Strikeman Laser Firearm Training- worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MiniOutrider

Mar 16, 2020
    Hey there - Good to see everyone who came to Pub Dog Saturday! Question- has anyone tried or heard about the Strikeman Laser Firearm Training? It seems pretty cool for someone like me who does not get out to the range very often, but could use some practice https://www.strikeman.io/products/shop
    If no one has experience with this, is there anything out there similar that they find beneficial? Thanks in advance!

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Congrats on 10 posts! The Water Cooler is so close.... yet so far.

I've heard good things about these systems, but then again I just lay a penny on the front sight and try to dry fire without shaking it off.

Sure costs a lot less!

MiniOutrider

Mar 16, 2020
    Congrats on 10 posts! The Water Cooler is so close.... yet so far.

I've heard good things about these systems, but then again I just lay a penny on the front sight and try to dry fire without shaking it off.

Sure costs a lot less!

Lol.. just 40 more to go! My fashaaaa did not tell me about the penny trick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    Got a chance to unbox and set it up for a couple quick sessions and I like it. I initially ordered the laser cartridges in 9mm, .40s&w and .45acp.

Calibrating the target with your phone is the trickiest part but I got it after a minute or so of trying.

I downloaded the Strikeman app from the Google Play Store and created an account. To get started there are templates that you can create and save so I made one for 2 hands strong side and another for 1 hand strong side so far.

You can set it up for timed shots or number of shots. Using my Sig P365 with EMPTY 12 rd mag I started with 4 sets of ten shots, two hands, strong side at a distance of about 12 feet with a 60 second break between sets.

I began each set turned to my left and practiced dropping my cane, uncovering, drawing and firing. Mainly focusing on the first shot while the follow up shots came after racking in a high ready. Surprisingly my first shots were pretty decent and I established a baseline.

Will try and do a session or two daily and chart my progress.

Included some screen shots of my 1st session.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with it so far so much so that I pre-ordered all of the calibers that I didn't have.
    13214df553945ea9c4e8af2ec6437ef5.jpg
    0bdfc52fe28f945de07352acf2334378.jpg
    e42d4564d7d352da69c20f220739d6ea.jpg
    6e137271ef14e96b534f1c9624f3d594.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MiniOutrider

Mar 16, 2020
    Got a chance to unbox and set it up for a couple quick sessions and I like it. I initially ordered the laser cartridges in 9mm, .40s&w and .45acp.

Calibrating the target with your phone is the trickiest part but I got it after a minute or so of trying.

I downloaded the Strikeman app from the Google Play Store and created an account. To get started there are templates that you can create and save so I made one for 2 hands strong side and another for 1 hand strong side so far.

You can set it up for timed shots or number of shots. Using my Sig P365 with EMPTY 12 rd mag I started with 4 sets of ten shots, two hands, strong side at a distance of about 12 feet with a 60 second break between sets.

I began each set turned to my left and practiced dropping my cane, uncovering, drawing and firing. Mainly focusing on the first shot while the follow up shots came after racking in a high ready. Surprisingly my first shots were pretty decent and I established a baseline.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with it so far so much so that I pre-ordered all of the calibers that I didn't have.

Glad someone finally got to check this thing out! It sounds like it would be a good idea for my limp-wrist self, especially in the winter months. Thanks for posting!

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland

Yeah, I struggled to get the phone set up at a height, not in conflict with my field of vision to the target and the target at a practical height. The phone ended up on a few boxes slightly lower than the target, so it was a little shaky when calibrating to the target. I'll try hanging the target on the wall and setting up the phone on a table or more stable foundation to make things easier next time.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

Now get the Mantis-X and use them both at the same time. It’s helpful in my opinion
    because it reinforces target accuracy and trigger/grip control at the same time. I think there are some stores that sell the MantisX and you can go and try it before you buy it. The newest model has the ability to track your movements while drawing from a holster too. The only downside is that the gun must have a pic-rail or you have to buy a magazine plate adapter.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Now get the Mantis-X and use them both at the same time. It’s helpful in my opinion
    because it reinforces target accuracy and trigger/grip control at the same time. I think there are some stores that sell the MantisX and you can go and try it before you buy it. The newest model has the ability to track your movements while drawing from a holster too. The only downside is that the gun must have a pic-rail or you have to buy a magazine plate adapter.
    So how does the mantis work on drawing from a holster if you need a rail? Will it fit in an x300 or TLR holster?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    So how does the mantis work on drawing from a holster if you need a rail? Will it fit in an x300 or TLR holster?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have a Kydex for my G34 that was molded for a streamlight. So the MantisX fits in there without any issue. For my Shadow2 I 3D printed a magazine butt plate with a rail on it and I attach the MantisX to the bottom. You can buy them online too. When I track down a photo I’ll post it here.

Edit - just took new pics

dbc2e11e79c728394d8bcf531c1d7482.jpg

0f81ca8ade256b5da6ba9f96c8701064.jpg

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Edit - just took new pics

Thanks!

And for those that are interested, you can get 20% off with the code "saveonammo" I think through the 31st of this month. I have the system in the cart with a 9mm cartridge and total with shipping is $91.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet (pun intended) b/c I'm trying to figure out the benefits of this over a normal laserlyte target (which I already have). Does the app give a benefit over just showing shot placement?

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Thanks!

And for those that are interested, you can get 20% off with the code "saveonammo" I think through the 31st of this month. I have the system in the cart with a 9mm cartridge and total with shipping is $91.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet (pun intended) b/c I'm trying to figure out the benefits of this over a normal laserlyte target (which I already have). Does the app give a benefit over just showing shot placement?

The one benefit of the laserlyte target is not having to calibrate the target to the phone app everytime

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    As a follow-up to my previous Strikeman comments
    I don't know if this was due to software updates installed, but it's much easier calibrating a new session. If you get your camera centered on the target, the software picks up on it and eliminates the need to manually resize to the target. I'm tempted to purchase the new Pro version

MiniOutrider

Mar 16, 2020
    As a follow-up to my previous Strikeman comments
    I don't know if this was due to software updates installed, but it's much easier calibrating a new session. If you get your camera centered on the target, the software picks up on it and eliminates the need to manually resize to the target. I'm tempted to purchase the new Pro version

I’ll have to check out the pro version. If a certain Outrider58 is reading… *cough* Christmas gift

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom