Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Marketplace > Wanted to Buy
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27th, 2019, 12:26 AM #1
TAstro TAstro is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 116
TAstro TAstro is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 116
WTB Deer Rifle

Hello MDS,

My girlfriend recently got her hunter safety card and wants to start deer hunting. I already bought her a compound bow and mossberg 500. She wants to try hunting firearm this year but my 30.06 and .308 is intimidating to her. Before I buy her a cheap savage .243 or something similar, I’m reaching out to you all to see if anyone has a cheap beater rifle that’s good for a 5’0” 110 pound female. The big box store combo rifles are okay but I would preferably like to find something with better optics at a used discount. Let me know, thanks and happy hunting
TAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2019, 02:31 AM #2
delaware_export delaware_export is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 682
delaware_export delaware_export is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 682
Goto a store with a lot of different models. Bass pro is good for that.

Have her hold as many different models as they have to check how they fit. Something model 7 (slightly shorter) vs 700 or similar sized items from other vendors. Trimming a little weight forward. The fit is like goldie locks, finding what feels best for her.

There are short action cals that are very good and from weight slightly. But also what is the hunt target? Deer. My pref is 243 or larger. But if bear 308, or something out west 708 or up.

Or you could go with 270 or 3006. 2506 too... a little longer action, slight weight bump, a little more recoil vs shorter action. These have some reduced recoil loads available. A good option for deer.

Good luck! Check the Black Friday sales. Some stores have good discounts going on.

Btw. How does she handle the mossy recoil? From what kind of loads? May give some insight into how she’ll deal with rifle recoil.
delaware_export is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2019, 05:21 AM #3
bigjohn's Avatar
bigjohn bigjohn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,402
bigjohn bigjohn is offline
Senior Member
bigjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,402
I bought my wife a savage youth 243 and it fits her great. My 9 year old son even shoots it well. Skip the package with the scope as the scope is crap
bigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2019, 07:09 AM #4
Mini14tac's Avatar
Mini14tac Mini14tac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North County
Posts: 1,469
Mini14tac Mini14tac is offline
Senior Member
Mini14tac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North County
Posts: 1,469
I would take a look at the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM. Plenty of killing power, manageable recoil and incredible accuracy.
__________________
“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” -Ben Franklin

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." -Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" -Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
Mini14tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2019, 07:46 AM #5
TAstro TAstro is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 116
TAstro TAstro is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 116
Thanks for the replies, we plan to go to Bass Pro tonight so she can try some out. If a youth rifle fits her well, are they typically every bit as accurate and quality made as a regular rifle?
TAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2019, 08:12 AM #6
Uncle Duke's Avatar
Uncle Duke Uncle Duke is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Not Far Enough from the City
Posts: 6,526
Uncle Duke Uncle Duke is online now
Senior Member
Uncle Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Not Far Enough from the City
Posts: 6,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAstro View Post
Thanks for the replies, we plan to go to Bass Pro tonight so she can try some out. If a youth rifle fits her well, are they typically every bit as accurate and quality made as a regular rifle?
Think of the "youth rifle" not as being of kid quality, but rather as a designation of being about a rifle with a shorter length of pull. They tend to run in the 12.5" to 12.75" range, which will represent a much better stock fit for your 5 foot tall lady.

Another member asked a question about how your lady handled 12 ga recoil. That's a very relevant question IMO with regard to chambering choices. If she handles for example, light target load 12 ga recoil ok, that in my mind would open up the option of cartridges a tad heavier than .243 Winchester. .243 is definitely adequate for deer with correct shot placement. But were it me, and with an eye toward her maybe having and handling the recoil of a cartridge with "more thump and now PLENTY adequate" but "still not too uncomfortable" to shoot in a smaller sporter weight rifle, I'd personally rather see a deer hunter with a 6.5 Creedmoor, or a 7mm-08 Remington.

A starter rifle for your gal might be Savage Axis ll Compact, or a Remington 700 youth. I believe Howa makes a youth model as well, and that would be worth a look also. As a side note, Savage is running a rebate currently, but it is very close to expiring.
Uncle Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2019, 08:41 AM #7
Muleskinner's Avatar
Muleskinner Muleskinner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: East of the Mississippi West of the Atlantic..
Posts: 2,735
Muleskinner Muleskinner is offline
Senior Member
Muleskinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: East of the Mississippi West of the Atlantic..
Posts: 2,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Duke View Post
Think of the "youth rifle" not as being of kid quality, but rather as a designation of being about a rifle with a shorter length of pull. They tend to run in the 12.5" to 12.75" range, which will represent a much better stock fit for your 5 foot tall lady.

Another member asked a question about how your lady handled 12 ga recoil. That's a very relevant question IMO with regard to chambering choices. If she handles for example, light target load 12 ga recoil ok, that in my mind would open up the option of cartridges a tad heavier than .243 Winchester. .243 is definitely adequate for deer with correct shot placement. But were it me, and with an eye toward her maybe having and handling the recoil of a cartridge with "more thump and now PLENTY adequate" but "still not too uncomfortable" to shoot in a smaller sporter weight rifle, I'd personally rather see a deer hunter with a 6.5 Creedmoor, or a 7mm-08 Remington.

A starter rifle for your gal might be Savage Axis ll Compact, or a Remington 700 youth. I believe Howa makes a youth model as well, and that would be worth a look also. As a side note, Savage is running a rebate currently, but it is very close to expiring.
I would stay away from Howa. A friend has one in 243 and the rifling cracked within the first 500 rounds. Howa refused to warranty it. I know my friend, he did nothing to damage the barrel. Cost for rebarreling exceeded the cost of a new rifle.
__________________
http://markwfarrar.com/pictures/GOA%20Life%20Member.jpg

Any "Buy Back fines" will be paid for in lead.....
Muleskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2019, 09:01 AM #8
Uncle Duke's Avatar
Uncle Duke Uncle Duke is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Not Far Enough from the City
Posts: 6,526
Uncle Duke Uncle Duke is online now
Senior Member
Uncle Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Not Far Enough from the City
Posts: 6,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muleskinner View Post
I would stay away from Howa. A friend has one in 243 and the rifling cracked within the first 500 rounds. Howa refused to warranty it. I know my friend, he did nothing to damage the barrel. Cost for rebarreling exceeded the cost of a new rifle.
Well that's damn disappointing to hear! I like the Vanguard actions they make for Weatherby.

Stupid of them not to warranty. Did they allege handloading as the problem?
Uncle Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2019, 07:51 AM #9
Mini14tac's Avatar
Mini14tac Mini14tac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North County
Posts: 1,469
Mini14tac Mini14tac is offline
Senior Member
Mini14tac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North County
Posts: 1,469
Quote:
If a youth rifle fits her well, are they typically every bit as accurate and quality made as a regular rifle?
If your looking for something smaller and lighter you might want to check out the Remington Model 7 in 7mm08.
__________________
“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” -Ben Franklin

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." -Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" -Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
Mini14tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2019, 08:00 AM #10
tosainu1's Avatar
tosainu1 tosainu1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bowie Md
Posts: 687
Images: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to tosainu1
tosainu1 tosainu1 is offline
Member
tosainu1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bowie Md
Posts: 687
Images: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to tosainu1
Managed Recoil ammunition is the answer

Buy a few boxes of this ammo and zero either of your guns to her and she won’t be intimidated anymore. Or you can buy her a 20” or longer 30-30 of her own and use the managed ammo in that caliber and you will have an effective deer rifle with very little recoil at the expense of range which, if she hunts in the woods, should be a good enough trade off. Or you can buy a heavy barreled 243 Winchester and the combo of weight and light round will be good for her if she is going to be taking long shots.
__________________
Sorry $500
tosainu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > The Marketplace > Wanted to Buy


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2019, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service