• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I don't currently own a Beretta. I think I need one in the 92/M9 family just because...well, iconic. And fun.

There are so many models now it gets sort of dizzying. I don't want anything with a manual safety.

So I'm thinking 92X in a de-cocker only configuration?

Any reason I should think about a 92FS or M9a1 or M9a3? Night sights aren't important to be as I've sort of reached the conclusion as I've gotten older that they are bull****. I sort of like the black rear and orange front on the 92X.

As far as I can tell, other than a threaded barrel which I don't need either, that's the only reason to go for the M9a3?

What else am I missing?

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I have a 92FS, first firearm I owned. IMO, it's the best looking pistol out there and if I had to have a 9mm in combat it's the one I'd want due to ease of takedown and reassembly. I'm slightly more accurate with some other 9mm pistols that I own but the Beretta is still one of my favorites. If I could do it all over again I would have gotten the same platform but one with the Wilson Combat upgrades, including a fiber front sight.

Good luck with whatever you select.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I have a 92FS, first firearm I owned. IMO, it's the best looking pistol out there and if I had to have a 9mm in combat it's the one I'd want due to ease of takedown and reassembly. I'm slightly more accurate with some other 9mm pistols that I own but the Beretta is still one of my favorites. If I could do it all over again I would have gotten the same platform but one with the Wilson Combat upgrades, including a fiber front sight.

Good luck with whatever you select.

Ahhh...I'd forgotten about the Wilson Combat models...

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    There's a pretty clean looking compact 92 in the classifieds now, tempting if I didn't have some extra bills to pay this summer.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    They sell a G conversion kit that should turn most of them to decocker only models, so don't let that limit you too much.

There are also D (double action only) models which were made years ago. Nothing on the slide of those at all (except some rare ones made for a dept that required a safety even on a DA gun, Chicago maybe?)

The newer ones have some polymer parts on them which bother some people.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    A 92 would be a great pistol if they didn't have those slide mounted controls. Your thumb needs to be 2 inches longer to reach. Not really a good combat gun.

Do they still make the 96 Centurian? I had one back in 90s. It was a very accurate 40 cal.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    OP, this made me smile >>>> "Need"
    lol like when I need shoes etc etc hubby will say need or want???
    Happy Shopping

It's "need." Definitely.

Once acquired, he will "need" another ...

Edit - MM Jr can ring a 4" gong with a 92FS at 20 yards in quick succession, in spite of it flopping around at the end of a chain ... and he's a surly teenager. I don't think you'd be disappointed with any of the 92-series.

Last edited:

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I have an older Taurus PT92 AF. Built in the old Brazilian Beretta plant in 1992. I absolutely love this thing. Extremely reliable, very accurate, great trigger with the frame mounted safety/decocker. They can be had fairly reasonable on gun broker.

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    I have an older Taurus PT92 AF. Built in the old Brazilian Beretta plant in 1992. I absolutely love this thing. Extremely reliable, very accurate, great trigger with the frame mounted safety/decocker. They can be had fairly reasonable on gun broker.

Same here, but the older frame safety only PT92. Nice to carry it cocked and locked like a 1911back then. Beretta should have never gone to the slide mounted safety.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    Same here, but the older frame safety only PT92. Nice to carry it cocked and locked like a 1911back then. Beretta should have never gone to the slide mounted safety.

I just put the G conversation in on my 92x compact (because MD did not have the G model on the roster when I ordered it last year :rolleyes:), so that kinda takes care of the the safety + DA pull complaint for me.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I love my Beretta M9, although it’s mostly a safe queen.

I much prefer it over the models with the accessory rail. Much cleaner and more classic looking IMO.

The M9 commercial variant also has some minor variations over the 92fs which I like.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Attachments

• jj.jpg
      jj.jpg
      163.4 KB · Views: 247

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If you want an M9, get an M9. It's a nice pistol, really accurate, have had one for 20 years and it's still one of my favorites. People bash the slide mounted safety, but I like it vs the Taurus frame mounted, you can get a much higher grip without it getting in the way, can still hit it if your hands are big enough to fit the fat grip, and doesn't really matter if you use it as a decocker/ carry condition 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom