• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swerve123

Apr 14, 2021
    I have a pre ban AR 15. Can I give it to another Maryland resident thru an FFL.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Yes, as long as it is not banned.

It would need to be hbar or a caliber other than .223/5.56
    Also not a copycat

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If " Pre Ban " , you mean a pre 2013 AR- 15 with standard profile bbl in .223/ 5.56 , then NO , you can't transfer it . You Can bequeath it to them in your Will , but you would have to actually Die first .

Kendall9mm

Jul 3, 2017
    I plan on buying my brother's AR-15, would he get in trouble? Or both of us would get in trouble by owning and selling a AR-15? My brother is out of state.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I plan on buying my brother's AR-15, would he get in trouble? Or both of us would get in trouble by owning and selling a AR-15? My brother is out of state.

Just turn yourself in bud.

But in seriousness, no matter if he is in or out of state it MUST be transferred through an FFL. This is a recent change in law but it's what must be followed.

If it is an HBAR / Heavy Barrel variant it is deemed a long gun and is not banned and it can be transferred (via FFL) to you. If it is anything but a Heavy Barrel, it is banned in Maryland and you may not possess it or bring it into Maryland (same goes for your brother). This only applies to AR pattern rifles in 5.56 / .223

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

If you are planning on bringing it into Merryland, it will have to have a "Heavy Barrel" if it is a .223/5.56 caliber. All other calibers are fine. As for going through an FFL, I'm not positive of that answer.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It is a Smith & Wesson AR-15 5.56. So I have to go through an FFL. It will NOT go through.

You can buy the lower and the upper separately. You just can not 'marry' the two pieces together in Md.

The upper would be cash and carry...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

But in seriousness, no matter if he is in or out of state it MUST be transferred through an FFL. This is a recent change in law but it's what must be followed.

If it is an HBAR / Heavy Barrel variant it is deemed a long gun and is not banned and it can be transferred (via FFL) to you. If it is anything but a Heavy Barrel, it is banned in Maryland and you may not possess it or bring it into Maryland (same goes for your brother). This only applies to AR pattern rifles in 5.56 / .223

NO!

Transfer among family are excepted from the new long gun transfer bill. However, he'd have to be a Maryland state resident, otherwise it would fall afoul of federal law.

Lastly it would need to be an HBAR/heavy barreled or non-223/5.56 caliber. Otherwise it is banned and it may not be transferred to another Maryland resident (except by death, through a will or immediate next of kin if no will. Which gets sticky as the immediate next of kin probably can't just give it to someone else then if they don't want it).

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

This has been FEDERAL law since 1968, if the transfer is between residents of two different states.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    If you are planning on bringing it into Merryland, it will have to have a "Heavy Barrel" if it is a .223/5.56 caliber. All other calibers are fine. As for going through an FFL, I'm not positive of that answer.

Interstate transfers are required by FEDERAL law to go through an FFL in either state and be legal to own in both states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom