How prepared are you for a home invasion?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    All home security "experts" recommend alarm signs. Even the used-to-be burglars who get into home security. They all said that they didn't want to have to bother with the possibility.

Real burglaries aren't like the movies where they disable alarm systems at museums when they steal rare works of art. :D

This jogged my memory of when my uncles townhouse (off Middlebridge Ln. not far from Glenmont) was burglarized when he was on a work trip. This had to be in the late 90's, though.

They went out back and actually cut the underground phone line before breaking in. He had an alarm that went off, but the message never made it to dispatch. They basically cleaned out his place of all valuables and electronics... he and the cops said it looked like a professional job.

Most alarm systems now have a cellular backup... mine uses AT&T towers. It's not as fast but I feel secure knowing that the alarm signal would get to emergency response.

ALTHOUGH... I had my first major false alarm in my house when I forgot to close the door to my bedroom where my dogs stay when we're out of the house... Indoor motion triggered the alarm and it was going off for an astounding 30 minutes before I noticed on my phone and called back the Ring alarm team. They hadn't dispatched ANYONE yet. Part of me was relieved I wouldn't have cops surrounding my house but another part of me was concerned that response times would be pretty freakin' terrible in the event my alarm goes off in a real emergency. YMMV.

Mike_mds

Oct 11, 2020
    Ceciltucky
    Well the first thing to do, is harden your home network. That won't stop RF jamming though.

See, this is what I worried about. Simplisafe doesn't give a damn if their sign deters thieves, they just want you to advertise their product. I feel that a generic "This home is alarmed" sign might be better. If they don't know what specific product you're using, it will be harder to defeat.

Either that or just don't post any signage.

We have an alarm system in our house and put up a lawn sign from a different alarm company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Those of you wanting to turn your lights on may want to rethink that part of the plan. They don't know the layout of your house in the dark like you do.
    Also turning those lights on will ruin your night vision too. You can easily make use of ambient light from windows and also you won't ruin your night vision if you light them up with your good quality flashlight, weapon mounted or carried.

Running to the source of commotion may not be the best plan either. It may be fine if you are going to the end of a hallway(I prefer the threat to come down the fatal funnel) where you know it's secure, or at the top of the steps. I'm not leaving a loved one alone to fend for themselves. Nor do I want to play word games and voice recognition crap should I need to re-enter the room I left where they might be armed.

If you have people in other rooms(kids), you plan may be to both mom and Dad leave the room, gather kids up as you go and take up defense in the last kids' room.

Or just grab your favorite kid and bring him back to your room :)

Awesome advice - On my last three false alarms, my position relative to the funnel(s)/chokepoints was the the thing I found lacking to some degree. Low/no light everywhere is actually great advice when paired with even mild directional entry point lights (depending on layout, of course).

All home security "experts" recommend alarm signs. Even the used-to-be burglars who get into home security. They all said that they didn't want to have to bother with the possibility.

Real burglaries aren't like the movies where they disable alarm systems at museums when they steal rare works of art. :D

Yep. Most modern systems are multi-modal - landline, internet, and cellular. I would suspect most homes are "low value" targets for any potential thieves with the knowledge, skill set and desire to put in the effort to disable all possible modes relative to the risk and return.

Other "experts" say the frequency that the system operates can be googled and used if the system is known. It is easier for wifi jammers and deauthorization devices (denial of service) available form amazon. See "jamming/disable SimpleSafe" on YT. The last HOA meeting a homeowner said that two different RING devices were disabled (no video) when their cars were broken into.

See above. Don't rely on a system with a single point of failure.

I leave a handful of spent 9mm in the driveway. It deters Mormons too.

Good suggestion, but will sub a mix of .45 and 10mm, in case of mormon bears. Damned thumpers!

This thread has mall ninja vibes all over it.

The force is strong with this one.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Screenshot_20210421-181553.jpg

Uber

Mar 20, 2021
    Gaithersburg
    After buying a gun for home protection, I developed a discipline to improve my chances of responding. First, I have a safe under my bed that pops open when my RFID bracelet touches it. Inside are a loaded 9mm handgun and an extra mag. I ritualized as follows:
    • Every morning when my alarm sounds, I pop the safe, then grab the gun and the magazine. This simulates operating under conditions where I'm suddenly awakened and sleep-addled.
    • I tuck the extra mag into my underwear waist band (cold!) and move to a position that's safe to raise the gun (specifically, where the backstop is NOT my kid's rooms).
    • The gun has night sights. I practice moving while maintaining the sights. I would stop at the stairs because it's a choke point. But my kid's rooms lie beyond that.
    • I clear two rooms as I pass them going to the kid's rooms.
    • I scan across the stairs, "slicing" my view as I move.
    • Last I return and change the mag several times in the dark. I drop the mag on the floor randomly and pick it up, orienting it solely by feel.

Fortunately no else is awake except the cat. I try not to muzzle him, but he's not predictable. :)

I'd like to develop a similar routine for daytime with a safe near the main entry.

Mike_mds

Oct 11, 2020
    Ceciltucky
    [*]I tuck the extra mag into my underwear waist band (cold!) and move to a position that's safe to raise the gun (specifically, where the backstop is NOT my kid's rooms).

So I’m fairly new here...could someone please point me to the thread that covers those of us who like to sleep au natural? And just for clarification, the back door is closed...not an option for a 17 round Glock mag.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    So I’m fairly new here...could someone please point me to the thread that covers those of us who like to sleep au natural? And just for clarification, the back door is closed...not an option for a 17 round Glock mag.

I think your best bet is to run towards the robber with your D & bawls flapping around and yell out "Free hugs! Free hugs!"

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I actually X2 this.

I’m more worried about dying from an asteroid than i am a home invasion

Concur... but it's good to be prepared, even in a relatively low risk location. I'm living rural enough that being taken out by a snake bite or random bear encounter are more probable from an actuary or statistical standpoint. I prepare for those encounters and get that they are far more likely in terms of probability than a HI, but it's good to be prepared for any real risk IMO.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Concur... but it's good to be prepared, even in a relatively low risk location. I'm living rural enough that being taken out by a snake bite or random bear encounter are more probable from an actuary or statistical standpoint. I prepare for those encounters and get that they are far more likely in terms of probability than a HI, but it's good to be prepared for any real risk IMO.

I can’t argue with being prepared

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County

wiper

Apr 14, 2021
    Here's a question for you all:

The security system companies give you signs to put in your lawn and stickers to put in your window, advertising that you home is alarmed. The idea is that this will deter thieves and attackers.
    Does it deter them or does it simply warn them that they should attempt to defeat the system before attacking you?
    The idea with stickers and signs advertizing your alarms isn't about stopping the intruders who already know how to bypass those, it's about deterring the ones who can't from even trying. That should weed out a ton of potential intruders, who would pass up a property that advertizes their security systems for the ones that don't.. the motives would probably have to be personal if someone goes for a house they know is alarmed, unless there's something worth the risk.

If anything, get stickers and signs that advertize a security system totally different from the one you actually have.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    What, besides longer screws in the hinges and strike plates, are you guys/girls using to strengthen and reinforce your doors? I see advertisements for whatever those things are that are suppose to prevent your door from being kicked in, but I don’t know if they work or are just more BS.

Reinforcements around the lock sets
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-L...Single-Bore-2-3-8-in-Backset-U-9589/100554278

For outswing exterior doors a latch shield cover.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-L...inted-Gray-Door-Latch-Shield-U-9500/100208952

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom