• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Per the suggestion of Robbie Leonard, I went and got myself an FBI run background check today. Turns out I am NOT a terrorist, and I was sent home with a stripped AeroPrecision M5 upper and lower kit.

ar10 2.JPG

I have no idea what I want to build this into :o, so I would love to see pictures and suggestions.

I also have a lot of questions. As of yesterday, pretty much all I knew about .308 AR's was that they could be tricky to build because there was no universal spec like the AR-15, and there were two patterns of magazines.

Here is what I learned today from the box:
    ar10 1.JPG

I just learned from poking around MDS that I lucked out on the mag choice as the DPMS pattern is apparently the same as SR25 and the more popular (I love it when a frivolous splurge at least gets something right :party29:)

Soo...I need DPMS patterned parts...:tap: what exactly does that mean? Looking a little bit online, I see that it is it's own LPK, but I'm not 100% clear on whether it uses an AR-15 buffer tube or not. And how about furniture?

I'm almost tempted to put the upper in my parts pile and just buy a complete upper assembly...but how does that non-standard issue fit in? Also, I would have to have some vision of what barrel I want. Heck, I don't even know what type of shooting I want to do with this rifle! :shrug:

I believe Chad still has a build class opening at the end of the month, which, of course, would be the most prudent course of action :rolleyes: but I don't think I am free that day, and doubt I could get all the parts together in time anyway.

Thoughts, parts lists, pictures, suggestions, etc. appreciated.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    I have three AR10’s. One is a 20” bull BHW 1x11 shoots M80 ball way sub moa at 50 yds five shots one hole. Another 308 same barrel but semi bull. Shoot pretty close. I just got a black hole weaponry 22”. 1x8 twist light. 260 Rem. Got to finish lower the it’s god Thr 308’s are aero prec M5 E1with mlok 15” 260 has a standard upper with a Guntec upper receiver and super slim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Is that DPMS high, or Low? Edit: it is high, my foregrips will fit. i have 2 forgrips that will match the rail height that i will sell you, one is a midwest, one is an SLR

You can use a standard AR15 buffer tube, even a carbine one. Just use a heavy buffer. I have a magpul PRS, buffer tube, buffer and spring i can sell you if you want.

Using an adjustable gas block is a really good idea. AR15s run overgassed, AR10s even moreso. Really helps tame recoil, and keeps the receivers from getting as beat up.

Muzzle threads are 5/8" instead of 1/2" for your muzzle device.

It is a good idea to chase the threads of the bolt release before installing. The bolt release screw is a small screw, not a roll pin like on an AR15. If the threads bind, the bolt can crack and shear off in the hole and is a pain to get out

Pin and spring kit and triggers are all cross compatible with AR-15, as are pistol grip, gas tube and gas block.

BCG and charging handle are AR10 specific.

PM me if you are interested in the parts.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Shot Hornady HPBT 225 gr at 2,440 FPS . A little hard on brass. But whatever you do get an adjustable gas block. Otherwise brass bears on deflector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    I'm in the middle of my first AR10 build as well! I'm using an Aero M5 receiver set with a 14.5" carbine length Ballistic Advantage barrel w/ a pinned/welded Surefire SOCOM Brake and an adjustable gas block. For furniture, I'm going with a Troy PDW stock and the Troy carbon fiber M-Lok handguard. For optics, I'm still on the fence about whether it's going to be an LPVO, probably a Trijicon or a Vortex, or an EOTech EXPS and a magnifier.

Here's a couple mock-ups from Gunstruction:

Attachments

• 1551894472994~2.jpg
      1551894472994~2.jpg
      26 KB · Views: 1,214
    • 1551491593445~2.jpg
      1551491593445~2.jpg
      26.7 KB · Views: 1,251

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    You can use a standard AR15 buffer tube, even a carbine one.
    Using an adjustable gas block is a really good idea. AR15s run overgassed, AR10s even moreso. Really helps tame recoil, and keeps the receivers from getting as beat up.

Pin and spring kit and triggers are all cross compatible with AR-15, as are pistol grip, gas tube and gas block.

BCG and charging handle are AR10 specific.

I have several AR10s, including two Aero M5E1s.

You can NOT use a standard AR15 carbine buffer tube unless you find the weird, short, special buffer to use with it. For a carbine, the AR10 uses a slightly longer tube and then you can use any common AR15 carbine buffer w/ your AR10 carbine spring. The AR10 BCG needs to be able to stroke back into the tube slightly farther to lock on the bolt hold open. For a rifle build, the AR10 and AR15 use the same rifle tube.

The takedown pins on an Aero lower are NOT the same as an AR15. They are longer. Save yourself the headache and just get a LPK direct from Aero (minus trigger if you want something nicer). IIRC, their boltcatch is slightly different to fit better to.

Some AR10 barrels are gassed correctly. Not every manufacturer drills the enormous (0.118"?) Armalite gas holes. Still, a good adj gas block is a good idea.

FWIW, the Brownells nitride BCG is the same as the Aero one for much less. Both are from toolcraft. The AP one just has a laser engraved AP on the side. I have both.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    Subscribed. Need to perform some updates on my 10. Would like to add low pro gas block, longer free float rail, and a stock like above. Also need recommendation on set of rings to hold scope. Was thinking of LaRue but don't need to break the bank, just need a mid-range set of rings. Also interested in any other tweaks that I can make.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    FWIW, the Brownells nitride BCG is the same as the Aero one for much less. Both are from toolcraft. The AP one just has a laser engraved AP on the side. I have both.

Speaking of Toolcraft, you can find their DPMS pattern BCG for $125, and like everything else they make you can't go wrong with it. That's what I'm using for my AR10 build.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

You can NOT use a standard AR15 carbine buffer tube unless you find the weird, short, special buffer to use with it. For a carbine, the AR10 uses a slightly longer tube and then you can use any common AR15 carbine buffer w/ your AR10 carbine spring. The AR10 BCG needs to be able to stroke back into the tube slightly farther to lock on the bolt hold open. For a rifle build, the AR10 and AR15 use the same rifle tube.

The takedown pins on an Aero lower are NOT the same as an AR15. They are longer. Save yourself the headache and just get a LPK direct from Aero (minus trigger if you want something nicer). IIRC, their boltcatch is slightly different to fit better to.

Some AR10 barrels are gassed correctly. Not every manufacturer drills the enormous (0.118"?) Armalite gas holes. Still, a good adj gas block is a good idea.

The main issue are knowing the proprietary parts needed, and which pattern to ensure compatibility. Aero is DPMS high profile, as you said, pins are long, even other AR10 kits usually won't work. The bolt catch is thicker, and it uses an extended mag release button with standardAR15/DPMS mag catch to make up the roughly 1/8" wider receiver. You can also use the AR10B's extended mag catch with a standard or aftermarket AR15 spec mag release button. The essentials LPK it only $30 from a few places(no FCG / grip) definitely the way to go if you don't mind the standard controls. selector is AR15 spec, FCG is AR15 spec, but being some mil-surp and Berdan ammo has hard primers, light springs or hammers might have issues. The BCG has 3/4" longer travel than an AR15, so either need the stupid, light and short 2.5" buffers with a standard AR15 spec 7" buffer tube, or the Armalite/A5 spec 7.75" tube, and a standard 3.25" carbine buffer. Nice thing about the standard buffers is 3 weigts instead of 2, so you can use a heavier buffer if needed. Buffer springs also can be a PITA, usually 308 rifle, and 308 carbine spec, but the short Carbine length 308/9mm springs vary somewhat in length.

My 18" BA with rifle gas can take a nearly wide open adjustment for some light 7.62 NATO loads, but will beat you up unless nearly closed off with some heavier commercial 308 loads. I like the Superlative arms gas blocks, click detents, with the detent outside of the block itself, so it doesn't get fouled, larger screw than the SLR. They push the "bleed off" feature, but it works like any other gas block to choke off gas if you turn the screw between closed and 2.5 turns out.

This is my latest build, Aero M5 receivers, 15" M-lok ATLAS, UBR2 stock(A5 length so standard carbine buffers) Radian selector and CH, AR gold trigger and BA 18" fluted heavy barrel. Topped with a Vortex PST2 1-6, wanted the option to run it in 3 gun, but as a fun compact rifle for 400yds and under, it's been great.
    20181201_162931.jpg

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County

I meant trigger pins, but yes- takedown pins are longer(my receiver set came with them) And i guess i was wrong about the buffer tube, i have a UBR on mine which can be used on both AR10 and AR15, hence my confusion

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Here is mine.
    Matrix Aerospace upper and lower
    Faxon fluted 5R barrel 16"
    Precision Arms M4-72 muzzle brake
    Superlative Arms adustable gas block and tube
    WMD NiB BCG
    Stark grip
    SLR foregrip
    Magpul UBR stock and 25rd mags and BUIS
    Sightron S-Tac 2-10 scope
    Burris Fastfire 2 mini red dot
    Vltor bipod
    Radian Raptor charging handle
    Tac-con 3MR trigger
    KNS anti-roll pins
    Gesielle Maritime bolt catch

Attachments

• KIMG1552.jpg
      KIMG1552.jpg
      60.7 KB · Views: 586

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Thanks for all the responses. Keep em' coming. It seems like these rifles either get built out for long range precision or what I would affectionately refer to as "hog busters." They are both sexy in their own right. Precision sounds expensive to do right, and I really don't have a long range to shoot. I don't have any hogs to bust either:o

I figure I'll start stocking up on a few of the universal parts. I definitely want a rifle stock, so that makes the buffer tube question simple. It makes sense to just go with the Aero LPK for the take down pins. I'm a little cash strapped right now, but I would rather spend a little more to get a complete system that I know will work than go through the hassle of parting every detail out for the best price. In the interest of parts compatibility, I thought I would go ahead and get a complete Aero BCG...there's even one in my shopping cart right now...and then I saw this:

Been seeing lots of Aero and Brownells .308 Bolts read short on headspace lately. Bad Gas Keys too.

Be careful.

Great :tap: So what's a better option? Or is this just something that could be fixed in a future build class :innocent0

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Been seeing lots of Aero and Brownells .308 Bolts read short on headspace lately. Bad Gas Keys too.

Be careful.

Good to know! Just went and measured both of mine. Right on the 0.186" spec. Good thing as I'll likely be machining and chambering a barrel blank to fit one this weekend.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks for all the responses. Keep em' coming. It seems like these rifles either get built out for long range precision or what I would affectionately refer to as "hog busters." They are both sexy in their own right. Precision sounds expensive to do right, and I really don't have a long range to shoot. I don't have any hogs to bust either:o

I figure I'll start stocking up on a few of the universal parts. I definitely want a rifle stock, so that makes the buffer tube question simple. It makes sense to just go with the Aero LPK for the take down pins. I'm a little cash strapped right now, but I would rather spend a little more to get a complete system that I know will work than go through the hassle of parting every detail out for the best price. In the interest of parts compatibility, I thought I would go ahead and get a complete Aero BCG...there's even one in my shopping cart right now...and then I saw this:

Great :tap: So what's a better option? Or is this just something that could be fixed in a future build class :innocent0

For the bolt itself you can't beat JP. Their Firing Pin Hole isn't oversized and I have never experienced a headspace issue with them.

I'm not a fan of most JP products but their bolt is great.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    For the bolt itself you can't beat JP. Their Firing Pin Hole isn't oversized and I have never experienced a headspace issue with them.

I'm not a fan of most JP products but their bolt is great.

Do you mean just the bolt only, not the BCG? JP BCG's get kinda pricey:o

Would/should a JP bolt work in a Brownells or Aero BCG?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Do you mean just the bolt only, not the BCG? JP BCG's get kinda pricey:o

Would/should a JP bolt work in a Brownells or Aero BCG?

Just the JP bolt my friend. Dont get the JP Carrier.

JP Bolt will work with the Aero Carrier. If the Aero Carrier is Nitrided is the likely it will fail the Gas Key Gauge that you and Katie used in the class.

Get a chrome lined Aero Carrier if you can. They are usually fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom