Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Air Guns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old July 19th, 2021, 03:40 PM #1
American Patriot

American Patriot

Hawke Airmax 3-9x40AO report

I just bought this scope for my Gamo Wisper Wildcat since it ate two other airgun scopes. I had a Winchester 2-7x32AO and a CenterPoint 3-9 X32, both of which were airgun scopes and have been used on other break barrel rifles. The Winchester lasted about 1000 rounds but the CenterPoint only made it about 300 before not working anymore.

I did some digging and found out that the Wildcat is a magnum power air rifle. (who knew ) So I started looking at scopes but really didn't want to spend almost twice the rifles value. After I figured out I had no choice if I didn't want to keep buying scopes, I decided to buy this scope as it is rated for all calibers of break barrel made and it is light enough that I can use it offhand. I got it from Midway for $210.

Considering it is relatively inexpensive, this is a really nice scope. It is super clear and the objective ranges are spot on. The AMX reticle is kind of busy for a guy my age (we usually like cross hairs and that's it) but is is nice and fine which I like. The lines are so fine, I was shooting at carpenter ants walking on the base of my backstop at 25 yards. I hit three out of 10 which I think is awesome.

I just finished putting a hundred rounds through the rifle and it is back to one ragged .22 size hole at 25 yards rather than the 1 inch groups I was getting with the last scope (plus the windage stopped working). I highly recommend it if you own a hard shooting springer.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2021, 07:26 AM #2

Good report. I have several Hawke scopes. Haven't had any trouble with any of them. Glad they are keeping up the good work.
V
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2021, 02:17 PM #3

Good to know...thank you for the review. Good timing, as I've been reviewing/researching a .30 cal nitro piston....

Sent from my Armor 8 using Tapatalk
shootnfishndorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2021, 11:26 AM #4
American Patriot

American Patriot

UPDATE. Scope has made it through 500 rounds with no sweat. Since shooting with it a while, there is something I want to comment on and that is the recticle. The reticle is very thin and does well if you are shooting at paper targets. If you are shooting at something else, there needs to be a good contrast or the reticle is hard to see. For instance, shooting a crow in a tree at 30 yards is pretty hard. This scope would be great if the reticle was illuminated.

It works good for me as I am mostly shooting targets with it and it excels at that.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.

Proud Patriot Picket
Old August 29th, 2021, 01:07 PM #5
American Patriot

American Patriot

Update.

Scope died today. I am at the almost 1200 mark and, just after a shot, I reloaded and looked through the scope and it was blurred. Nothing I could do would clear it up. Additionally, I cannot turn the power ring past 8X now. I assume something broke inside but when I shake it, I don't hear anything.

The 'net says Hawke has a good warranty so I sent them off an email and packed up the scope. Damn, I like this rifle, as it is cheap to practice with and is very accurate. It sure does eat scopes though.

(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.

Proud Patriot Picket

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Air Guns