• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jradack

Dec 12, 2013
    Somd
    About all I know about this rifle is that I want one. I've never seen one in person. What should one look for before buying one. Do these rifles have any real historical significance or are they just a cool old gun. I have a feeling that the prices are going to start to increase like I've seen with the hakim.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    The prices have already started going up. They are one of my favorite rifles, I had an 8mm Egyptian and loved everything about it except for one thing....it is a pita to clean after shooting corrosive ammo. I sold it and planned to buy one in .30-06 but they are more than I'm willing to pay. The Egyptians are original or CIA rebuilds. The rebuilds have plastic buttplates and originals are brass.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Price would be based on condition and caliber. They were made in .30-06, 7mm Mauser, 8 mm Mauser and 7.65 Argentine, plus other calibers I don't know about.

Good luck

Jerry

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Argentine are avail in 7.62x51(308). I have one. Really nice rifle.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    CIA rebuilds, based on NOS Egyptian spares built by FN (some have FN factory stocks, when those ran out they used an Italian built copy with plastic buttstock) command the least of all FN 49s. Look for them to sell in the $600-650 range. Original 8mm Egyptians will fetch about $100-150 more.
    Those chambered in .30-06 (Luxies, Columbian and Belgian) are all going to sell in the $1.5k range, more if in excellent condition (Belgians are all but unicorns here in the US). Vennies are selling in the $1k range (these are the best shooters IMHO and I own four FN49s). Argies in 7.62 x 51 are starting to take off in value, doubt you'd find one for less than $850 these days. The cheapest FN49 to feed if you're a shooter.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I have an Egyptian. Great rifle. Shoots Romanian 8mm surplus great. Very accurate for a rifle with a rear sight mounted on a top cover as well.

Attachments

• fn49.jpg
      fn49.jpg
      45.4 KB · Views: 388

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I have an Egyptian I'd let go for 600. It's one of the ones not mentioned yet. Some had the stock replaced and still have the brass butt plate. Mine is one of those. I've heard that these stocks were made in Italy. The upper vanguard was not replaced. All matching except for the top cover and it is FN factory cut for a scope rail. Bore is nice.

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    Have an Argentine Navy (Argentine Marine Corps, actually).
    Detachable 20-round box mag in 7.62 NATO.
    Love it!
    The only 7.62 I like more is my Beretta BM59.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    My uncle picked up on of the Luxembourg models in 30-06 a few years back at the Oaks Gun show. He knew virtually nothing about them but had the smarts to listen to his nephew haha. Want to say he paid around $850ish for it. It's in great shape so I thought he did damn well.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I saw a mint Luxie sell at auction here in MD earlier in the year. Seem to remember it hammering for $1100. Add MD sales tax and it went OTD for just under $1200. In retrospect probably a very good buy considering it couldn't be upgraded.

Jradack

Dec 12, 2013
    Somd
    CIA rebuilds, based on NOS Egyptian spares built by FN (some have FN factory stocks, when those ran out they used an Italian built copy with plastic buttstock) command the least of all FN 49s. Look for them to sell in the $600-650 range. Original 8mm Egyptians will fetch about $100-150 more.
    Those chambered in .30-06 (Luxies, Columbian and Belgian) are all going to sell in the $1.5k range, more if in excellent condition (Belgians are all but unicorns here in the US). Vennies are selling in the $1k range (these are the best shooters IMHO and I own four FN49s). Argies in 7.62 x 51 are starting to take off in value, doubt you'd find one for less than $850 these days. The cheapest FN49 to feed if you're a shooter.
    This is exactly the info I was looking for. I don't much if any about these. So I really need a starting point on what to look for.

Jradack

Dec 12, 2013
    Somd
    I have an Egyptian I'd let go for 600. It's one of the ones not mentioned yet. Some had the stock replaced and still have the brass butt plate. Mine is one of those. I've heard that these stocks were made in Italy. The upper vanguard was not replaced. All matching except for the top cover and it is FN factory cut for a scope rail. Bore is nice.

It's gonna be a little bit until I can smooze the wife again into letting me get another gun. I just picked up another sks a couple weeks ago. I want a Fn49 to be my next addition. The more I learn now the less chance I'd be overpaying when I decide to pull the trigger. Now if I see another all matching any sks the Fn49 will be forced to be put on hold :)

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    PM me when you're ready to acquire and we'll both put eyes out there to find you just the right example. My gun auction travels take me far and wide and I get to examine lots of goodies, many times with unexpected bargains. For example, earlier this month I was in western PA visiting family and attended a large auction with lots of C&R. In it was a lot marked "Hakim rifle". Turned out to be a Rasheed that only sold for $350 OTD! Somebody got a sweet deal.

Jradack

Dec 12, 2013
    Somd
    I have alot of family out of state and I've done my fare share of driving through Western PA. I pass alot of gun store but always been in a rush to stop. There is a large one near breezewood I think in the town of Everett that I've been meaning to check out. I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open for one of these fn's. Like mentioned above I'd love to find both a hakim and a Rasheed. If I find one I'll just give the wife the "puppy dog eyes" it usually works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom