Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    I reloaded according to IMR’s website (actually Hogdon) as follows:

Bullet: 9mm 124 gr Berry’s FMJ
    5.3-5.6 gr IMR 800-X powder
    CCI 500 primer
    1.15” COL

It shoots great. Because it’s flake powder, the powder throws from my Lee Auto Disk tend to be somewhat inconsistent. However, they are within the safe range of 5.2-5.7 gr.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I don't mean to be a turd in the punch bowl, But if I owned a powder measure that varied up to 10% of my load I would either send it back to the manufacture or toss it in the trash.
    At 10% that could easily be the difference in small pistol or rifle cases from no pressure to blowing out primer pockets..

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    I use a Lee turret press with the powder Auto Disk. I got the Micrometer Adjustable Charge Bar that lets me dial in the amount of powder instead of using the discrete disks. Because the powder is flake, the amount of throw varies a little more than with spherical/ball powder. Still, it's within the safe range if you target 5.3 or 5.4 gr.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    I don't mean to be a turd in the punch bowl, But if I owned a powder measure that varied up to 10% of my load I would either send it back to the manufacture or toss it in the trash.
    At 10% that could easily be the difference in small pistol or rifle cases from no pressure to blowing out primer pockets..

It doesn't vary 10%. It will vary .1 or .2 gr with the target being 5.4 gr. It's more like a 2% to 4% variance. The safe spread is from 5.2 gr (starting) to 5.7 gr (max load).

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I reloaded according to IMR’s website (actually Hogdon) as follows:

Bullet: 9mm 124 gr Berry’s FMJ
    5.3-5.6 gr IMR 800-X powder
    CCI 500 primer
    1.15” COL

It shoots great. Because it’s flake powder, the powder throws from my Lee Auto Disk tend to be somewhat inconsistent. However, they are within the safe range of 5.2-5.7 gr.

If your willing to live with that, It makes me glad I shoot at my own range.
    Good Luck.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    I've loaded a few hundred 9mm rounds with green dot. I was worried it wouldn't throw consistently but it worked great out of my rcbs powder measure. It's extremely dirty compared to other ammo but Ive shot around 400 rounds in one range trip (through two different guns) with no malfunctions.

How dirty is IMR 800-X? Any idea what the flake size is like compared to green dot?

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Travis, 800x And Green Dot powder have a few things in common. They are both Large Cut Flakes, They are both dirty to shoot in most calibers and being large flakes, Unless you have a Good to high end powder measure you will get a unacceptable variance in your amount of thrown powder in most cases. What you do get with 800X is good velocity and accuracy. IMHO there are much better powders to use in 9mm.
    231, Bullseye, #2, #5 or Unique.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    The problem is you take what you can get. Any pistol powder is near impossible to find. I got some bullseye last weekend for $45 a pound. The 800-X was $25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Travis, 800x And Green Dot powder have a few things in common. They are both Large Cut Flakes, They are both dirty to shoot in most calibers and being large flakes, Unless you have a Good to high end powder measure you will get a unacceptable variance in your amount of thrown powder in most cases. What you do get with 800X is good velocity and accuracy. IMHO there are much better powders to use in 9mm.
    231, Bullseye, #2, #5 or Unique.

I'm only using green dot out of desperation, I couldnt get a hold of anything better so I'm looking at other options. My RCBS uniflow throws it very consistently. Very surprised I got green dot to work as well as it does in 9mm.

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have started using it for .45 It is a pain in the ass to measure. I once heard someone say "It meters like corn chips". I would tend to agree, but the accuracy is pretty good and I still have 3lbs of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom