• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I stumbled into a bit of Providence this weekend. I got a phone call from an old friend from this forum. He and his family own a huge farm in HoCo. They have a big problem with deer there and have crop deprivation permits to help control the situation. Well, he invited me in on the fun. Looks like I will be knee-deep in doe meat this season. Considering I lost three of my four hunting spots last year, this is manna from Heaven.

Thanks SC! Can't wait to get on the job. :)

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I stumbled into a bit of Providence this weekend. I got a phone call from an old friend from this forum. He and his family own a huge farm in HoCo. They have a big problem with deer there and have crop deprivation permits to help control the situation. Well, he invited me in on the fun. Looks like I will be knee-deep in doe meat this season. Considering I lost three of my four hunting spots last year, this is manna from Heaven.

That's great news!

Good luck!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD

Awesome, timing of that worked out perfect for you.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Congrats! If it proves just too much to handle, you know where to find me :D

One of my neighbors and friends is (fingers crossed) moving in a few weeks up in to Carroll County near WM from Howard. Found a 22 acre farm he is buying. He can probably handle it all by himself (well, him and his kids), but hopefully I can at least sweet talk him in to letting my kids hunt it with my supervision a time or two.

They are getting to that age where I am feeling comfortable and they are getting interested in hunting. But I am NOT comfortable letting them hunt on our property. Its archery only and I am much more comfortable with them rifle or muzzleloader hunting than bow hunting to start.

I don't want their first experience to be a bad shot with an unwieldy (for them) crossbow and their deer runs half a mile through the neighborhood (we are on 4.4 acres).

I'd rather private land than public for that first time. That said, worst comes to worst, I'll take them out to greenridge next year as I know enough of it to be comfortable with them out there.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Also I am definitely going to look to buy a property in the next couple of years. I'll be the first to say I am in a sweet, sweet spot. Have a creek and woods in back, up on a bit of a ridge. A couple 3-5 acre properties around me and a few 1-2 acre properties also. Only one neighbor I know of hunts a couple properties away from mine. Crap tons of deer. A lot of them come up out of the park a mile away and have plenty of bedding areas in the woods behind my house. But I also know all it would take is a new neighbor who is antihunter and I am pretty much shut down. Especially my immediate next door neighbor. They are on 4.4 acres also (it was an 8.8 acre plot that got divided up when they and the former owner of my house bought it, divided it and built homes at the same time). Part of my property I primarily hunt, deer are 50/50 going to run towards the creek on my property or bolt on to theirs.

I could always move where I hunt on my property, but still, it would make it harder and if I get two anti-hunter neighbors, there just is no way to hunt my property and not big enough to ensure the deer stay on it (I guess I could just go for all shoulder shots, but still, even then...)

I want more land. Ideally somewhere I can fish and hunt. Cabin, hiking, getting further from the cities, etc. Maybe some place I can shoot on the property too and rifle hunt. I figure 20+ acres is what I need for that.

I like to call it a F-you property. Because F-you, I can do what I want on it. Right now I have to rely on "tolerant" neighbors for a lot. Sure, they are nice. But just like my next door neighbor on the 4.4 acres, I know he is retiring in 3 or 4 years (I think he has 3 left till his minimum retirement age?). They are likely to move after that. My brother-in-law has talked about maybe buying that property. But they are also just as likely to buy 10-15 acres out towards Taneytown or further west and north in a year or two.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Are you kidding? That's all I want to shoot. Put a nice fawn or yearling between 2 of the biggest 16 point bucks in the State and I will shoot the small one every time. Delicious.
    This. I have nailed a few now and then. Especially in late October when the spots are faded and they are almost as big as mom. When you are 22 ft up they all look the same anyway. The ones around her have been trained to look up by mom so if they look or blow an arrow is headed their way.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    It looks like the does have been kicking the button fawns out. I've had 2 come to my tree stand and bed down. Nobody came to show time Friday/Sat but fawns. Oaks near my tree stand seem to not be dropping much. Might actually be a dud this season for my woods where im setup. Might need to switch to my self climber and go to where I hear the dropping sounds.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Are you kidding? That's all I want to shoot. Put a nice fawn or yearling between 2 of the biggest 16 point bucks in the State and I will shoot the small one every time. Delicious.

I have a couple buddies I hunt for and they always get a fawn from me. I have my butcher split them like pigs for the bbq. Delicious! :yummy:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a couple buddies I hunt for and they always get a fawn from me. I have my butcher split them like pigs for the bbq. Delicious! :yummy:

I got a crossbow. I need to get it sighted in! 2 fawns in my MIL's backyeard where I can legally hunt I have my eye on. They will be disassembled in the garage.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It looks like the does have been kicking the button fawns out. I've had 2 come to my tree stand and bed down. Nobody came to show time Friday/Sat but fawns. Oaks near my tree stand seem to not be dropping much. Might actually be a dud this season for my woods where im setup. Might need to switch to my self climber and go to where I hear the dropping sounds.

Huh. Buttons at my place are still with Mom.

What’s odd is one of the buttons is spot free and almost as big as the yearling does. Heck he’s about as big as the spike hanging out with the herd.

I wonder if he was born a month early or something. He’s about the size I’d expect from a late October button, not mid September.

It was a pain though opening morning. Momma has a fawn and kept chasing the other does. Made it really hard to get an ideal shot close in.

I’ve actually never seen does chasing like that till this year. She’s been really feisty with the other does in the herd the last few weeks.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Huh. Buttons at my place are still with Mom.

What’s odd is one of the buttons is spot free and almost as big as the yearling does. Heck he’s about as big as the spike hanging out with the herd.

I wonder if he was born a month early or something. He’s about the size I’d expect from a late October button, not mid September.

It was a pain though opening morning. Momma has a fawn and kept chasing the other does. Made it really hard to get an ideal shot close in.

I’ve actually never seen does chasing like that till this year. She’s been really feisty with the other does in the herd the last few weeks.

That's how I decide which one to shoot. The feisty doe blowing at and kicking the other does. I've seen them get really rough with buttons too. That always earns them an arrow from me.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    I got a crossbow. I need to get it sighted in! 2 fawns in my MIL's backyeard where I can legally hunt I have my eye on. They will be disassembled in the garage.

I have a target that can take a broad head shot or two if you need to borrow it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That's how I decide which one to shoot. The feisty doe blowing at and kicking the other does. I've seen them get really rough with buttons too. That always earns them an arrow from me.

Yeah I am thinking that’s the one I shoulda shot in the end. Oh well. Still got some nice meat in the freezer.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland

I just did my DNR cert so I can hunt Berwyn (but damn are they making it difficult). I'm dead on at 30 yards. Now to get out to your MIL's house! I may need to sleep on your couch if we are doing the AM if that's cool? It's a hike getting up there.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Anyone else seeing few to no acorns? Some chestnut oaks dropped. None of the whites and reds in my woods. The few that were dropping are done. Normally its non stop this time of the year.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Anyone else seeing few to no acorns? Some chestnut oaks dropped. None of the whites and reds in my woods. The few that were dropping are done. Normally its non stop this time of the year.

Pin oaks just started in my front yard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom