• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cambrann

Jul 6, 2016
    I've tried searching everywhere and can't seem to get a solid answer or answers that dont conflict.

What are the regulations for an AR-15? Besides the magazine capacity and heavy barrel.

Is there anything about adjustable stocks or types of muzzle devices? I was reading somewhere you can't have a flash hider.. and in NJ you cant have an adjustable stock (it has to be pinned).

Any info is appreciated.

JoshN

Jan 23, 2013
    Maryland until I escape
    Seems like you are looking across multiple states, is your question only for Maryland? As I understand in Maryland, heavy barrel is the requirement. You can't purchase a magazine with capacity in excess of 10 rounds in MD but you can own them, once you do own them you can't transfer them to anyone in Maryland. If you plan on competing or shooting in general in New Jersey, you would have to meet their laws.

cambrann

Jul 6, 2016
    Sorry. Was just using Jersey as an example because I have a buddy who has built a handful of AR's there so I know there laws by hearing about them. So for MD its on the HBAR in regards to actually building the gun?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Maryland law on the AR-15:

If it is a RIFLE, and you first possessed it after 10/1/13, it must have a heavy barrel.

Also, since it is a semi-automatic, centerfire rifle which is capable of accepting detachable magazines, it must be greater than 29" in overall length, and it can not have more than one of 1) a flash hider, 2) a folding (not collapsing) stock, 3) a grenade launcher (an actual launcher, not the lug).

If it is a pistol none of that applies.

There is no magazine capacity law in Maryland for ARs specifically, and no limit on capacity. You may not buy, sell, offer for sale, or transfer a magazine with a capacity of greater than ten rounds inside of Maryland. You can go to other states and buy whatever you want and bring it back, though.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Since we are on the subject, I just want to confirm:
    If you own an AR-15 with a pencil profile barrel before 10-2013, and you want to replace the barrel or even the entire upper with another pencil (or anything more thin than HBAR) then it is perfectly legal to buy in MD or anywhere else and attach it to that specific lower. Correct?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Since we are on the subject, I just want to confirm:
    If you own an AR-15 with a pencil profile barrel before 10-2013, and you want to replace the barrel or even the entire upper with another pencil (or anything more thin than HBAR) then it is perfectly legal to buy in MD or anywhere else and attach it to that specific lower. Correct?

Yes, any pre 10/1/13 legally owned AR15 lower receiver can have a non-HBAR put on it. Even if it's never had anything on it yet

outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    sorry if I wasn't clear, I started a new thread on this...my question is about AR15 HBAR barrel requirements for 300 blackout and 224 Valkyrie

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Obie, I can only surmise it is like fishing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if a worm or insect lands in the water, it can mean only 2 things. It is food for fish, or it is food with a hook to catch fish.

In the case of law and certain firearms, one can never assume it is just the first, I suppose.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Did I miss something?

OP, if an AR rifle is a vanilla direct impingement 5.56/.223 purchased after 10/01/2013, it must have a heavy profile barrel. If purchased prior to that, put whatever you want. If it is a piston rifle, any other caliber, SBR, or pistol, then barrel profile doesn’t matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom