• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bam-az

Nov 30, 2015
    You caught their attention.

Sorry to ask again, but has anyone heard of an instance where charges were filed for failure to register? I hear what everyone is saying about rights and the statutes that define the penalty, but has anyone actually been brought up on charges? Specifically, any charges against an individual for this single offense? Obviously, I don't want it to be me, and I'm going to register ALL that I need to, but just asking for a friend who won't comply.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Sorry to ask again, but has anyone heard of an instance where charges were filed for failure to register? I hear what everyone is saying about rights and the statutes that define the penalty, but has anyone actually been brought up on charges? Specifically, any charges against an individual for this single offense? Obviously, I don't want it to be me, and I'm going to register ALL that I need to, but just asking for a friend who won't comply.

Maybe your "friend" may not have heard of MD's absurd laws . . .

No doubt if there's a problem, he'd certainly take steps to make it right.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My wife's (NJ) cousin became a first time gun buyer during COVID shut downs. He now has the gun bug and hate's Jersey's draconian gun laws. He officially made his Poconos (PA) home his legal residence and his condo in NJ his secondary home.
    My point is, someone in The Hamptons claiming their FL Keys vacation home as a primary residence is pretty easy to track down. Conversely, his homes are ~100 miles apart and he spends 1-3 days in The Poconos every week, as his North Jersey/NYC work territory is roughly equidistant from both homes. There is no friggin way a state could prove which one he spent more time at if he is in both places several times each week.

No, it will just be that both states will claim he owes them taxes. :D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No, it will just be that both states will claim he owes them taxes. :D

Probably :sad20:

That said, if they really were inclined to get warrants and go for a legal case, I’d bet they could. You’d be amazed at all of the digital bread crumbs you leave. Cell phone tracking data, EZ pass scans, emails you’ve sent saying things like “at the beach this week, but I’ll be back at my place in the mountains for a day or two”. Credit card receipts establishing where you are usually purchasing locally. Etc.

I don’t remotely see a state going through anything like that effort to PROVE you really reside primarily in one state VS another. But in theory they could probably prove it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom