• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Howdy All -

I finally had a chance to take my new (to me) Shiloh Montana Roughrider. I had been waiting a long time to finally fire one and get it zeroed! I was able to catch my best group on video as well, if you are curious.

0f35949827a9c178d5c73629ece9f936.jpg

I have a long way to go, but all in all...I felt good with my performance with a new rifle and having not shot a rifle in a timeframe I can remember. It was a good day. I even got to share the rifle with two other gentleman shooting. I would have leapt at any chance ever offered to me! They graciously accepted and big grins and good conversation were had!

73087fd4fb30f5f3a84129227bdd78fd.jpg

f0bdd14dda8e34900697c897da47007a.jpg

- Brent

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    It's really purtty and, when you find out what she likes to eat, I'm sure you will be shooting like Billy Dixon. :party29:

Man I can only wish! Read a great old book on that hunting period of the American West. There were some incredible feats performed with these rifles. They’re capable of much in a practiced hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Yes sir, that is a beautiful rifle. Nice shooting. :thumbsup:

Clearly your loads were with smokeless powder. You might consider building some rounds using black powder and try their performance. Back in the 19th century that's what Sharps were fed. It's not difficult to clean your Sharps after shooting BP cartridges and making white smoke is a helluva lotta fun. :innocent0

Below are a couple of pics of CombatAK firing his Sharps with BP cartridges this morning.

Food for thought...

:D

Attachments

• Snapshot 2 (8-1-2021 4-54 PM).jpg
      Snapshot 2 (8-1-2021 4-54 PM).jpg
      64.6 KB · Views: 245
    • Snapshot 5 (8-1-2021 4-56 PM).jpg
      Snapshot 5 (8-1-2021 4-56 PM).jpg
      64.7 KB · Views: 232

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Yes sir, that is a beautiful rifle. Nice shooting. :thumbsup:

Clearly your loads were with smokeless powder. You might consider building some rounds using black powder and try their performance. Back in the 19th century that's what Sharps were fed. It's not difficult to clean your Sharps after shooting BP cartridges and making white smoke is a helluva lotta fun. :innocent0

Below are a couple of pics of CombatAK firing his Sharps with BP cartridges this morning.

Food for thought...

:D

Trust me, that is where I’m going to be going. Drop tube, compression tinkering, and all. I want to try two different alloys. I 1 in 16 and a 1 in 20. 1:16 was what the big hunters used before 1880. 1:20 seems to be a more modern alloy choice. I want to see how each performs though! These specific loads were loaded for me by the previous owner. I have yet to begin casting and loading. I’m at the very foot of the mountain here!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Trust me, that is where I’m going to be going. Drop tube, compression tinkering, and all. I want to try two different alloys. I 1 in 16 and a 1 in 20. 1:16 was what the big hunters used before 1880. 1:20 seems to be a more modern alloy choice. I want to see how each performs though! These specific loads were loaded for me by the previous owner. I have yet to begin casting and loading. I’m at the very foot of the mountain here!

Sounds like you have been "bitten by the bug". GFY! :cool:

There are a some Hooligans on this forum who are "pretty familiar" with all the processes you just mentioned. They've been known to be 'real good" at hitting targets out to 1000 yards.

Paging 4570inMD! You got another "fish on the line" here... :lol2:

4570 is one of my best friends and mentors. He knows his sh!t when it comes to long range BPCR shooting. He's someone you might want to connect with on the forum.

:secret: He's also a master enabler tho. Just ask CombatAK, BigRick and me... ;)

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland

There are a some Hooligans on this forum who are "pretty familiar" with all the processes you just mentioned. They've been known to be 'real good" at hitting targets out to 1000 yards.

4570 is one of my best friends and mentors. He knows his sh!t when it comes to long range BPCR shooting. He's someone you might want to connect with on the forum.

:secret: He's also a master enabler tho. Just ask CombatAK, BigRick and me... ;)

4570 is defiantly the man! He took me and in 1 year had me placing 2nd in nationals with my Shiloh Sharps! We love our sharps and if you need any tips or help let us know. Congrats on your rifle and she sure is pretty!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Very nIce. That rear sight makes all the difference too.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013

Thank you for the recommendation! This is something I have wanted to get into for a decade and finally the right opportunity came up! I know that I will have questions and will leap at the chance for help!

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    4570 is defiantly the man! He took me and in 1 year had me placing 2nd in nationals with my Shiloh Sharps! We love our sharps and if you need any tips or help let us know. Congrats on your rifle and she sure is pretty!

Wow thank you! Did you hit any of the recent big matches? New Mexico and the Q?

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013

Craziest things of all this are the resources I see behind me as I’ve moved. When I lived in MD and NC, I ALWAYS wanted one of these. I move down to SC, a man close to where I used to live reached out to me with this for sale. Had that happened earlier, I could have got a lot of peer to peer input. And now I see a HUGE resource in MD that would have been a welcome help as well.

I have joined the forum “Levergun Scoundrels” and been receiving much needed input on the subject. I’d love to add any more I can to that as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom