What is causing this type of malfunction?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    This is an example of how my malfunction looks. This is NOT my firearm though. I just used this pic as an example. Mine will shoot the round in the chamber, eject it, and ruin the next live round by crushing it like so:

bbshort-1024x768.jpg

Bought new Rock River Arms ATH upper
    18" barrel with "match" chamber
    Supposedly rifle gas system from what the salesman claimed
    A2 stock buffer kit installed
    CMMG lower
    Ammo is usually OTM
    Has happened with various 20 round mags
    Tried swapping a a spec BCM bolt carrier and though it mysteriously did not fail for a full day of shooting, it then failed in the same way on day two in greater numbers.
    I'd say the usual frequency of this malfunction is 1 in 25 rounds.

Besides being a Rock River, would could be causing this? I want to get it fixed.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    ammo, dirty gun, who knows? but THAT gun is dirty. :smoke: from what i see on the outside is a good representation of what is in the inside.

Florida_11B

Jun 10, 2016
    I would say it could be a couple of problems:

Excess accumulation of dirt or fouling in and around the bolt and bolt carrier.

Defective magazines i.e. dented, bulged, or a weak magazine spring.

Improperly loaded magazine. I assume you know how to do this properly
    Exterior accumulation of dirt in the lower receiver extension.

Fouled gas tube resulting in short recoil.

A magazine resting on the ground or pushed forward could cause an improper lock.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    The pic isn't mine, in case anyone missed that. I just used it as an example.

I keep everything clean and lubed. Tried multiple mags.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Bad mag follower will cause this as well a warn mag spring. A warn mag/mag catch. Do all your mags do this? If so, maybe check the mag catch/release. Make sure it is screwed into the mag release button deep enough. If your brass has two gouges at the neck, it could be feed ramps snagging the cartridge as well. Didn't see your "tried multiple mags" part until after I posted.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Its hard to say without seeing the rifle but here are some guesses:

Bad Mags. Number them and see if you can pinpoint a mag/s

Do you have an aluminum gas block?

Bad Feed Ramps. DONT dremel them unless you remove the barrel from the upper. You dont grind the aluminum ramps in the upper.

Rifle Gas with 18" Barrel and an A2 could be undergassed. You can test this by removing the weights in the buffer to see if it improves. Springco also makes a reduced power action spring to troubleshoot.

Same thing can happen with overgassing. Adjustable gas can be the fix for that.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I know the picture is not the O.P.'s Rifle, but there is nothing wring with the condition of the AR, if anything it needs more dirt.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I know the picture is not the O.P.'s Rifle, but there is nothing wring with the condition of the AR, if anything it needs more dirt.

:lol: Bolt looked nice and wet. Just looked like a gun that was run hard that day.:thumbsup:

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I had a rifle(20 inch) that did that. It turned out the gas port in the barrel was drilled too small. I took off the gas block and drilled it with a larger bit and it works great now. I couldn't see what was going on unti I took off the gas block. I tried a lot of thngs before finding the problem.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    I had a rifle(20 inch) that did that. It turned out the gas port in the barrel was drilled too small. I took off the gas block and drilled it with a larger bit and it works great now. I couldn't see what was going on unti I took off the gas block. I tried a lot of thngs before finding the problem.

I believe I had the same condition with one of my AR's, that used corrosive 5.45x39 ammo. I had the "The Devil Himself" - from Duffy's GunRoom, replace my gas tube along with drilling out the gas port.

Mag follower. Maybe even a mag spring meant for 30 rounds jammed into a 20 rounder? Also, with stock buffer..... Are you shooting 223/5.56 or 300blk? Stock buffer for 5.56 is, as I've been told by NRA SROs, is different than 300blk....
    So what caliber/grain are you usually shooting as your "OTM" ammo

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Its hard to say without seeing the rifle but here are some guesses:

Bad Mags. Number them and see if you can pinpoint a mag/s

Do you have an aluminum gas block?

Bad Feed Ramps. DONT dremel them unless you remove the barrel from the upper. You dont grind the aluminum ramps in the upper.

Rifle Gas with 18" Barrel and an A2 could be undergassed. You can test this by removing the weights in the buffer to see if it improves. Springco also makes a reduced power action spring to troubleshoot.

Same thing can happen with overgassing. Adjustable gas can be the fix for that.

This sounds like a good for a gunsmith, eh? I'm not good enough working with firearms to do this stuff myself.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Mag follower. Maybe even a mag spring meant for 30 rounds jammed into a 20 rounder? Also, with stock buffer..... Are you shooting 223/5.56 or 300blk? Stock buffer for 5.56 is, as I've been told by NRA SROs, is different than 300blk....
    So what caliber/grain are you usually shooting as your "OTM" ammo

The stock carbine buffer for 223/556 is sufficient for 300BLK. OTOH, I run a Spike's T1 in my 300BLK, so it is quieter as I am out hunting deer.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Just curious, what's the deal with aluminum gas blocks?

It can vary from gun to gun, but the amuminum gas blocks heat and contract at a different rate than the steel barrel. This often can lead to gas leakage. Depending on how gas port size and how efficient the gas system is, you can experience cycling issues.

Its not much of concern for a bench gun that sees low round counts in a shooting sezsion, but a gun that sees moderate to heavy rates of fire will likely have issues with an aluminum gas block.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Thanks. I figured it was thermal differential just wasn't sure if it was gas leakage or coming loose enough to fall off. I think my only AL gas block is on my bull barrel, not a high high fire rate rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom