• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    My question is, do you really want to be explaining this to a local/state police officer or BATFE agent, while holding a Form 20 with a single location in the state, that is nowhere near where you are and nowhere near any reasonable path from your home state to the location on the form?

I doubt many LEO's would even know to ask for a 5020.20, let alone know that ATF is requesting one for each location you want to possess an NFA item. Lastly, there is no prohibition in NFA regulations requiring you to travel directly to and from address listed on form 5020.20.

If you're that worried about it submit multiple form 5020.20's for each corner of the state, that way your always on the way to one of the locations.:D

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Also, the NFA wasn't passed pursuant to Congress's power to regulate interstate commerce, it was passed pursuant to its taxation power.

The form 5020.20 is as the title indicates "Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain National Firearms Act (ATF Form 5320.20)" requests permission to transport INTERSTATE it does not reference intrAstate transport, nor does The Gun Control Act of 1968 reference anywhere the intrastate movement of NFA items. Section 922 (a) (2) specifically references only "transport in interstate or foreign commerce".

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    I was talking about the 1934 act.

But it makes no difference. If you take an NFA item from State A to State B it is now interstate. If you move it around State B it is still interstate since its orgin was State A.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I was talking about the 1934 act.

But it makes no difference. If you take an NFA item from State A to State B it is now interstate. If you move it around State B it is still interstate since its orgin was State A.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

No, it is not. Form 5020.20 is the form to notify ATF of change of storage location and interstate transport. That can be a permanent or temporary change of storage. It only apply's to crossing state lines. I can permanently move the NFA item from MD to VA by filling out a 5020.20. Are you then saying that now that the NFA item resides permanently in VA I cannot take it anywhere else in VA but the address listed on the 5020.20? No, you can take it anywhere in your home state without having to notify the ATF. The request to move across state lines does not then extend in perpetuity to the future movement of a NFA item intrastate. You can't have it both ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom