If you don't reload, is now the time to start?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Arguably, reloading does not make a lot of economical sense if you shoot infrequently with the availability and price of ammo (especially 9mm) falling like it has over the last year. Supply has caught up with demand and it appears the panic of 2013 is over. But, it’s not the price of ammo that you should be worried about—it’s the availability.

With Justice Scalia’s untimely death and the uncertainty if Obama is going to be successful in appointing a liberal (read: anti-gun) justice in his place, can we expect a shortage in ammo, guns, and reloading supplies?

If you are a reloader, you will always use the supplies which last for decades if stored properly. If you quit reloading, you can always find a buyer for your stuff (as long as it hasn’t become illegal). So, I don’t think it imprudent to stock up a little.

If you are not into reloading, now may be the time to start. If nothing else, powder and primers are the most at risk. Bullets and equipment will be easier to get. Get powder and primers now, and the rest later. If nothing comes of it over the next year, sell of trade it for other stuff.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can stockpile ammo or components.

When the next mad rush happens, both will be in short supply again.

If you don't shoot that much, stock up on ammo.

If you shoot a lot, reloading makes sense, and stock up on components.

If you are REALLY concerned, start casting.

And think about calibers that started as black powder. You can make your own black powder. :D

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    There's nothing wrong with learning a new skill, especially if it will be in demand if certain things happen in the future. I'm just getting into it, & I see it as insurance.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Unless both the House and the Senate flip, there's no serious risk of any ammunition shortage issues. People need to stop over-reacting to every bit of adverse news.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    From a stand point of stockpiling, it makes more sense to buy and store fixed ammo in this state.

Here you can't store more than 5 lbs of smokeless powder per person in a single family residence without a license. And other places generally follow the NFPA rules that limit you to 20 lbs.

Powder becomes scarce during shortages too so you aren't going to find a lot of it. You'll end up with a bunch of components and nothing to put in them.

I wouldn't trust the stupid party not to cave to pressure to let OKP make another disastrous SCOTUS appointment.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    My family always reloaded. I didn't since I was moving all the time and it wasn't an option.

I'm getting into it now and will say (may not be popular) that unless you have a lot of patience, time, and someone to help you out along the way most people are much better off buying ammo. Can spend $1000 quick on reloading stuff and you may produce poor or dangerous ammo.

It is another hobby/knowledge area all onto itself. If you go into it understanding that you will be fine. If you think it's Leggos and things go together as you like it may go badly.

Venting some frustration since my day has NOT going well at the reloading bench.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Depending on caliber and load a pound of the appropriate powder can load about 280 .223 rifle rounds and about 1400 9mm pistol rounds. A pound contains 7,000 grains so divide 7,000 by however many grains you use in one cartridge to get the number of rounds. So 5 pounds of powder will load about 11,000 rounds of .380 pistol or 7,000 rounds of .45 ACP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom