• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1918A2

Apr 12, 2009
    Hey fellas, it’s been awhile. Moved to Georgia in 2014 after having lived in Maryland for the first 30 years of my life.

So here’s the question:

If I wanted to transfer a handgun to a relative who lives in MD, I know we’d have to use a MD FFL. Now would my only option be to ship it to that FFL either from me (if the MD FFL accepts transfers from individuals) or a GA FFL? I still visit MD often enough. Could myself and a MD resident walk into a MD FFL with a handgun I brought with me from GA and do the transfer that way? I realize MSP or the like probably aren’t crazy about me bringing a handgun with me from out of state. If they knew. But I’m not staying. Mostly want to make sure my relative is on the right side of MD law hare.

Any input is appreciated. It’s all so ridiculous, and the requirement to jump through these hoops solves nothing. It only makes things difficult for people who care to do the legal thing in the first place. Thanks, and keep fighting the good fight!

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I believe either way would work. You'll have to verify with the transfering FFL will accept a shipment or direct delivery from a non-FFL. Some of them can be funny about what they will do

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Was the handgun bought in Maryland or bought in Georgia? If bought in Georgia I believe it needs to be on the Md MSP “Approved” list to be transferred to a Maryland resident. If a semiautomatic then cannot have over a 10 round magazine. Does your relative in Maryland have a HQL? That’s a whole other can of worms.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Your relative needs an Handgun Qualification License in Maryland. Ask the FFL you think you’d use. Can hand deliver or ship through an FFL is almost always fine with the FFL. You shipping to the FFL direct light not be okay with the FFL doing the transfer.

The handgun is going to need to be on the MD handgun rooster (if newer than 1985. Just search MSP handgun rooster and search. It might be under a derivative name of the manufacturer).

Lastly your relative won’t be waking out with it that day. If the do have an HQL, you’ll go to the FFL, fill out the 4473 and 77r (Maryland form). 77r is usually done in advance and is electronic. Give the FFL the PIN from the electronic 77r. Then they’ll wait 7 days (plus any Maryland holidays), get a “not disapproved” email and they can pick it up. Oh pay the FFL transfer fee and the $10 MSP background check fee.

But hey, everyone knows your relative isn’t a criminal now and they only are out a bunch of extra money and 7 days of waiting to get the gift from you.

I hope my sarcasm is showing through.

Dan1918A2

Apr 12, 2009
    Thank you all. The gun in question is a 1970s production S&W 586, so it’s on the MD roster and won’t have mags. And he does have his HQL.

I guess when the time comes, we’ll select an FFL and make sure they’re alright with me hand delivering it, then let MD paperwork, wait, and fees go from there.

Dan1918A2

Apr 12, 2009
    Your relative needs an Handgun Qualification License in Maryland. Ask the FFL you think you’d use. Can hand deliver or ship through an FFL is almost always fine with the FFL. You shipping to the FFL direct light not be okay with the FFL doing the transfer.

The handgun is going to need to be on the MD handgun rooster (if newer than 1985. Just search MSP handgun rooster and search. It might be under a derivative name of the manufacturer).

Lastly your relative won’t be waking out with it that day. If the do have an HQL, you’ll go to the FFL, fill out the 4473 and 77r (Maryland form). 77r is usually done in advance and is electronic. Give the FFL the PIN from the electronic 77r. Then they’ll wait 7 days (plus any Maryland holidays), get a “not disapproved” email and they can pick it up. Oh pay the FFL transfer fee and the $10 MSP background check fee.

But hey, everyone knows your relative isn’t a criminal now and they only are out a bunch of extra money and 7 days of waiting to get the gift from you.

I hope my sarcasm is showing through.

Ha, I read your sarcasm loud and clear. It’s a good thing all the people in Baltimore who are actually responsible for all the crime are subjected to the same stringent, thorough regulation and checks. I feel safer! Yeah, it’s ridiculous.

It’s nice to know that if I ever moved back to MD, I wouldn’t be legally able to bring 10 of my rifles back with me, 8 of which were purchased in Maryland prior to 10/2013. Shame what the liberals did to such a beautiful state. They’re a cancer.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    A few years back a friend, who lives in Florida, brought one up and we did the transfer at Clyde's. Perfectly legal.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Most FFL will accept firearms for transfer face to face over the counter ( but still verify) .

If you personally and continously owned such now Banned Rifles since before October 2013 , you Could move in state with them , but they would need to be Registered in the same manner as handguns you move in state with .

Dan1918A2

Apr 12, 2009
    Most FFL will accept firearms for transfer face to face over the counter ( but still verify) .

If you personally and continously owned such now Banned Rifles since before October 2013 , you Could move in state with them , but they would need to be Registered in the same manner as handguns you move in state with .

Wow, did not know that. I thought that went for handguns only, and they would no longer register any new “regulated” long guns.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Wow, did not know that. I thought that went for handguns only, and they would no longer register any new “regulated” long guns.

Nope. Have to register them. And I am pretty darned sure they would go after you if you had an unregistered regulated long gun after moving in to the state and they “caught you” for any reason (traffic stop, whatever).

Upside to never leaving the state. Don’t have to register your stuff. Downside to never leaving the state. Well you have to live here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom