• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I have to admit I'm impressed with Rachael's (at the MSP) responsiveness. I emailed her last month about the LCP MAX and she confirmed it was not on the roster. Today without my asking, she emailed me with the following:

Final Update - I received the sample of the Sturm Ruger LCP Max and it will be processed. If approved by the Board, the firearm should go in the next Maryland Register issue on September 24th. You have to allow 30 days for objections and if none, the firearm will be legal for sale and on the handgun roster on October 24th. You may start the 77R application process on that date.

So we are looking at 24-October for it to be good to go.....

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    FYI- Scott’s in Glen Burnie has one in the shop if anyone wants to check one out in person pre-roster. Saw it there today.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Yep, was not there this morning but there now. Mine is ordered..... along with an additional mag...

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    77R submitted today! LCP Max now in 7 day purgatory. Really cool that Ruger built such a tiny high capacity package!

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Picked mine up on Sunday. First impressions are that the trigger is absolutely awesome. It's smooth and crisp unlike any other stock pistol I've ever purchased. Hoping to get to the range this weekend.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Question:
    is the "modern" 380 round adequate as a defensive round? (sure, I would not want to be shot with a 22)
    I have never owned a 380 or looked that deep into one,, but considering for my wife, she currently shoots a 9mm and is ok with it, (6' and 155#)

Thanks,
    Slack

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I would say that from some of the research I have done on the net that some newer 380 rounds is quite capable as a self defense round. Is it better than 9mm? Of course not. Do a search on some of the newer video comparisons. He are 2 from the military arms channel that show some that performed quite well.

https://youtu.be/-PDQcE-1T40

https://youtu.be/xok7O76Y26E

On another note I am really looking forward to getting the new LCP Max to the range!

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Had my first chance to try out my LCP MAX MAX-9 out at the range today. It was quite easy for me to ding steel at 25 yds. The sights are really decent and the trigger like I mentioned above is really has a very smooth engagement and clean crisp break. It may be the best stock trigger on a gun in the sub $700 price range.

Size wise it is very slightly smaller than my Hellcat. The grip on the Hellcat is maybe .1” wider at most, but it does hold 2 more rounds than the LCP MAX MAX-9. I do like the texture of the grip on the Hellcat better, especially the small pad just under the slide in front of the trigger. That detail is missing on the LCP MAX MAX-9. However I like the shape and feel of the slide better on the MAX-9. IMO the trigger guard is a little more comfortable on the MAX-9. However I can disengage the slide lock one handed on the Hellcat, not possible for me on the MAX-9.

All in all it’s a well made and capable subcompact pistol.

4e172a47f0a0377cbf7b3e943c8333fb.jpg

Last edited:

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Had my first chance to try out my LCP MAX out at the range today. It was quite easy for me to ding steel at 25 yds. The sights are really decent and the trigger like I mentioned above is really has a very smooth engagement and clean crisp break. It may be the best stock trigger on a gun in the sub $700 price range.

Size wise it is very slightly smaller than my Hellcat. The grip on the Hellcat is maybe .1” wider at most, but it does hold 2 more rounds than the LCP Max. I do like the texture of the grip on the Hellcat better, especially the small pad just under the slide in front of the trigger. That detail is missing on the LCP. However I like the shape and feel of the slide better on the LCP. IMO the trigger guard is a little more comfortable on the LCP. However I can disengage the slide lock one handed on the Hellcat, not possible for me on the LCP.

That’s the MAX 9, not the LCP MAX. LCP MAX is close in size to the LCP II.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Like Mark said, you don't have an LCP max.

Hope you just have a name mixup and didn't end up with the wrong pistol. ;)

What you have (Max 9):

5.jpg

https://ruger.com/products/max-9/specSheets/3501.html

LCP Max:

5.jpg

https://www.ruger.com/products/lcpMax/specSheets/13716.html

Had my first chance to try out my LCP MAX out at the range today. It was quite easy for me to ding steel at 25 yds. The sights are really decent and the trigger like I mentioned above is really has a very smooth engagement and clean crisp break. It may be the best stock trigger on a gun in the sub $700 price range.

Size wise it is very slightly smaller than my Hellcat. The grip on the Hellcat is maybe .1” wider at most, but it does hold 2 more rounds than the LCP Max. I do like the texture of the grip on the Hellcat better, especially the small pad just under the slide in front of the trigger. That detail is missing on the LCP. However I like the shape and feel of the slide better on the LCP. IMO the trigger guard is a little more comfortable on the LCP. However I can disengage the slide lock one handed on the Hellcat, not possible for me on the LCP.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Here’s a good size comparison.

:thumbsup:

Much better comparison image than the ones I linked from Ruger.

What you have is a compact pistol... the Max-9, a higher cap. version of the LC-9/EC-9.

The new subcompact is the LCP Max, a higher cap. version of the LVP/LCPII, all of which are chambered in .380.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom