• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Big Horn certainly is inovative , and high quality .

OTOH , doesn't .50 Beo and .458 SOCM pretty much have the Powerful . Big Bore , Heavy Bullet AR-15 segment covered ?

If I were to step up to BHA , I'd be more inclined for a M89 .

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

OTOH , doesn't .50 Beo and .458 SOCM pretty much have the Powerful . Big Bore , Heavy Bullet AR-15 segment covered ?

AR, yes.
    AR-15, I don’t think so.

AR-10 is what the ammo on the Buffalo Bore page referred to.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

This is AR10 based. Kinda has the same problem as the big stuff in AR15s do, the bolt lugs around the chamber are weakened if the bolt face is cut for a wider rim, so you need rebated rims, or milder loads. There is also limited case capacity to fit in the magwell. In this case the 500 Automax is actually a bit too small to feed from AR10 mags in single stack, too fat to double stack, so it has the smaller proprietary mags with a magwell adapter. There aren't many 50cal suppressors to make use of subsonic rounds either.

The 375 and 45 Raptors are probably the best big-bore calibers for the AR10 platform, they run supers or subs, double stack in Pmags. They are kinda like the AR10's version of 300BO and 350 Legend that they were built to run efficiently in the platform, and be suppressed. 50 cal just has a ton of issues from bullet choice to reloading dies, mags and so on, the best formula in each is taking the native cartridge, shortening it, and stufffing a larger caliber bullet in it with high BC heavy subsonics or light for caliber supers. Of course if you need as much power as you can fit in an actual AR10 set, there is always the WSM series, 458WSM can top 5K FPE fairly easily where the 500Automax can't quite reach 4K

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom