• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Just skimming the thread -- his funeral on t.v. now.

The pre-funeral talking heads on FNC mentioned that JFK wanted him to run for Senate right after his first orbital mission. He declined then, not wanting to appear to be exploiting his astronaut fame. So he was close to both JFK and RFK. What were his views on gun control before their assassinations and his role on the "emergency committee"? Who established it, "never letting a crisis go to waste"? And was it his idea, or was he selected for the job?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    In an interview with Glenn perhaps a decade ago, the reporter asked if his orbit around earth was perhaps his most searing memory, and Glenn said no. He said his strongest memories were combat experiences, and Glenn said if you asked any veteran, that they would say the same.

Reading between the lines, it's notable that it was those times when he felt his life or his fellow soldier's life in greater peril than as a test pilot or Mercury astronaut. Maybe his extensive combat experience helped give him the metal to be a cool customer in his post-military, space career.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Yeah, I'll judge him on the whole, and don't doubt that he was a patriot. The late 60s were a different era - and some normally pro individual rights Americans, like Glenn, probably thought they were doing good after prominent assassinations - and continued down that path.
    If you don't stand up against what's wrong when other people think it's right then WTF good are you? It's precisely when the pressure is the most to be wrong that the duty to be right is the greatest. If this is true that he did this then screw him, all he did that was good was an act, a lie and nothing more and same for the lot of them.

True we all make mistakes but some stuff cuts deep into character, stuff you simply don't do and be the same person. That's really, really sad if he threw away his character and integrity and went anti gun. I don't care when it was because it's 100% wrong regardless because he verifiably knew better.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    If you don't stand up against what's wrong when other people think it's right then WTF good are you? It's precisely when the pressure is the most to be wrong that the duty to be right is the greatest. If this is true that he did this then screw him, all he did that was good was an act, a lie and nothing more and same for the lot of them.

True we all make mistakes but some stuff cuts deep into character, stuff you simply don't do and be the same person. That's really, really sad if he threw away his character and integrity and went anti gun. I don't care when it was because it's 100% wrong regardless because he verifiably knew better.
    Did you speak up against Glenn in the past, or just now after he passed? I made my comment on the day that Glenn died. I would have done the same at the time of Reagan's death if there was a focus on his anti-2A efforts. I don't admire the gun control efforts of either (and in the 60s, Glenn wasn't legislating of course), but I recognize what both did in other realms for the country.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom