• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Someone forwarded me this today and I'm hesitant to call it "official" as there are no cover letters, digital water marks or other identifying information to make it official, but the verbiage looks to be BATFE legalese.

Link to said document

Within this write up discusses the modernization requirements of the definition of what is a firearm. Along with that includes the whole classifications of requirements for Personally Manufactured Firearms (PMF) that have been built off of 80% receivers. I was astonished to see that the document is calling out requiring all uppers and lowers to be marked with a serial, if the items are PMF's the receivers must include the standard Form 1 engravings on both the upper and lower as well as pre 'law' uppers to be taken to be engraved by an FFL (because these are now firearms) with manufacturer info. If no manufacturer info can be provided it's basically Form 1 engravings on the upper and lower. Further into this are talks about which parts will be treated as firearms in the case of sales; upper receivers (complete and stripped) as well as barrels. In addition, it's calling out the serialization of jigs, manufacturing/assembly documents and tooling to be engraved and be considered a firearm in their own right. One thing that I didn't see or hear about is whether you take your receivers for engraving if they would require you to fill out a 4473 to retrieve them from the FFL. I'm sure some of you have your ideas on this, but realistically there will be those who comply, those who do not, and those who have no idea what you're talking about as they no longer have these items or never purchased them to begin with.

Take a look, I have a strong hopes the logic on this will be overturned if actually proposed with this information, but we know how the tables are stacked currently.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    It would be a lot of work to fake 100+ pages of legal language.

I'd wager this is legit and leaked by a friend on the inside so the movement can get ahead of this.

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    It would be a lot of work to fake 100+ pages of legal language.

My thoughts exactly, but if you wanted to cause chaos within a community that the Government is trying to disband, this would be the way to do it. Regardless, if this is real we should be aware about it if not, we should be aware about it and once it's deemed fake news spread the word.

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    Was another thread started on this today? If so I didn't see it while lurking. I'll just have the mods close this one if so.

No other thread I am aware of. I read about this on The Reload and figured we should give props to the person who broke the story.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Requiring serial numbers retro-active just screams unenforceable and impossible to track. Another example of laws that effect law abiding citizens with ZERO impact on criminals.

This will DEFINITELY deter future gun violence....:sarcasm:

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    I saw that this document was posted to the Water Cooler earlier today under the thread title: "FPC Email 20 Apr 2021 - Casper's Pew Pews". Maybe this thread should be closed and remain under the original Water Cooler thread.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I saw that this document was posted to the Water Cooler earlier today under the thread title: "FPC Email 20 Apr 2021 - Casper's Pew Pews". Maybe this thread should be closed and remain under the original Water Cooler thread.

Maybe people need to title their treads a bit better.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    We really shouldn't comment or fight this until it's official. Think about the legislators in Annapolis - we don't want to tell them what's wrong with it early on, or they'll just amend it.

Don't do their job for them, wait until the comment period opens up when they reveal their official plans.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The problem is going to be that many of these are not my firearms as define by LAW. The law is pretty clear about what is a firearm. Regulation cannot changes that definition nor can it force requirements on things that aren’t firearms.

It could be legit. Could be an internal discussion document. Could be any number of things. Wouldn’t surprise me to see the ATF push something and hope some shit sticks to the wall.

What about pre-1968 firearms? What if a barrel doesn’t have an upper? Does the barrel on a K98 have to be serialized now? What about handguns? Do the slides need to be serialized?

Etc, as nauseum.

Suddenly half a billion guns are going to need at least one more serial number (barrel) or so it sounds. Really, there are enough gunsmiths out there to serialize all of them?!?

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    We really shouldn't comment or fight this until it's official. Think about the legislators in Annapolis - we don't want to tell them what's wrong with it early on, or they'll just amend it.

Don't do their job for them, wait until the comment period opens up when they reveal their official plans.

This.

The problem is going to be that many of these are not my firearms as define by LAW. The law is pretty clear about what is a firearm. Regulation cannot changes that definition nor can it force requirements on things that aren’t firearms.

It could be legit. Could be an internal discussion document. Could be any number of things. Wouldn’t surprise me to see the ATF push something and hope some shit sticks to the wall.

What about pre-1968 firearms? What if a barrel doesn’t have an upper? Does the barrel on a K98 have to be serialized now? What about handguns? Do the slides need to be serialized?

Etc, as nauseum.

Suddenly half a billion guns are going to need at least one more serial number (barrel) or so it sounds. Really, there are enough gunsmiths out there to serialize all of them?!?

This is a completely naive view...in case you've been living under a rock the government can and will do whatever they think it will take to infringe upon your rights...including indiscriminately changing the legal definition of a firearm without the consent of Congress...

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I haven't read all 107 pages yet but is there any good news in the doc?

Common sense tells me I already know the answer, but figured I ask.

Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA
    The civilian disarmament industry is in overdrive to finally put the nails in the coffin of private ownership of firearms. There is no doubt that this is legit in the fact that it follows the cookie cutter tactic that the system loves so much, “the wide net”. This is just another way to “investigate” every firearm owner in sight. Then preferably create a exponentially larger amount of “prohibited” people. Straight out of the back door subversive playbook of the Bolshevik power structure.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I haven't read all 107 pages yet but is there any good news in the doc?

Common sense tells me I already know the answer, but figured I ask.

ATF want to change requirements that silencers only the tube is serialized (and it sounds like the controlled part). So that might mean silencer parts become non-controlled. Downside, not sure what that means for silencers that are modular tubes or the mount is the serialized part.

One certain downside is the reading of what the ATF is doing, no more form 1 suppressors unless you are really making them from scratch. That readily convertible based on several hours of work with machine tools still being considered readily convertible means every solvent trap maker out there sure as heck better think twice about staying in that business as you know the ATF will be coming for all of them.

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    You forgot them making the 4473s a permanent record.

No more destroying 4473s after IIRC 20 years. They're now permanent must keep forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom