Cheaper Than Dirt doesn't ship to Maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Jealousy is a bitter pill to swallow. :sad20:

I'm sorry that you feel the need to insult me because we have a difference of opinion. The bottom line is, I haven't done anything that anyone here couldn't do if they wanted to. I did not come from a privileged background. I am a 3rd generation American who did EXACTLY what my grandparents came to this Country for. These opportunities are open to everyone. What I have is because of my own hard work.

That's so different than the folks who built Cheaper Than Dirt from the Ground up.

SB281 Blaster

Feb 4, 2014
    Queenstown
    Again, there is a world of difference between making a profit in a retail business and gouging. If you aren't able to see the difference I'm sorry. Our IP's here did their best to get as much as they could out to their customers at a reasonable price. Business is much more than making a profit on the widgit you sell. More importantly, it is about building a relationship with a customer who will keep coming back and be a steady source of income. It is about providing a product or service at a fair price with an easy transaction. It is not about screwing people because you can.

What we are talking about here is supply and demand, price balances the two. A small retail gun business must sell a lot of guns each month before they can break even and cover rent, utilities, insurance, licenses, bookkeeping, and so on. All this has to be paid before the owner even gets what is left over if anything. And if there is anything left over, 15% goes to Fed taxes, 15% goes to Social Security, 8% to State taxes, if your smart 5% to retirement/savings. And people ask why everyone in my family drives 20 year old cars with 200000 plus miles on them. It's because of trying to compete with high volume internet sellers that are killing small store front business all across this country. And that is because of their prices being too LOW, not HIGH. It cuts both ways. So everyone tell me where every gun owner should take their business? To your local FFL where you can allow him to make a little something on his hardware that he buys, stores, insures, and presents to you his valued and loyal customer.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    What we are talking about here is supply and demand, price balances the two. A small retail gun business must sell a lot of guns each month before they can break even and cover rent, utilities, insurance, licenses, bookkeeping, and so on. All this has to be paid before the owner even gets what is left over if anything. And if there is anything left over, 15% goes to Fed taxes, 15% goes to Social Security, 8% to State taxes, if your smart 5% to retirement/savings. And people ask why everyone in my family drives 20 year old cars with 200000 plus miles on them. It's because of trying to compete with high volume internet sellers that are killing small store front business all across this country. And that is because of their prices being too LOW, not HIGH. It cuts both ways. So everyone tell me where every gun owner should take their business? To your local FFL where you can allow him to make a little something on his hardware that he buys, stores, insures, and presents to you his valued and loyal customer.
    I am intimately familiar with bottom lines, supply and demand and what a business owner must pay out before he sees a dime. This has nothing to do with capitalism. When someone is selling a $1200 rifle for $4800 there is a problem. When my LGS can sell that same rifle for $1200, it accentuates that problem. I have no issues with capitalism. It has been very good to me. I have no issues with setting a price as high as you want to. You should have no issues with me not ever patronizing your business again (CTD) because I despise that rather than choosing to simply make a profit, you chose to fleece people in the midst of panic buying. If you are OK with what CTD did last year, by all means continue shopping there. I won't.

That's so different than the folks who built Cheaper Than Dirt from the Ground up.

They did, and deserve every success they have had. I also feel that if they choose to engage in slimy business practices that they deserve to lose the customers they have lost. It's capitalism. I can take my money elsewhere. I provide a good service at the market rate. I am not charging people 4 times what other people are. I see a difference.

sunset1

Mar 23, 2012
    Again, there is a world of difference between making a profit in a retail business and gouging. If you aren't able to see the difference I'm sorry. Our IP's here did their best to get as much as they could out to their customers at a reasonable price. Business is much more than making a profit on the widgit you sell. More importantly, it is about building a relationship with a customer who will keep coming back and be a steady source of income. It is about providing a product or service at a fair price with an easy transaction. It is not about screwing people because you can.

Agree.

SB281 Blaster

Feb 4, 2014
    Queenstown
    I am intimately familiar with bottom lines, supply and demand and what a business owner must pay out before he sees a dime. This has nothing to do with capitalism. When someone is selling a $1200 rifle for $4800 there is a problem. When my LGS can sell that same rifle for $1200, it accentuates that problem. I have no issues with capitalism. It has been very good to me. I have no issues with setting a price as high as you want to. You should have no issues with me not ever patronizing your business again (CTD) because I despise that rather than choosing to simply make a profit, you chose to fleece people in the midst of panic buying. If you are OK with what CTD did last year, by all means continue shopping there. I won't.

They did, and deserve every success they have had. I also feel that if they choose to engage in slimy business practices that they deserve to lose the customers they have lost. It's capitalism. I can take my money elsewhere. I provide a good service at the market rate. I am not charging people 4 times what other people are. I see a difference.

We are on the same page. Some people don't like internet sellers for being too high, others like me, for being to low. I didn't mean to imply you did not already know how a small business runs. Small storefront businesses are just getting crushed in this country, and I didn't even mention $18000/year for so called mandatory "Affordable Healthcare" insurance for the family.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I am still conflicted about doing business with CTD. I refused to pay the prices they charged during the panic. I didn’t “need” anything at the time to justify the cost, and was willing save money by waiting for the panic to subside at the risk that things I wanted may have been banned.

If I “needed” P-MAGs or something else right away and COULD NOT WAIT, CTD was one of the few places with some inventory to sell. Only a very few others were even taking backorders with unknown delivery dates. In short, CTD provided some liquidity in the market. I didn’t need what they were selling badly enough to justify the price, so I waited. If I needed something right away, I could get it. If CTD kept their pre-panic prices, they would have been out of stock like everyone else. That is a market collapse…unless you run to the auction sites.

Someone I DO have a problem with is an AR lower manufacturer that, IIRC, had a contract to deliver lowers to one of CTD’s retail competitors. The retailer had lowers on backorder that were sold to customers at pre-panic prices, and was waiting for the shipment from the manufacturer. The manufacturer cancelled the shipment to the retailer, and instead sold the lowers direct to consumers at greatly inflated panic prices. The manufacturer had a contract and pulled the rug out from under everyone in order to cash in. THAT is dirty pool.

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    We are on the same page. Some people don't like internet sellers for being too high, others like me, for being to low. I didn't mean to imply you did not already know how a small business runs. Small storefront businesses are just getting crushed in this country, and I didn't even mention $18000/year for so called mandatory "Affordable Healthcare" insurance for the family.

It's sad that the "mom and pop" stores are being overshadowed by the internet companies. The idea of having a relationship with a local merchant is becoming a thing of the past. I patronize several gun shops. I don't buy a lot, but when I do I try to buy locally. I would much rather see them make a buck than a huge internet company. I also like to be able to get opinions on various products from someone I know and trust. That alone is with a few extra bucks.

SB281 Blaster

Feb 4, 2014
    Queenstown
    It's sad that the "mom and pop" stores are being overshadowed by the internet companies. The idea of having a relationship with a local merchant is becoming a thing of the past. I patronize several gun shops. I don't buy a lot, but when I do I try to buy locally. I would much rather see them make a buck than a huge internet company. I also like to be able to get opinions on various products from someone I know and trust. That alone is with a few extra bucks.

Thank you, we should all try to do that in as many different ways as we can in our communites. It ties us all together as we support one another. Thank you.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    No prob, I'll put ShaddyDan on ignore.

You may want to consider putting Teratos on ignore because you can't seem to refrain from engaging him and slipping into personal attacks. I won't play semantics, you know what I'm referring to.
    Last warning.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I see one of my comments was deleted. I'll give up this conversation before I get into more trouble.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Can you give me an example of a personal attack? I agree that I was in the wrong on calling out ShaddyDan. I've been professional with Teratos.

See my comment about semantics as I knew you would reply with this. The only appropriate response is "OK."
    I've spent enough time cleaning up this thread.
    You decide how it plays out from here.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown

Not to challenge or be argumentive, but what is a reasonable amount to pay up to support the LGS? 10%, 15%, 25% more? As I eluded to before, the LGS closest to me was charging 40% to 50% more than online stores for firearms. That's way more than I'm willing to pay to keep this guy in business. (This store also marked up ammo by 100% over Walmart--as a matter of fact, I think Walmart was their source. $80 for 100-round value pack of .45 cal WWB.)

Easy CZ

Feb 7, 2014
    Oklahoma
    CTD can kiss my arse. I don't care if they ship to my state or not, I'm NEVER buying anything from those ass clowns ever again.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Not to challenge or be argumentive, but what is a reasonable amount to pay up to support the LGS? 10%, 15%, 25% more? As I eluded to before, the LGS closest to me was charging 40% to 50% more than online stores for firearms. That's way more than I'm willing to pay to keep this guy in business. (This store also marked up ammo by 100% over Walmart-aas a matter of fact, I think Walmart was their source. $80 for 100-round value pack of .45 cal WWB.)

I'm certainly not out to spend more than I have to, either. My experience has been that once you pay for shipping and the transfer, you are not saving a ton over LGS prices. I rarely buy ammo at small gun shops because the mark-up tends to be substantial. 40-50% higher.....it's time to find a new gun shop.

SB281 Blaster

Feb 4, 2014
    Queenstown
    I'm certainly not out to spend more than I have to, either. My experience has been that once you pay for shipping and the transfer, you are not saving a ton over LGS prices. I rarely buy ammo at small gun shops because the mark-up tends to be substantial. 40-50% higher.....it's time to find a new gun shop.

The last Sub2000 40cal that went out of here, I switched out the mag to a 10 rounder and I gave to guy a box of 50 JHP. Most small shops just keep enough ammo around so a customer can shoot his new gun, or needs a quick box in a pinch. Asking prices that are too high is embarrassing to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom