• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DonBrizzel

Mar 11, 2010
    I keep hearing and reading that the law in Maryland is that an SBR must have an overall length of 29" at it's longest length.

However, according to the MSP, they don't even consider a rifle an SBR until it's under 26" or barrel of less that 16".

Maryland Law, Criminal Law Article ("CR").§ 4 - 201 (f), defines "short - barreled rifle" as a rifle that
    1. One or more barrels with one or both measuring less than 16 inches long;
    OR
    2. Has an overall length of less than 26 inches AND was manufactured from a rifle either by alteration or modification.

Can someone help me out here? Do I have to keep the rifle over 29" for an SBR even though MSP doesn't classify 29" as an SBR (if the barrel was 16")?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Can someone help me out here? Do I have to keep the rifle over 29" for an SBR even though MSP doesn't classify 29" as an SBR (if the barrel was 16")?

Yes. It must be at least 29" in OAL.

That's because, for this part of the law, MSP has decided that SBR's are rifles. Under the FSA 2013, any semiatomatic, centerfire rifle with an OAL of less than 29" is banned as being a "copycat" Assault Weapon. It doesn't have anything to do with it specifically being an SBR or not - some bullpups would be banned under this provision as well, because even though they have 16" barrels, they are not 29" in OAL.

Thus, you have to keep any new SBRs at an OAL of at least 29".

giggity

Nov 8, 2013
    SBR's can't be shorter then 29" fully extended? Almost doesn't seem worth doing. So that limits the average AR SBR to what... a 14.5" barrel?

giggity

Nov 8, 2013
    So muzzle devices count towards the overall length but don't have to be pinned/welded?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    SBR's can't be shorter then 29" fully extended? Almost doesn't seem worth doing. So that limits the average AR SBR to what... a 14.5" barrel?

Yeah, a 10.5" bbl is easy to get 29" out of, and it can be done on an 8.5" bbl with the right stock and such (on an AR).

quattroginger

Feb 22, 2013
    i gotta start measuring to see what my options are for 10.5. you guys are making me feel like i have more options than i originally thought.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    i gotta start measuring to see what my options are for 10.5. you guys are making me feel like i have more options than i originally thought.
    The place to really be careful is with PDW-style stocks, which are sometimes substantially shorter than carbine stocks.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    It's actually pretty easy to meet the 29" OAL requirement on an AR with most AR-style stocks.

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    I know this page is old as heck, but I wish I saw it long ago. I just ran into this problem. I own a Sten Mk III SBR, decided hey I want the next project. I found a good Uzi parts kit online. Got it, went through the local gun shop and got a fully welded receiver and started my SBR Paperwork. Started buying the semi auto parts (Which is NOT easy) probably #1 due to pandemic and #2 because of the gun scare with our current administration. I'm several dollars into it, first Application was disapproved because my photo wasn't of their standards, disapproved again because of the 29" rule in Maryland. So now I'm using a Uzi to Picatinny Rail adaptor to a Picatinny Rail to AR Buffer Tube adapter then I'll use a Magpul Stock to get my 29" minimum. I wanted the original wood stock but at least by paperwork reasons I have to go this route. I can own a pistol, I can own a SBR, but god don't have a SBR less than 29" long! I don't like braces but believe me I was wondering if I should of went that route.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I know this page is old as heck, but I wish I saw it long ago. I just ran into this problem. I own a Sten Mk III SBR, decided hey I want the next project. I found a good Uzi parts kit online. Got it, went through the local gun shop and got a fully welded receiver and started my SBR Paperwork. Started buying the semi auto parts (Which is NOT easy) probably #1 due to pandemic and #2 because of the gun scare with our current administration. I'm several dollars into it, first Application was disapproved because my photo wasn't of their standards, disapproved again because of the 29" rule in Maryland. So now I'm using a Uzi to Picatinny Rail adaptor to a Picatinny Rail to AR Buffer Tube adapter then I'll use a Magpul Stock to get my 29" minimum. I wanted the original wood stock but at least by paperwork reasons I have to go this route. I can own a pistol, I can own a SBR, but god don't have a SBR less than 29" long! I don't like braces but believe me I was wondering if I should of went that route.

I think I would try a Mossad Gemtech suppressor on it. It acts as a barrel nut so the gun can't be fired without it, so no need to pin it... I think. Frankly I don't think that MD actually says anything about barrel length, people are just taking that pin and welded thing from the ATF way of doing it. That would make it suppressed and long enough. And it would keep it from looking like crap...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    MSP have said repeatedly that they're using the ATF method for measuring length. I think they'd be able to defend that methodology in a court case.

Also, be advised that the ATF has previously claimed that the Uzi QD wood stock DOES NOT count towards OAL for whatever reason. YMMV and all that.

Finally, realize that MD law does not specify that flash suppressors must be muzzle devices. An Uzi with a Mossad and folding stock would still be an assault long gun even if the Mossad was perma-pinned to the barrel nut.

IOW, trapture has a lot of bad options on their way to a MD legal Uzi. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom