• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    While I am an attorney my practice is on the civil law side and not the criminal-law side, so this is not legal advice, just my personal view.

I agree with the others, there is no legal prohibition that I've ever come across regarding suppressors/silencers and home defense. Most likely there is an element of the story that had been left out. It is also possible that the cops were just plain wrong. No offense to our brothers in blue but not every cop is an expert on firearms law.

My only advice (again, this is more personal than legal) is to think about how things might look to a grand jury after an overly aggressive and perhaps anti-gun prosecutor is done portraying you as some kind of nut who was praying that some poor robber would try to steal your TV so you could illegally gun down this mere property-crime perp with your assassin's gun with its evil silencer. You just might get an indictment come your way in what was in fact a case of self defense.

Just something to think about.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If the NFA item is not under the direct control of the legal owner, like the person leaving the NFA item unlocked, there is a case for a charge of constructive possession.

But IANAL

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If the NFA item is not under the direct control of the legal owner, like the person leaving the NFA item unlocked, there is a case for a charge of constructive possession.

But IANAL
    My hunch is this may be the case, it was not properly secured from a potential 'prohibited person' or just plain not properly secured and others in the house were not trustees of the trust (if there was one).

GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    But in Md's Machine Gun statute firing anywhere except shoot range is "being kept for Offensive Purpose" . Don't start about the meaning of offensive vs defemsive. Offensive Purpose is assumed for possesing loaded machine gun' except for specific exemption of shooting range.

I would have thought the below definition of offensive or aggressive would preclude the application of that definition towards keeping it in one's home (similar to how paying a lane rental satisfies rental for business occupancy?).

§ 4-405. Use of machine gun for aggressive purpose said:
    (a) Presumption of offensive or aggressive purpose. -- Possession or use of a machine gun is presumed to be for an offensive or aggressive purpose when:
    (1) the machine gun:
    (i) is on premises not owned or rented for bona fide permanent residence or business occupancy by the person in whose possession the machine gun is found;

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Someone point to one case in the history of NFA where someone was prosecuted for their wife or kids having access to NFA item. Never happened as far as I'm aware.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    While I am an attorney my practice is on the civil law side and not the criminal-law side, so this is not legal advice, just my personal view.

I agree with the others, there is no legal prohibition that I've ever come across regarding suppressors/silencers and home defense. Most likely there is an element of the story that had been left out. It is also possible that the cops were just plain wrong. No offense to our brothers in blue but not every cop is an expert on firearms law.

My only advice (again, this is more personal than legal) is to think about how things might look to a grand jury after an overly aggressive and perhaps anti-gun prosecutor is done portraying you as some kind of nut who was praying that some poor robber would try to steal your TV so you could illegally gun down this mere property-crime perp with your assassin's gun with its evil silencer. You just might get an indictment come your way in what was in fact a case of self defense.

Just something to think about.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Oh you mean Mosby the Hun (distant cousin of Atilla)

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Someone point to one case in the history of NFA where someone was prosecuted for their wife or kids having access to NFA item. Never happened as far as I'm aware.

+10. Internet law discussions and advice is fraught with boggy men arguments like you point out.

The OP has been answered: No. 4th hand stories of legal action are always / always missing details.

-Jim

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hell, you can legally hunt with suppressed firearms in Md. There's got to be more to that story.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

But IANAL

This is what I was thinking. Individual ownership, but not in safe, so accessible to all people in the house.

Also, MD says SBRs are handguns (except when they are rifles), so with under 16 year old kids, there is that access also.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is what I was thinking. Individual ownership, but not in safe, so accessible to all people in the house.

Also, MD says SBRs are handguns (except when they are rifles), so with under 16 year old kids, there is that access also.

But if he was there at the time of the finding, access by others is legal as long as they aren't prohibited.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It wouldn't be hard to prove based on facts, that others may have had access when he wasn't there either.

very slippery slope iMO.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It wouldn't be hard to prove based on facts, that others may have had access when he wasn't there either.

very slippery slope iMO.

Absolutely, as in, if he had no lockable storage on the premises.:thumbsup:

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Legal or not, IF you shoot someone you will be tried in the PRESS...

This is how the article might read...

"Heavily armed man killed someone in his home"...

The gun had been modified by adding a silencer...

The ammo used was home made with lethal bullet tips...

The shooter is known to hang out on Maryland Gun Blogs & has ties to Right Wing Politics"...

Use A 45acp...

Clutch

Jan 10, 2013
    Severn
    Not everyone in the home is necessarily allowed to have access to NFA items. So, perhaps it could be a failure to secure said NFA item from general (uncontrolled) access/use.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Not everyone in the home is necessarily allowed to have access to NFA items. So, perhaps it could be a failure to secure said NFA item from general (uncontrolled) access/use.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Can you name one example where someone was charged for their close family member having access?

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    People I talked to who have been in the NFA game since the 70s said family member access was never considered a concern until lawyers selling gun trusts started touting it as an advantage to their trusts.

Actually taking NFA items out of the house and using them, totally different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom