• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    Would suppressing a black powder cap and ball pistol Be illegal? Would be real muddy waters to build expressly for A colt Italian repro, but was it ever a thing?

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    If it was permanently attached to the pistol based on the Maxim 50 I would say no, if you thread the barrel and use a commercial silencer then you’ll have a tax stamp, if you thread the barrel and make your own silencer I would say better file a form 1 first.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    2nd thought revolvers don’t supress well because if the cylinder gap. The nagant revolver is one of the few that you can.

You’d be best served with a single shot muzzle loading pistol

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Not only would the cylinder gap reduce effectiveness significantly, it would get horribly caked with fouling after only a few rounds. Better make it easy to clean!

The "silencer" was invented by Hiram Percy Maxim (son of the inventor of the machine gun) after smokeless powder came into use, in the first years of the 20th Century. Maxim's Silencer was immediately put to use silencing the new motorcars coming into use. In England, they still call a muffler a silencer.

It wasn't invented until it was needed, and it wasn't needed for black powder guns.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I use BH209 in my Maxum 50
    It’s cleaner and does not cake but harder to ignite.
    An inline pistol with a welded on “moderator” would do possibly with hot true shotgun 209 primers.
    Look up how the maxum is loaded by putting in a brass tube first.
    Theoretically you could do a sidelock pistol by duplexing say 10gr of real black powder then the BH209. I did that in a 54 Lyman for a year when I had trouble getting real black powder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    If you are going to be anachronistic enough to try and silence a black powder muzzleloader for defense, might as well go back a few hundred more years and get a crossbow.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Not to mention what good would a silencer be after a huge cloud of black powder smoke came out of the end of the muzzle.

With BH209 there is actually very little on my Maxum. With a full load it sounds like a 22. With a half charge its subsonic and sounds like an airsoft.

Since I don't run real black powder, I can't attest to how much smoke comes out. But for me, I was running the Maxum to keep quiet more than avoid smoke. The smoke is less with the moderator up front but you can guess where that smoke accumulates. you clean the barrel/moderator assembly by putting in a tub of soapy water. I have only felt the need to clean it that way one time in the couple years I've had it. Just clean the barrel after shooting cause I've only averaged 1 deer with it per year :(

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    What happens to the wad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For anything suppressed, you can't use a wad.
    For Cap and ball for example, all the lube you put in front of the ball would make a TOTAL mess.
    For say a sidelock 50 cal, you need to use a one piece solution.
    For the Maxum, I used this:
    https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/fed...z-trophy-copper-muzzleloader-bullets-–-per-15

I would avoid conical or great plains again due to the lube mess.

You can also use a power belt, or there is an all copper sabotless bullet you can use that is kind of like a copper coated plastic tipped minie ball w/ a hollow base (forgot the name)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom