• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I'm piqued now . Between my wide ranging personal experience , and the commentary of my fellow MDS'ers , Potomac Traders is a new one to me.

Location , general description , speciality if any ? Are they recent or been around a while ?

Correction: Potomac *Trading*

They are in Kensington at the intersection of Connecticut Avenue and University Boulevard, and are co-located with a toy/model train shop.

However, my [bad] experiences date to the mid-late 1990s, and they may no longer exist

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Correction: Potomac *Trading*

They are in Kensington at the intersection of Connecticut Avenue and University Boulevard, and are co-located with a toy/model train shop.

However, my [bad] experiences date to the mid-late 1990s, and they may no longer exist

The morphed into Engage Armament, now relocated to Rockville.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok , that sounds familiar . I was aware of the first location , but forgot the previous name .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In general , I'm with GBender , in placing greatest weight to my own experiences and observations , and take a major dose of salt with reviews that such & such LGS either is outstanding or sucks .

BUT there are such things as permanently. disqualifying major transgressions , and some of those happened in the dark days of 2013 .

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The morphed into Engage Armament, now relocated to Rockville.

Not exactly.

The owner of Potomac Trading Post, Bill Prinz, used to sell firearms and edged weapons, mostly antique stuff, out of the space subsequently occupied by Engage, while the upper floors were filled with model train stuff.

Once Engage moved to Rockville, Bill shut down the lower space and confined his shop to the upper floors, sticking to trains and model airplanes.

I haven't visited his shop in a year or so, but he was pretty well confined to a wheelchair and not looking too viable back then. However, he had been looking that way for years previous, and I haven't heard anything of his passing, so it might still be business as usual.

Last edited:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Mm, clearly some stuff happened before I joined MDS. However, I judge based on my personal experience, and not what someone tells me to think; that policy has served me well in my lifetime.

Now, I will agree with you about the red-canine-who-shall-not-be-named; I purposefully avoid their booth at shows anymore because I'm tired of getting bitched at by a know-nothing know-it-all. It's a shame, too, because the guys who work under that individual have generally treated me with courtesy and respect.

I just realized, I forgot to mention Skeeter's over in Smithsburg. Nice little hole-in-the-wall shop, plus Skeeter helped me with my first handgun purchase. :)

Read these, and you will see they are no friend of the community. Between the attitudes of the people that work there, the insane markup that I remember, and numerous other things, I won't even go in there to buy a cleaning patch. Their antics in 2013 were the final nail in the coffin for many members to terminate their patronage to TGC. Remember, if they pulled this stuff in the past, they will do it again in the future.

Belay what I said about borderline theft, it would be theft. In addition to that they could be charged, convicted, and sued for anything that might have come from it. Also since their markup was so severe at the time, they would have blown past the $1,500 minimum in MD to make it felony theft.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=111515

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=131609

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mm, clearly some stuff happened before I joined MDS. However, I judge based on my personal experience, and not what someone tells me to think; that policy has served me well in my lifetime.

Now, I will agree with you about the red-canine-who-shall-not-be-named; I purposefully avoid their booth at shows anymore because I'm tired of getting bitched at by a know-nothing know-it-all. It's a shame, too, because the guys who work under that individual have generally treated me with courtesy and respect.

I just realized, I forgot to mention Skeeter's over in Smithsburg. Nice little hole-in-the-wall shop, plus Skeeter helped me with my first handgun purchase. :)

+1 for Skeeter’s. Been seeing him for years, mainly at gun raffles prior to the lockdown. Catching him at the shop is hit or miss.

Not exactly.

The owner of Potomac Trading Post, Bill Prinz, used to sell firearms and edged weapons, mostly antique stuff, out of the space subsequently occupied by Engage, while the upper floors were filled with model train stuff.

Once Engage moved to Rockville, Bill shut down the lower space and confined his shop to the upper floors, sticking to trains and model airplanes.

I haven't visited his shop in a year or so, but he was pretty well confined to a wheelchair and not looking too viable back then. However, he had been looking that way for years previous, and I haven't heard anything of his passing, so it might still be business as usual.

All I know is that in the Mid-late 1990s, the downstairs section had a lot of stuff on display marked "Not For Sale", the owner bragged about making another 01 FFL fill out 4473s mostly because he could, and would not budge on the price of a Luger that was severely blood-pitted and whose grips were held on with masking tape.

I remember their name appearing in a Post article about the time of the Beltway Shooter incidents

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...ns-lure/c55462e0-c9df-4c72-8553-f86eb3e9bb7a/

I vented about my experiences early on when I joined here, and received a PM from Engage saying "We're not like that anymore". No offense, they never should have been like that.

My experience in Montgomery County, MD

Pre-2020: I used to go to Atlantic in Rockville by the Popeyes before they closed down. Friendly and knowledgeable sales personnel. They never gave me an attitude.

Early 2020: Then, when covid hit, I tried Engage Armament on Gude Dr. What's up their asses? They have attitudes like they don't want to help you. If you ask a single question, they don't even want to answer it. They only want to use "yes" or "no" followed by a stare. They also want you to buy the only firearm they show you. If you ask to see another one, they let out a big sigh and then get it like it is too much effort. I don't think I would ever come back there. Maybe I just met the wrong guy, but I would rate this place based on that experience the WORST.

Mid 2020: I went to the Atlantic shop in Silver Spring. First experience there and was helped by Mark. Very helpful, patient, and was happy to answer any question I had. Even though there were other customers waiting outside, Mark continued to help me happily. I bought the firearm with ammo and don't regret it at all. When I came back to pick it up, Mark was there to help me again. It was so good, I want to keep patronizing them. They are about 10-20% priced higher than online stores though... Maybe it's a Montgomery County thing.

Late 2020: I went to United in Rockville off of Randolph with a buddy because we were in the area. Inventory was low. But the guys there were nice. They showed you whatever you wanted to see. I won't hesitate to buy here. It's a place that you want to spend money because they have good attitudes.

2021: I want to check out Atlantic (new location) and United again. I also want to venture out of Montgomery County to try another store. So, I'm loving this thread and store reviews.

I have cash to burn and I'm ready to spend. Too bad Engage Armament will never get my business.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Pre-2020: I used to go to Atlantic in Rockville by the Popeyes before they closed down. Friendly and knowledgeable sales personnel. They never gave me an attitude.

Early 2020: Then, when covid hit, I tried Engage Armament on Gude Dr. What's up their asses? They have attitudes like they don't want to help you. If you ask a single question, they don't even want to answer it. They only want to use "yes" or "no" followed by a stare. They also want you to buy the only firearm they show you. If you ask to see another one, they let out a big sigh and then get it like it is too much effort. I don't think I would ever come back there. Maybe I just met the wrong guy, but I would rate this place based on that experience the WORST.

Mid 2020: I went to the Atlantic shop in Silver Spring. First experience there and was helped by Mark. Very helpful, patient, and was happy to answer any question I had. Even though there were other customers waiting outside, Mark continued to help me happily. I bought the firearm with ammo and don't regret it at all. When I came back to pick it up, Mark was there to help me again. It was so good, I want to keep patronizing them. They are about 10-20% priced higher than online stores though... Maybe it's a Montgomery County thing.

Late 2020: I went to United in Rockville off of Randolph with a buddy because we were in the area. Inventory was low. But the guys there were nice. They showed you whatever you wanted to see. I won't hesitate to buy here. It's a place that you want to spend money because they have good attitudes.

2021: I want to check out Atlantic (new location) and United again. I also want to venture out of Montgomery County to try another store. So, I'm loving this thread and store reviews.

I have cash to burn and I'm ready to spend. Too bad Engage Armament will never get my business.

Sounds like you might've caught the guys at Engage on a bad day. They do try to cycle through people quick, so that was probably part of what you experienced, but they're good guys all around, especially towards regulars. United's great, I go there for practically all my business. Haven't been to Atlantic since the move, but the prices have always been a little high there. That said, you can almost always find what you're looking for there.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    All I know is that in the Mid-late 1990s, the downstairs section had a lot of stuff on display marked "Not For Sale", the owner bragged about making another 01 FFL fill out 4473s mostly because he could, and would not budge on the price of a Luger that was severely blood-pitted and whose grips were held on with masking tape.

Yeah, Bill basically had his collection on display. I suppose he might have sold/traded the NFS articles if you had something he wanted more.

I remember their name appearing in a Post article about the time of the Beltway Shooter incidents

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...ns-lure/c55462e0-c9df-4c72-8553-f86eb3e9bb7a/

Typical WaPo article by a female who hates guns, pretending to be a journalist.

I vented about my experiences early on when I joined here, and received a PM from Engage saying "We're not like that anymore". No offense, they never should have been like that.

Engage more or less shared space with the collection. They moved a lot of guns thru the Kensington shop. I can't recall ever having a problem with the old Engage; I'm not sure what they never should have been like. I recall they had a lot more variation in their stock than they do now; a lot of C&R consignments that I wish I'd bought more of.

I pulled up your posts from 2010, but I didn't find any rants, just a comment about the old Potomac Trading having scary radio ads about buying unregistered pistols. I'm guessing that was around the time MD decided to make everyone transfer thru FFLs.

As for Bill P, he was a bit of a character, not so much interested in selling off his stuff, more interested in dealing with other collectors. Obviously wasn't in it for the money, just hanging around in the midst of all his collected interests; it's doubtful he'd have had room for everything at his home, so stuffing it all into the shop makes sense.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    2A is a great place , Hafers is great I dive better an hour to those guys . Clear spring gun shop , Firld traders, Cindy’s , and even Pasadena gun I’ve had good experience. Thankfully the worst is gone , Wayne had horrible people skills at Select fire , think it was called . Cindy’s now and it’s pleasant now.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Cant say enough good about 2A in Jessup. I never regret stopping in, even though it usually costs me. I also like United, its just a long haul for me. As for worst, Im going with Worth a Shot.

I used to swing by 2A on my way to DnD Night, but the last time I was there they were closed and the hours were super weird? Have they gone back to the usual hours yet?

Beefcube

Sammich King
    Mar 15, 2011
    Westminster
    Another A+ for Bollinger's in Taneytown.

I went to the beach so I stopped to see Gus at Lighthouse Guns in Selbyville. He use to own Accurate Pawn on Washington Blvd.
    Two minutes after I called Bollinger's they sent their ffl to transfer a S&W to Maryland.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    2A is a great place , Hafers is great I dive better an hour to those guys . Clear spring gun shop , Firld traders, Cindy’s , and even Pasadena gun I’ve had good experience. Thankfully the worst is gone , Wayne had horrible people skills at Select fire , think it was called . Cindy’s now and it’s pleasant now.

Drive an extra 15 minutes past Hafers to Shuppies and save a ton of money. His prices are way cheaper than Tim's and Clearspring gun shop. I live in Clearspring and those 2 places are known as the most expensive places around.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Another A+ for Bollinger's in Taneytown.

I went to the beach so I stopped to see Gus at Lighthouse Guns in Selbyville. He use to own Accurate Pawn on Washington Blvd.
    Two minutes after I called Bollinger's they sent their ffl to transfer a S&W to Maryland.

Bollinger used to be beloved around here then something happened. I seem to recall a bunch of lying about transferred firearms and cerakote work or something like that. Then they disappeared

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom