an FTE. I literally screamed, "What the fvck (his name)".

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I hit quite a few shops in VA for mags, plenty of options out there depending on what part of VA you want to make a trip to. Or of course WV or PA if more convenient. Just don’t cross into DC on your return trip even if just passing through.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    I have found the NVOA Shops have "Grab your ankle" prices on mags.
    Buy online when sales hit,, My brother gifts me a ton of mags.

But do NOT order them while you are in MD, or have them shipped to MD,,

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The last time I wanted some normal capacity AR mags I ordered them from Cabellas in Delaware and went and picked them up. Bonus-no sales tax.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Some local shops sell standard capacity mags with just a wooden dowel stuck in under the follower limiting them to ten rounds.
    Whatever you do....Don't pop the bottom off the mag and remove the dowel.

At least not while in MD. If you want to drive to VA or PA to grab lunch, pop out the dowel while you're there, and return to MD keeping the standard capacity mags, you've done nothing illegal. Illogical, yes (it's MD law, after all, it doesn't have to make sense), but not illegal.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

If you’re in Montgomery County do yourself a favor and go to Engage Armament in Rockville.
    Good folks, good shop, and they should have a good selection.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Use a 5 round the most

for shooting and hunting we ended up using the 5 round mags the most. Even when using a 10 or 20 round, you only put a few rounds in it unless you're playing Armageddon or fantasizing.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    for shooting and hunting we ended up using the 5 round mags the most. Even when using a 10 or 20 round, you only put a few rounds in it unless you're playing Armageddon or fantasizing.

That’s the case if you’re just shooting on a static range, but you have much more opportunity to make use of the rest of the capacity if you do some rifle drills or otherwise set up multiple IPSC targets to practice some other skills too.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    never had an ar15. if i want to buy one from an online retailer that has a 30rd mag, is there a way to get the magazine? or can i go to virginia and buy an ar with 30rd mag or even just the mag and bring it home?

A 30 round AR-15 magazine is a Standard Capacity Magazine

mike20855

Mar 3, 2015
    If you’re in Montgomery County do yourself a favor and go to Engage Armament in Rockville.
    Good folks, good shop, and they should have a good selection.

I'm very close to them. went in there a few years ago browsing but didn't have the coins at the time. I'll check em out again

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually , according to God , Eugene Stoner, and Jim Sullivan , the Original Standard Capacity magazine was 20 rds . The 30 rd took another decade or so of R&D to be about as reliable as the 20 rd .

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    If you live in montgomery or fredneck remember rt 28 does cross the point of rocks bridge and it become rt 15 right on down into leesburg where you can get 30rd mags. I have taken that trip about a couple of times with it taking me about 45 min to an hour each way. One time i made the trip and came back with over $100 spent on 30rd mags and a few other goodies as well.. Yep it was a nice trip and will be making it again as well.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Some local shops sell standard capacity mags with just a wooden dowel stuck in under the follower limiting them to ten rounds.
    Whatever you do....Don't pop the bottom off the mag and remove the dowel.

Only an issue if you do it in MD.

Take a drive to PA, VA, WV and pop out the dowel and return to PROM. Easy peasy

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom