• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    I need another AR-xx like I need a hole in my head but when I look at what I do have... There is a point of commonality and that being none of them are what I consider 'utility grade'. Whether from a reliability or collectible standpoint. The ones that have always been 100% are also the ones that I would never consider using in a H-D type scenario. Once it gets impounded to the evidence locker in this liberal ****hole of a state you might as well count on never seeing it again.

Local guy had a few of these on the rack last week... might have to check one out now :o

Larry David

Jul 1, 2013
    Carroll County
    Windham makes a very good, dependable rifle. I may or may not have more than one. You get a lot for your money with a Windham modern sporting rifle. Go get one.

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    Anyone have any experience with the dissipater HBAR model? I've only heard good things about Windham. Are the barrels or rifles marked HBAR somewhere on them? Do they need to be marked "HBAR" or "heavy barrel" or something similar to be compliant, or is simply having the HBAR profile sufficient?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Anyone have any experience with the dissipater HBAR model? I've only heard good things about Windham. Are the barrels or rifles marked HBAR somewhere on them? Do they need to be marked "HBAR" or "heavy barrel" or something similar to be compliant, or is simply having the HBAR profile sufficient?

It needs to be marked or marketed as an HBAR. Those are clearly marketed as such.
    I believe Windham Dissipaters actually have carbine length gas. Solid rifles and that's a good price

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    It needs to be marked or marketed as an HBAR. Those are clearly marketed as such.
    I believe Windham Dissipaters actually have carbine length gas. Solid rifles and that's a good price

Good to know. They do look like nice rifles. According to the video Atlantic posted, they're saying the dissipator models have mid-length gas systems.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

The "HBC" stands for Heavy Barrel Carbine

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Yes. I got a heavy barrel dissi upper from Windham and added this hand guard to it.

Attachments

• rifle-556-spikes-dissipator-alt1.jpg
      rifle-556-spikes-dissipator-alt1.jpg
      81.7 KB · Views: 163

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    What is the HBAR barrel profile of which you speak? It’s not defined anywhere, if you’ve read up on this topic all over this site. It’s arbitrary, and only has to be “marketed” as HBAR, or stamped on it as such. The Windham HBAR is marketed as such, but be careful they also have models that are not. My model WW15 is not marked HBAR, but is/was advertised and marketed as such, purchased 2016 in the great Hildebeast scare.

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    Yes. I got a heavy barrel dissi upper from Windham and added this hand guard to it.

That looks like an awesome rifle. Is the barrel or upper receiver marked HBAR or heavy barrel anywhere, or is the WW Dissipator one of the rifles that relies on being marketed as an HBAR?

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    What is the HBAR barrel profile of which you speak? It’s not defined anywhere, if you’ve read up on this topic all over this site. It’s arbitrary, and only has to be “marketed” as HBAR, or stamped on it as such. The Windham HBAR is marketed as such, but be careful they also have models that are not. My model WW15 is not marked HBAR, but is/was advertised and marketed as such, purchased 2016 in the great Hildebeast scare.

When I posted that, I was thinking like the barrel profiles explained in this article or on this website. By not defined anywhere, do you mean legally defined, or do you mean that even in the firearms industry there's a lot of variance in barrel profiles (such as carbine or M4 profile, heavy, bull, etc.)?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    When I posted that, I was thinking like the barrel profiles explained in this article or on this website. By not defined anywhere, do you mean legally defined, or do you mean that even in the firearms industry there's a lot of variance in barrel profiles (such as carbine or M4 profile, heavy, bull, etc.)?
    In Maryland it is not defined legally, and as far as any of us know, and industry speaking there is no stated dimensional measurements or visual indicators that would designate “heavy” profile. All wonderfully vague and probably purposely non-descript.

Just be sure that XYZ manufacture’s sales literature says “Heavy Barrel”, or in the case of Windham as specified earlier, they have a “Maryland State Compliant” section of their product selector on the site. Pick that one. I didn’t see the “Dissipator” on their site as being Maryland Compliant, only the “HBC” model, which is what I bought from local IP J. Lowes a few years ago, though that designation isn’t stamped on my rifle, just “WW15”. The paperwork and box said “HBC”.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

So if you look on in WW's catalog, they have a government profile and a heavy profile version of their dissipator.

I have a copy of the catalog from the year I bought the upper as reference.

Let me also tell you the 16" dissi haevy barrel weighs as much or more than the gov profile 20" that I have on my pre-ban.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    So if you look on in WW's catalog, they have a government profile and a heavy profile version of their dissipator.

I have a copy of the catalog from the year I bought the upper as reference.

Let me also tell you the 16" dissi haevy barrel weighs as much or more than the gov profile 20" that I have on my pre-ban.
    I had only looked on the sub-category “Maryland Approved”, which they list only one. Plus, to be honest, I have no idea what a “dissipator” is. I’ve seen that term referenced on the web many times, but never had the initiative to look it up. That’s good news for the OP, more than one Windham option.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    In Maryland it is not defined legally, and as far as any of us know, and industry speaking there is no stated dimensional measurements or visual indicators that would designate “heavy” profile. All wonderfully vague and probably purposely non-descript.

Just be sure that XYZ manufacture’s sales literature says “Heavy Barrel”, or in the case of Windham as specified earlier, they have a “Maryland State Compliant” section of their product selector on the site. Pick that one. I didn’t see the “Dissipator” on their site as being Maryland Compliant, only the “HBC” model, which is what I bought from local IP J. Lowes a few years ago, though that designation isn’t stamped on my rifle, just “WW15”. The paperwork and box said “HBC”.

Atlantic advertises these as MD legal.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/maryland-legal-firearms?page=7

Further more, I know if at least one FFL that transferred one of these recently to the owner of my company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom