• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    I took the right class at the end of March. I got all the paperwork and photos and fingerprints etc. etc. I have paid all the application fees.

I applied for a DC permit on April 14, 2021. No response yet and no return phone calls in the last couple of days.

I just applied (as a business owner) for the MD permit and I just mailed the application for the VA permit.

Does anyone have a good idea about time frames for processing these applications and getting a permit?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Was told the VA NR permits were running 6 months due to covid. This was for a renewal.
    No idea on the others

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    The state of Maryland takes its good old time IMHO it can be a new permit or renewal and the time is the same . They really are the pits .

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    Even with a DC permit, is still be hesitant to carry in DC. The list is a mile long for all the places you can't carry... Seems like they conceded the good and substantial and still effectively banned ccws...

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Even with a DC permit, is still be hesitant to carry in DC. The list is a mile long for all the places you can't carry... Seems like they conceded the good and substantial and still effectively banned ccws...

It's all the Federal property making it a virtual minefield outside of residential areas.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    It's all the Federal property making it a virtual minefield outside of residential areas.

Especially the fed buildings that are not marked in any way. How the hell is someone supposed to know that some IC has this building when it looks like any regular office building. Hell, that agency wont tell you.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Concealed means concealed.

If you're concerned about unmarked govt buildings, avoid going into buildings with metal detectors at the door.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Was told the VA NR permits were running 6 months due to covid. This was for a renewal.
    No idea on the others

Update. I got a letter today from the VSP saying my check was cashed 15 July.
    I requested the NR renewal packet 10 March. It was sent off with in a week. SO about 4 months to get a receipt. The letter stated 2 to 3 months.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Update. I got a letter today from the VSP saying my check was cashed 15 July.
    I requested the NR renewal packet 10 March. It was sent off with in a week. SO about 4 months to get a receipt. The letter stated 2 to 3 months.

Got the new VA NR permit today. Issue date 7/20.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    Concealed means concealed.

If you're concerned about unmarked govt buildings, avoid going into buildings with metal detectors at the door.

I just avoid DC as much as possible, ha. And I understand concealed is concealed. However, I prefer to remain within the law while carrying and the list includes several class of buildings, areas, gatherings, the Mall, places where alcohol is served etc. If I do have to go to DC, at least one of those items is usually on the list. Therefore, it remains essentially a ban on carrying.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I just avoid DC as much as possible, ha. And I understand concealed is concealed. However, I prefer to remain within the law while carrying and the list includes several class of buildings, areas, gatherings, the Mall, places where alcohol is served etc. If I do have to go to DC, at least one of those items is usually on the list. Therefore, it remains essentially a ban on carrying.

Incorrect.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    Incorrect.

Ok just looked it up. The list on DCs site definitely says premises where alcohol is served, sold or consumed, but the Mall caveat is "public memorials" and any other place that's federally restricted. I do not see a definition of the defined area or distance that a public memorial would be considered to still be a public memorial. ie 50ft from a statue.

https://mpdc.dc.gov/node/1286886

I could be misinterpreting this though. Seems like you need a lawyer just to tell you the rules these days.

Again, I'd just rather avoid DC all together.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    DC makes a legal (carrying-wise) distinction between restaurants (which serve alcohol and might very well have a bar), and “taverns,” which might look exactly the same but have a single subtle zoning difference displayed only in the code on their posted liquor license. You have to know what to look for, but that’s the difference between carrying next to a guy drinking a beer and carrying next to a guy drinking a beer and being in legal jeopardy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom