Is ammo cheaper at the Gun Show or Online?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EsBee

Sep 4, 2020
    In my experience of raiding neighborhood gun stores, going to a gun show or two, and searching online, I've found the online option the best in terms of price and quality if you have the patience to keep checking for availability.

Just a week ago I scored 10 boxes (of 50 each) high quality 9mm factory ball ammo at under $0.40, shipped. .45ACP has been hard(er) to find, though.

czman

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 20, 2020
    Years ago, I used to shop for "stuff" at gun shows, and bought a shotgun at one, plus ammo and accessories. I haven't been to a show in a few years, but the last one i attended, I thought the prices for just about everything were way too high...$100 to $300 more for rifles, $100 more for handguns and, as for ammo, forget about it, in comparison to on-line sellers, even after rolling in the FFL fees. After encountering this at a few shows, I simply stopped attending.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    With Ammo the way it is I don't see how a Gunshow would be worth it for a seller to discount.
    It would only be a convenience factor if you don't own a storefront.

Gun shows for ammo guys is a way to move a bunch of inventory quickly in 1-2 days.

They dont have that problem right now. For a storefront All they have to do is say "hey, got 9mm" on a forum or Facebook page and people will come a running.

what am I missing for the sellers?

For the buyers, its more of a way to buy ammo and maybe save shipping if you are already there.

I know this is from awhile ago, but I was going to pickup a Howa 1500 I was having transferred and the LGS was just crazy busy. Good for him for sure. But way different than previous times where he has some business but it is almost all window shopping, transfers or serious buyer buying something in stock. Not like I hang out there a ton.

Anyway that evening I think one guy was looking to do a transfer and 6 guys looking for Ammo. All except one looking for 9. Other guy was lucky and in to weird stuff and he got some 40S&W for his trouble.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Years ago, I used to shop for "stuff" at gun shows, and bought a shotgun at one, plus ammo and accessories. I haven't been to a show in a few years, but the last one i attended, I thought the prices for just about everything were way too high...$100 to $300 more for rifles, $100 more for handguns and, as for ammo, forget about it, in comparison to on-line sellers, even after rolling in the FFL fees. After encountering this at a few shows, I simply stopped attending.

I won’t go during the pandemic. But IMHO Good place to find oddball stuff. Nicer out of state too. But sometimes you find deals on something someone is trying to unload or doesn’t know much about.

If you are looking for commodity stuff and new stuff, never seen a gun show approach online prices. Even with transfer fees and shipping factored in.

But sometimes reloading stuff can be similar prices or a little cheaper. Especially with stuff where you’d need to factor in hazmat shipping.

Sometimes C&R/used stuff can be a real and nice to handle and out eyeballs on something so you know exactly what you are getting.

I wouldn’t drive hours out of my way, but good way to spend a morning.

viiper

Re-Member
    Dec 3, 2008
    Carroll County
    Usually online for me. Sometimes gun shows towards the end, but that was precovid. I always have my go/no-go number and will simply not buy if its above what I decided before shopping.

Good luck.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Building that post counts..
    A Total post count as of right now 17,but you have posted 10 just in the last few minutes!
    Member since 2008...

Not the first, goes on everyday. There's guys out there creating multiple new threads everyday and a few are actually about guns, ammo and shooting instead of politics, their gallbladder/hemorrhoids or a rehash of what's on the news

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Or we could let the forum die off and all migrate to FB ?

Not the first, goes on everyday. There's guys out there creating multiple new threads everyday and a few are actually about guns, ammo and shooting instead of politics, their gallbladder/hemorrhoids or a rehash of what's on the news

viiper

Re-Member
    Dec 3, 2008
    Carroll County
    Building that post counts..
    A Total post count as of right now 17,but you have posted 10 just in the last few minutes!
    Member since 2008...

Yep, I'm looking to participate more, but it seems you have been trolling me for some reason, and I remember why it then becomes unenjoyable to contribute when someone decides to follow you around. I have not done anything to you, and I am posting my own legitimate content, adding picture, suggestions, experience specific to shooting in Maryland. I read the forum rules, and do not think I am doing anything wrong. So please tell me what I am doing wrong here?

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    If things were somewhat normal if there is such a thing anymore I buy from both. I used to buy bulk from online only for the spam cans of stuff like 5.56, 223, 7.62x39, 7.62x51 and others like 8x57, 7.62x25 etc... Also would get daily sales online for ammo like Sellier & Bellot and the blue box PPU ammo for my military surplus rifles. Usually under $20 a box. I see the same stuff at shows always but over $20 a box. I will only buy from individuals getting rid of various oddball stuff at shows.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Yep, I'm looking to participate more, but it seems you have been trolling me for some reason, and I remember why it then becomes unenjoyable to contribute when someone decides to follow you around. I have not done anything to you, and I am posting my own legitimate content, adding picture, suggestions, experience specific to shooting in Maryland. I read the forum rules, and do not think I am doing anything wrong. So please tell me what I am doing wrong here?

Nothing at all. Some here have nothing better to do than to bug people. Ignore them and hopefully they'll move on. Thanks for posting what you have posted and please continue to do so.

Fawnflunky

Jan 27, 2021
    I haven't bought any ammo for almost 2 years and apparently have been living under a rock because I was floored by the current prices! I'm glad I loaded up when I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom