How prepared are you for a home invasion?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Those of you wanting to turn your lights on may want to rethink that part of the plan. They don't know the layout of your house in the dark like you do.
    Also turning those lights on will ruin your night vision too. You can easily make use of ambient light from windows and also you won't ruin your night vision if you light them up with your good quality flashlight, weapon mounted or carried.

Running to the source of commotion may not be the best plan either. It may be fine if you are going to the end of a hallway(I prefer the threat to come down the fatal funnel) where you know it's secure, or at the top of the steps. I'm not leaving a loved one alone to fend for themselves. Nor do I want to play word games and voice recognition crap should I need to re-enter the room I left where they might be armed.

If you have people in other rooms(kids), you plan may be to both mom and Dad leave the room, gather kids up as you go and take up defense in the last kids' room.

Or just grab your favorite kid and bring him back to your room :)

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I figure if the Legos on the floor don't maim them, then the cats will trip them on the stairs. If they survive that gauntlet then the baby gate will slow them down long enough for me to become coherent. At that point I know exactly what I'm grabbing and where I'm going.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Here's a question for you all:

The security system companies give you signs to put in your lawn and stickers to put in your window, advertising that you home is alarmed. The idea is that this will deter thieves and attackers.
    Does it deter them or does it simply warn them that they should attempt to defeat the system before attacking you?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Those of you wanting to turn your lights on may want to rethink that part of the plan. They don't know the layout of your house in the dark like you do.
    Also turning those lights on will ruin your night vision too. You can easily make use of ambient light from windows and also you won't ruin your night vision if you light them up with your good quality flashlight, weapon mounted or carried.

Running to the source of commotion may not be the best plan either. It may be fine if you are going to the end of a hallway(I prefer the threat to come down the fatal funnel) where you know it's secure, or at the top of the steps. I'm not leaving a loved one alone to fend for themselves. Nor do I want to play word games and voice recognition crap should I need to re-enter the room I left where they might be armed.

If you have people in other rooms(kids), you plan may be to both mom and Dad leave the room, gather kids up as you go and take up defense in the last kids' room.

Or just grab your favorite kid and bring him back to your room :)

100% this

I'm no rambo, if I hear some one trying to enter the house or in the house, I'm getting the kids to one room out of the line of sight from the hallway and using the doorway as the funnel of death. That room is well stocked with enough firepower to stop a small army(MTM mag can ready to go with a few other options) while the wife is on the phone with 911.

For those of you with dogs, yes they make lots of noise and that is a huge deterrent, however please don't think fiddo is going to latch on to anyone like a police dog.

If you have to venture down to the rest of the house/floors, remember angles are your friend and don't over expose yourself. You know your house the best, where are the mirrors that help you see around corners, where does your floor squeak, etc.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

The security system companies give you signs to put in your lawn and stickers to put in your window, advertising that you home is alarmed. The idea is that this will deter thieves and attackers.
    Does it deter them or does it simply warn them that they should attempt to defeat the system before attacking you?

All home security "experts" recommend alarm signs. Even the used-to-be burglars who get into home security. They all said that they didn't want to have to bother with the possibility.

Real burglaries aren't like the movies where they disable alarm systems at museums when they steal rare works of art. :D

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I figure if the Legos on the floor don't maim them, then the cats will trip them on the stairs. If they survive that gauntlet then the baby gate will slow them down long enough for me to become coherent. At that point I know exactly what I'm grabbing and where I'm going.

I think legos qualify as a "trap" and would be illegal. :D

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    100% this

I'm no rambo, if I hear some one trying to enter the house or in the house, I'm getting the kids to one room out of the line of sight from the hallway and using the doorway as the funnel of death. That room is well stocked with enough firepower to stop a small army(MTM mag can ready to go with a few other options) while the wife is on the phone with 911.

For those of you with dogs, yes they make lots of noise and that is a huge deterrent, however please don't think fiddo is going to latch on to anyone like a police dog.

If you have to venture down to the rest of the house/floors, remember angles are your friend and don't over expose yourself. You know your house the best, where are the mirrors that help you see around corners, where does your floor squeak, etc.

Exactly. Unless your dog is a 50k trained one from Mike Ritland and Trikos International.:)

How do you stop squeaky steps? Little brad nails or something usually solve that?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Also turning those lights on will ruin your night vision too. You can easily make use of ambient light from windows and also you won't ruin your night vision if you light them up with your good quality flashlight, weapon mounted or carried

Very good advice. The use of a flashlight accomplishes two things...you can identify the target and disorient him at the same time. It's better than a laser in those regards.

I don't have a weapons mounted flashlight...for over thirty years I was trained to use a handheld and still do. It works quite well. I check it at least monthly to make sure the batteries are still good and replace them as necessary.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Exactly. Unless your dog is a 50k trained one from Mike Ritland and Trikos International.:)

How do you stop squeaky steps? Little brad nails or something usually solve that?

There are always exceptions lol. The free Blue Heeler that I had for 12 years would’ve disagreed with you. That ole boy latched on to several uninvited guests while patrolling “his”yard lol. I had several blue heelers and those lil guys would latch onto or fight anything no matter how big it was. I always thought that they had to be slightly crazy lol. After a 10 year dogless hiatus, the kids finally conned me into a puppy that they picked out. Wouldn’t ya know it they picked a Blue Heeler lol.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    What, besides longer screws in the hinges and strike plates, are you guys/girls using to strengthen and reinforce your doors? I see advertisements for whatever those things are that are suppose to prevent your door from being kicked in, but I don’t know if they work or are just more BS.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg

Other "experts" say the frequency that the system operates can be googled and used if the system is known. It is easier for wifi jammers and deauthorization devices (denial of service) available form amazon. See "jamming/disable SimpleSafe" on YT. The last HOA meeting a homeowner said that two different RING devices were disabled (no video) when their cars were broken into.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    With regards to the OP and to the dog discussion, I have a story as well. I shared it here before, but it's probably been 10 years.

Sleeping one night at our old house, I was woken up by a LOUD crash at the front door. I immediately thought someone had smashed in (it was an all-glass door). It was a small house with small rooms, and we had our queen bed up against the wall. I was against the wall, with two large dogs on the bed with us. Both dogs would bark at people until they recognized them, and would bark at a knock or doorbell. Well, in the middle of the night, all that went out the window. Neither dog moved a muscle, and I was pinned up against the wall by two 70 lb dogs and my wife, and my HD gun was in the nightstand at the foot of the bed. I quickly realized that I was in grave danger...at least I would have been had it actually been an intruder. It ended up being a failed shelf in the wall cabinet in the kitchen right next to the door. The noise I heard was all the plates hitting the ground. But I learned that night that I needed to make changes in order to be safe. I also learned that dogs that normally bark can not be counted on in the heat of things.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    Other "experts" say the frequency that the system operates can be googled and used if the system is known. It is easier for wifi jammers and deauthorization devices (denial of service) available form amazon. See "jamming SimpleSafe" on YT. The last HOA meeting a homeowner said that two different RING devices were disabled (no video) when their cars were broken into.
    now that's something that I hadn't thought of but should have considering my distrust of Alexis and chat along Barbie. The hard wired systems had weak points but still another layer of trouble when they could go a house farther. Still, most places the cops won't come unless a "key holder" is available. I'd start with steel doors with steel frames and thorn bushes under the windows.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Other "experts" say the frequency that the system operates can be googled and used if the system is known. It is easier for wifi jammers and deauthorization devices (denial of service) available form amazon. See "jamming/disable SimpleSafe" on YT. The last HOA meeting a homeowner said that two different RING devices were disabled (no video) when their cars were broken into.

Well the first thing to do, is harden your home network. That won't stop RF jamming though.

See, this is what I worried about. Simplisafe doesn't give a damn if their sign deters thieves, they just want you to advertise their product. I feel that a generic "This home is alarmed" sign might be better. If they don't know what specific product you're using, it will be harder to defeat.

Either that or just don't post any signage.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    untitled.png
    Well the first thing to do, is harden your home network. That won't stop RF jamming though.

See, this is what I worried about. Simplisafe doesn't give a damn if their sign deters thieves, they just want you to advertise their product. I feel that a generic "This home is alarmed" sign might be better. If they don't know what specific product you're using, it will be harder to defeat.

untitled.png

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

What do you have in your house that your neighbor doesn't that would require a thief from The Italian Job to "jam" your network alarm system? No one is going to Oceans 11 you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom