CDC restarts gun violence research; Director Walensky wants gun rights activists to b

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    https://www.theblaze.com/news/cdc-restarts-gun-violence-research

U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Rochelle Walensky is restarting the agency's discontinued gun violence research program, expanding the bureaucracy's mission beyond controlling and preventing infectious disease to include studying what President Joe Biden has called a "gun violence public health epidemic."

---------------

From Eviction Moratorium smack down, back to Gun Control..

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Mandatory vaccinations if you own a gun. See, I just connected the dots.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Interesting. I’ll send her an e-mail and see if I can get involved.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Didn't the SC just knock down the Biden administration and CDC for attempting to regulate something they had no authority to regulate (preventing evictions for non payment of rent/mortgage because they said it would help spread SARS-CoV-2).

Biden labels deaths which involve firearms as a public health epidemic. So the CDC will spend a lot of money studying it, and come to the conclusion that guns can be used to kill people (as well as defend life). Insightful. Will the current or a future Democratic administration, in labeling deaths involving guns a health epidemic, then use the CDC to prevent gun purchases or otherwise hinder 2A rights. They say that they won't now, that they just want to study it, but regulations and expanding bureaucratic prerogative always follows.

In related news ...

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/08/26/activists-biden-congress-gun-violence-506925

... gun violence survivors and activists are pushing the president to create a White House office of gun violence headed by a Cabinet-level aide.

... Against the backdrop of David Chipman’s nomination to lead ATF languishing in the Senate, the groups asked Biden to establish a White House office to be led by an aide who does not need Senate confirmation, similar to Biden’s White House Office of Domestic Climate Policy.

... Some activists say they are worried they won’t be able to spur voter turnout in the midterm elections next year because of a lack of policy accomplishments on some of their key issues. [these folks completely overestimate their effect on national elections]

... The four gun violence groups say that’s not enough.

The president, they say, needs to push Congress more aggressively to ban assault weapons, limit high-capacity magazines and expand background checks — reforms he has spoken in favor of as president — and support ending the filibuster to allow legislation to more easily pass the evenly-divided Senate. A White House official said the White House has publicly and privately urged lawmakers to back the president’s agenda and Chipman’s confirmation.

... “The White House should be ashamed of the fact that those of us working on this issue every single day cannot with certainty tell you how the administration is going about implementing the promises this president made,” Volsky said. “That's just not how an administration for whom gun violence is a priority behaves.”

He's weaponizing the CDC on their behalf, but of course they want the whole pie.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Here is a quote from the article

Under her direction, the agency is spending more than $2 million to fund an initiative that provides surveillance data in near-real time on emergency visits to the hospital for nonfatal firearm injuries.

The government spending $2M is basically nothing. I mean it probably has already cost $2M to create the press release. In federal government terms this is absolutely meaningless.

A valuable study would be one that actually documented data on who the shooter was and who the victims were. Were either or both prohibited persons and/or currently wanted for crimes? Did the shooting happen in conjunction with another crime? How was the firearm obtained? Was the shooter or the victims under the influence of drugs or alcohol? Does the shooter or the victims have a history of violent behavior? However we’ll never see the answers to these questions because the data would show that in 9 out of 10 shootings criminals use guns to shoot other criminals. And then we would have to do something to reduce criminal activity, which goes directly against the latests trends in defunding police.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Leftist political indoctrination in our schools and universities is a much larger, more lethal public health epidemic. It kills entire societies.

Researching and finding an effective way to combat that would actually be useful.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Republicans should have mandated that CDC funding for gun violence research must be apportioned equally been groups that advocate for gun control and gun rights.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Republicans should have mandated that CDC funding for gun violence research must be apportioned equally been groups that advocate for gun control and gun rights.

Or we could focus on making sure the statistics are collected and analyzed fairly. This should not be about ideology, but about science. I am totally against violent crime. The roots of violent crime do not lie in firearm ownership.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Doesn't a "disease" or "epidemic" have to be a pathogen and/or be contageous? How does "gun violence fit in? What distinguishes "gun violence" from other violence?

How does the CDC even have jurisdiction??

Does it just "deem" things to be so, like Pelosi's House does?

Doesn't the cdc already have its hands full with controversies over the Covid-19 masks and vaccine booster issues??

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Didn't the SC just knock down the Biden administration and CDC for attempting to regulate something they had no authority to regulate (preventing evictions for non payment of rent/mortgage because they said it would help spread SARS-CoV-2).

Biden labels deaths which involve firearms as a public health epidemic. So the CDC will spend a lot of money studying it, and come to the conclusion that guns can be used to kill people (as well as defend life). Insightful. Will the current or a future Democratic administration, in labeling deaths involving guns a health epidemic, then use the CDC to prevent gun purchases or otherwise hinder 2A rights. They say that they won't now, that they just want to study it, but regulations and expanding bureaucratic prerogative always follows.

In related news ...

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/08/26/activists-biden-congress-gun-violence-506925

He's weaponizing the CDC on their behalf, but of course they want the whole pie.

We should keep the camel's nose out of the tent.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    If 80 million gun owners in possession of 300 million guns were an epidemic, we'd all know.

I always make the point that despite the prevalence of guns throughout our society, there are shockingly few incidents relative to the number of guns out there.

The majority of those incidents are contained within narrow swaths of our society, but that would provoke very difficult conversations.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If 80 million gun owners in possession of 300 million guns were an epidemic, we'd all know.

I always make the point that despite the prevalence of guns throughout our society, there are shockingly few incidents relative to the number of guns out there.

The majority of those incidents are contained within narrow swaths of our society, but that would provoke very difficult conversations.

This data needs to be easy to find. That’s why I am fine with looking at it, as long as the data is fairly analyzed. Frankly, “our side” will come out just fine and “their side” will be flabbergasted.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    The CDC should start a companion effort to study ladder-violence. Seems to be "epidemic" in the US.
    According to the World Health Organization, the United States leads the world in ladder deaths. Each year, there are more than 164,000 emergency room-treated injuries and 300 deaths in the U.S. that are caused by falls from ladders.
    I mean, you can go to the hardware store and buy one of these death-machines, cash-and-carry, no questions asked.
    Most ladder deaths are from falls of 10 feet or less.
    Honestly, nobody needs a ladder longer than 10 feet.

Where is the outrage and CDC oversight ???

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    The CDC should start a companion effort to study ladder-violence. Seems to be "epidemic" in the US.

I mean, you can go to the hardware store and buy one of these death-machines, cash-and-carry, no questions asked.

Honestly, nobody needs a ladder longer than 10 feet.

Where is the outrage and CDC oversight ???

Ladders are just a tool. They are perfectly safe when used properly.

54fe83d185854e3cf59f6605c7a6f7da.gif

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Doesn't a "disease" or "epidemic" have to be a pathogen and/or be contageous? How does "gun violence fit in? What distinguishes "gun violence" from other violence?

How does the CDC even have jurisdiction??

Does it just "deem" things to be so, like Pelosi's House does?

Doesn't the cdc already have its hands full with controversies over the Covid-19 masks and vaccine booster issues??

By copying the COVID model, everything will be related/blamed/a result of gun violence.

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/27/health/cdc-gun-research-walensky/index.html

“In one of those projects, gun stores in Colorado have developed a suicide awareness program. So far in 2021, more than 15,700 people in the US have used a gun to end their own lives, according to the Gun Violence Archive.
    Another project in Vermont educates children about how to safely use and store guns.”

I am not in favor of CDC programs that will be used as a pretext for ******** infringements. But do we agree that the quoted above are the kinds of things that funding would be productive without promoting the usual nonsense restrictions/infringements. Am I missing anything?

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...

Oh right!! You mean those Republicans that have a brain, are patriotic, are not there to make themselves rich and care about the American citizen. Those Republicans??? Good luck! We don't have too many of those. Sorry!
    :bigwhoop:

Sirex