• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    Since i am getting a SPR i want good match bullets and am not going to get that buying them, would much rather reload. So if you guys can tell me exactly what i need it would be appreciated. I will want to be shooting alot, figure about 1k-2k a year. Will want to reload .223 and .45 (only maybe 500 a yr). What do i need. I already have the reloading manual from RussD that he let me borrow. So if i can get a list of everything i need, even what type of bullets and powder. I know just to use cci small rifle primers. And don't think i need a progressive press just yet until i get really comfortable reloading. Not looking to spend say more than 350-400 bucks. Thanks guys.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    Just dig into the reloading section a little. It has been covered many times over. All you need is right here. :thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually, I'm reading this as a somewhat different Inquiry. He's specifically looking for a fairly high degree of accuracy . Not necessarily benchrest, but maybe 1/2 MOA . BTW, you can buy it, just sent check to Black Hills.
    Refer to previous threads on single stage bench setups, then add : Straight line micrometer seatind die ( Redding or Foster). As much anal retentive caseprep gadgets as your budget and patience allow. Primer pocket & flash hole uniforming, neck uniforming, run out gage, etc. Not to mention weighing and sorting cases.
    Starting point for bullets at semireasonable prices are Sierra MatchKings, Horn A Max, Nosler J4s.
    My no 1 shooting & reloading partner has done a lot of .223 load development . He started out working with RL15, for now is using 748 . The recent link to the NJ group with .223 data shows a lot of data for the half dozen or so powders common with .223 match loads.

06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    yeah i am wanting to load accurate stuff, i can be anal retentive and have no problem taking my time. I just don't want to cut a check for the black hills ammo. Can reload just as accurate ammo i think for cheaper plus gives me something to do while waiting for a call for work. Thanks for the info guys, i think i might either start out with the lee anniversary kit or a rcbs rockchucker kit and then or course just add all the other stuff i need.

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    Since i am getting a SPR i want good match bullets and am not going to get that buying them, would much rather reload. So if you guys can tell me exactly what i need it would be appreciated. I will want to be shooting alot, figure about 1k-2k a year. Will want to reload .223 and .45 (only maybe 500 a yr). What do i need. I already have the reloading manual from RussD that he let me borrow. So if i can get a list of everything i need, even what type of bullets and powder. I know just to use cci small rifle primers. And don't think i need a progressive press just yet until i get really comfortable reloading. Not looking to spend say more than 350-400 bucks. Thanks guys.

MegaCTD-

Expenses are going to be higher than $400 bucks.

For the SPR-

CONSUMABLES
    500x Winchester cases ($25/100, $125 total)
    1000x 7 1/2 Remington primers ($40)
    1000x 77gr SMK ($0.20/bullet, $200 total)
    1x pound Varget, 1x pound R-15, 1x pound BLC-2, 1x pound W748 ($25/lb, $100 total). Once you figure out which powder you and your rifle like, you can stockpile that powder.

So you are already over $400 before making any capital investments.

DURABLES
    Get good tools. Easier and cheaper in the long-run. The cost savings between a $400 setup and a $1000 one is minimal over a 10 year time period, whereas the quality of your product will remain consistently much higher from the better tools.

Personally, I like the Redding dies (Competition for seating for $100, S Type for FL resizing at $50) and the Redding 3BR powder measure ($120 at Midway). Those pieces have huge impact on the quality of your loads as seating and charge consistency is very important. Spend extra bucks on those two items and save on some of the other stuff, at least that is my opinion.

The .45ACP is a difference story, and in many ways tougher. It might not be worth the investment if you are only doing 500x/yr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom