• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    I was thinking about building an AK parts kit into a semi-auto..is it legal in Maryland and do I have to have it registered? I am going to bend my own receiver and keep the gun for myself not sell or trade it. Thanks for any help!

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Pretty sure you're good-to-go. I think at some point a mostly-complete receiver becomes an actual firearm that would need to be transferred through an FFL. If you're building it from mostly scratch I don't think there's anything stopping you until/unless you transfer it.

I guess that's not very informative, really. Others will be along shortly with much better info, I'm sure.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    So long as you are legally allowed to own a regulated firearm in MD, you may build it yourself. Technically by law you are not required to 'register' it. However, if you ever got in any trouble they may deem it an unregistered firearm. Just make sure you follow the laws of making it a legit 922R compliant semi auto, throw away any full auto parts, and you should be fine.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I was thinking about building an AK parts kit into a semi-auto..is it legal in Maryland and do I have to have it registered? I am going to bend my own receiver and keep the gun for myself not sell or trade it. Thanks for any help!

1. Yes, it is legal to build your own AK in Maryland.
    2. No, You do not have to register it.
    3. You do not have to put ANY markings on it what-so-ever.*
    4. You may not sell or transfer it UNLESS it is marked per federal law, and even then, that is a gray area.
    5. You are still subject to GCA (including 18 USC 922(r)) and the NFA (26 USC 5845) <- If you don't know these laws you should before you build.
    6. No Machine Guns (without an FFL07/SOT), No SBR/AOW (without an approved Form 1) and No Supressors (without an approved Form 1).

So that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Keep it legal and make sure you have the proper number of imported parts (10 or less from the list of 20 possible.)

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

Good luck and happy building.

To answer the question above, about the process, it's a fairly involved but fairly straight forward process. It all depends on how much effort you want to invest in building an AK. The fastest and dirtiest build took me under 2 hours. I welded it all up and it was ready to go in short order. That's "cheating." Some good places for kits are Military Gun Supply, Copes Distributing, Apex Gun Parts, and Centerfire Systems... and not in that order.

If you can find an AK with the original barrel, that is the kit I would go for first.

* -UNLESS YOU ARE BUILDING A SBR/AOW or are a Federal Firearms Licensee.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    What MarkP said.

While you aren't required to put any identifying marks on it the receiver, I'd still do it in the event it gets stolen or you plan to sell it one day.

Highly recommend buying a Nodak receiver and using that for your first build. Rolling your own isn't hard, but it does require a whole lot more time and specialized equipment. A Nodak will be fully heat treated (nearly impossible to do at home) and easily sold as it's already been serialized at the factory.

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    The receiver is probably the hardest part of a build to get right. Getting the bends right, getting the holes drilled straight and in the correct locations, positioning and attaching the rails, and properly hardening the receiver after all that machining pose the greatest challenges. As Rob-Cubed posted, a Nodak Spud receiver is a great way to go. I bought one for my AMD-65 build and it turned out perfectly. IMHO, Nodak Spud makes the best receivers in the country right now. The downside is that you have to treat the receiver purchase as a regulated firearm purchase.
    There are a number of surplus dealers that sell parts kits, including Apex Gun Parts https://www.apexgunparts.com/index.php/cPath/51
    Good luck with the build!

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    The receiver is probably the hardest part of a build to get right. Getting the bends right, getting the holes drilled straight and in the correct locations, positioning and attaching the rails, and properly hardening the receiver after all that machining pose the greatest challenges. As Rob-Cubed posted, a Nodak Spud receiver is a great way to go. I bought one for my AMD-65 build and it turned out perfectly. IMHO, Nodak Spud makes the best receivers in the country right now. The downside is that you have to treat the receiver purchase as a regulated firearm purchase.
    There are a number of surplus dealers that sell parts kits, including Apex Gun Parts https://www.apexgunparts.com/index.php/cPath/51
    Good luck with the build!

The Nodak Spuds are excellent choices. For the price, unless you already have all the required tooling, you can't build the receiver for what you would spend on the NDS. I also build receivers and can serial number them to your kit. I prefer to build on the NDS, not because it is any better then mine, but because it saves a lot of time and work.

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    THANKS FOR THE HELP, A FRIEND HAS THE BENDER AND RIVET TOOL I GOT A ROMNE G KIT WITH BARREL STILL ATTACH AND ALL MATCHING # SO HEAD SPACE WILL BE GOOD .

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    THANKS FOR THE HELP, A FRIEND HAS THE BENDER AND RIVET TOOL I GOT A ROMNE G KIT WITH BARREL STILL ATTACH AND ALL MATCHING # SO HEAD SPACE WILL BE GOOD .

Don't ASSUME that head space is good, borrow some gauges and check!

Mark

semper000

Mar 24, 2009
    Anyone have pics of one they have actually made? I'd be interested in how this turned out.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    4. You may not sell or transfer it UNLESS it is marked per federal law, and even then, that
    is a gray area.

What do you mean by that? My buddy wants to get into building and selling them, if this is a serious legal issue I would like to know before something happens with him

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Anyone have pics of one they have actually made? I'd be interested in how this turned out.

Here is a picture of an AK-74 I built. (922r compliant.)

It came out fine. Shoots decent.

Mark

Attachments

• DSCN0831.jpg
      DSCN0831.jpg
      21.7 KB · Views: 1,264

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    4. You may not sell or transfer it UNLESS it is marked per federal law, and even then, that
    is a gray area.

What do you mean by that? My buddy wants to get into building and selling them, if this is a serious legal issue I would like to know before something happens with him

Without the appropriate permits and ATF licenses you will end up in prison.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    To build and sell for profit you need a manufacturer's license. It is a serious felony to try to circumvent this law.

It is legal to build as many as you want for personal use. It is also legal to transfer a home-built gun at a later date if the receiver is properly marked, and as long as you didn't build with the intent to sell. However, home builders that want to thin the herd will typically demill and sell as parts, it's just not worth the risk of BATF scrutiny of your "intent".

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

He better have an FFL02 license and a good lawyer to help him from butt raping himself. If he is NOT a federal firearms licensee who is a licensed manufacturer (FFL02) he's looking for a bunch of trouble... stop him before he sells any.

Mark

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    So long as you are legally allowed to own a regulated firearm in MD, you may build it yourself. Technically by law you are not required to 'register' it. However, if you ever got in any trouble they may deem it an unregistered firearm. Just make sure you follow the laws of making it a legit 922R compliant semi auto, throw away any full auto parts, and you should be fine.

Um - so what statute would they charge you under, since the MSP forms all say "voluntary."

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Wow, thanks guys, he was actually about to order the recievers soon, and he's not licensed, thanks guys. And no, I'm not just saying, "my friend," so you guys don't think I'm retarded, I actually do have a buddy that wants to do that. Thanks guys!

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Well, he already ordered one receiver, but I told him, and he decided to just build one for himself, but he had two kits already, so he just gave one to me, I'm only 20, so I can't order a receiver until november anyway, I think he said it's a bulgarian from apex? Anyone wanna buy it? Don't have enough posts to put in classifieds... PM me if interested

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom