• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boatme99

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2010
    Mid-Tenn.
    With the possibility of my moving to Md. one my questions is... are auto knives legal to carry, own?
    I'm afraid I already know the answer. :shrug:

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    afaik no knife restrictions in MD but you can’t concealed carry a switchblade and open carry is ok as long as you stabbed the guy “by accident.”

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Switchblades, where you push a button to release the blade, I believe you cannot carry.

Assisted opening, where you start the blade moving with thumb stud or flipper nub on the backside, are fine; with the exception of Baltimore City and Ocean City where spring assist is verboten.

I have found several flipper type folding knives with no springs at all that will still open with a flick of a finger. Look for a ball bearing opening system if interested... there's an acronymn but I forget what it is.

I believe you can own anything if you keep it at home, only carry is restricted.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    afaik no knife restrictions in MD but you can’t concealed carry a switchblade and open carry is ok as long as you stabbed the guy “by accident.”

You can't carry a fixed blade concealed, must be open carried.

You can carry a penknife concealed. A penknife is defined as a folding knife, with no length restriction.

I don't believe you can carry a switchblade at all, open or concealed.

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    In general in Maryland you can’t carry a knife for the purpose of self-defense and switchblades cannot be conceal carried.

Various cities and counties have further restrictions and there is no statewide pre-emption for knife laws.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    I’ve probably been living dangerously -early in the lockdown I would go walk for miles at night and I have a small wharncliffe that clips on the front of my belt, I guess “open” depends on whether a shirt or jacket was hanging over it. Is self defense ok if I’m defending against rabid raccoons?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    JerseyMike was correct about switchblades, however it does not say anything about self defense.

It does say no carrying with 'intent to injure in an unlawful manner'.

Maryland Code, Criminal Law § 4-101

(a)(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.

(2) “Nunchaku” means a device constructed of two pieces of any substance, including wood, metal, or plastic, connected by any chain, rope, leather, or other flexible material not exceeding 24 inches in length.

(3)(i) “Pepper mace” means an aerosol propelled combination of highly disabling irritant pepper-based products.

(ii) “Pepper mace” is also known as oleoresin capsicum (o.c.) spray.

(4) “Star knife” means a device used as a throwing weapon, consisting of several sharp or pointed blades arrayed as radially disposed arms about a central disk.

(5)(i) “Weapon” includes a dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade knife, star knife, sandclub, metal knuckles, razor, and nunchaku.

(ii) “Weapon” does not include:

1. a handgun;  or

2. a penknife without a switchblade.

(c)(1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person.

(2) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Wear and Carry permit covers auto knives concealed. If you have no permit, carry auto knife in view.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    JerseyMike was correct about switchblades, however it does not say anything about self defense.

Hence my bad joke about stabbing by accident. That was my understanding of it though who’s to say if using it in self defense is “lawful.” Being here in MoCo they’d probably err on the unlawful side.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You can only carry a "switchblade" if you have a MD concealed carry permit.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Wear and Carry permit covers auto knives concealed. If you have no permit, carry auto knife in view.

Please site your source for this statement. It is opposite of a letter I received from MSP when I asked them about carrying a sheath knife when I had a carry permit. They said specifically my permit covered only "legal handguns".

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown

A person may be carrying a utility knife for its use as a weapon, so as to violate prohibition against carrying dangerous weapon, even if the person’s intent merely is to display the knife in the belief that the display will deter aggressors, without any intent to inflict bodily injury. Anderson v. State, 614 A.2d 963 (1992).

Therefore, if you carry knives do it for other purposes besides SD. If you happen to need it for SD then so be it, but if the State can prove you carried it with the intent to use it in SD you are in trouble.

cmb

Dec 28, 2012
    Conowingo MD
    I've lost count of all the auto-knives I've had over the decades and they were all carried. I have one left( Dalton Battle Dragon) but for ease of handling, my favorites are my two Benchmade Contegos. After adjusting the pivot screw, the weight of the blade is all that's needed to open and close them. No spring assist, so no need to force the blade closed.

Attachments

• Resized_20200517_074218.jpg
      Resized_20200517_074218.jpg
      101.4 KB · Views: 397

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I've lost count of all the auto-knives I've had over the decades and they were all carried. I have one left( Dalton Battle Dragon) but for ease of handling, my favorites are my two Benchmade Contegos. After adjusting the pivot screw, the weight of the blade is all that's needed to open and close them. No spring assist, so no need to force the blade closed.

A little time with a belt sander(and good mask) will make those contegos soooooo much nicer to hold.

Attachments

• IMAG9359_1_zpsr7hvam47.jpg
      IMAG9359_1_zpsr7hvam47.jpg
      56.7 KB · Views: 384

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Yeah, I'm going to have to see something in writing relating switch blades (concealed) to the MD handgun carry permit. FD: I carry a switcher daily, I work with my hands and often with my "hand", so a necessity. haha, let the jokes flow.

boatme99

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2010
    Mid-Tenn.
    Yeah, I'm going to have to see something in writing relating switch blades (concealed) to the MD handgun carry permit. FD: I carry a switcher daily, I work with my hands and often with my "hand", so a necessity. haha, let the jokes flow.

I lived in Crofton for a while. Pointer Ridge neighborhood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom