• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Might want to try Wolf Match Extra. It is made by Eley and shoots about the same as Tenex in an Anschutz Model 54. My dad got a batch of it with the Eley headstamp on Wolf brass. Excellent .22LR ammunition and not your typical Wolf product. Shoots very well in a Marlin 795, too. One hole groups @ 50 yards.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I have heard really good things about this ammo so I decided to try and find some to buy and test. The stuff is crazy expensive. Opticsplanet.com has some in stock so I tried to buy a box and in the process was told they do not ship to Maryland. Anyone know why? Anyone know who else has any for sale is locally in A.A. county or online that is not still gouging. Opticsplanet.com it was $21.99 a box of 50. Also, anyone using the stuff and what are your thoughts about it. I am planning on shooting it in my CZ457 and a custom Ruger 10/22.
    For serious match-grade ammo, try Champion's Choice or International Shooter's Service. You can occasionally find match ammo at Brownells, if you are lucky. Or try CMP.

Having said that, Eley Tenex is intended for Olympic-level competition. You can often get satisfactory performance out of the lower grades, such as Eley Club or RWS Target Rifle.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Might want to try Wolf Match Extra. It is made by Eley and shoots about the same as Tenex in an Anschutz Model 54. My dad got a batch of it with the Eley headstamp on Wolf brass. Excellent .22LR ammunition and not your typical Wolf product. Shoots very well in a Marlin 795, too. One hole groups @ 50 yards.

I don't think that ammo has been available for a long time. I still have a few bricks, and it shoots great but havent seen it on shelves in years.

hippkid88

Feb 22, 2021
    Pasadena, MD
    I have been using Eley Tenex since the mid seventies in two main squirrel rifles; a High Standard pump action and a Remington bolt action. At that time, the cost of standard rounds from Rem, Win and others was approximately $1.00/box vs. $9.99/box for Tenex. The fact that Tenex was ten times the cost of standard rounds was a hard pill to swallow, until the time came to put the crosshairs on a squirrel's head. After a mild report, I consistently watched as the squirrel dropped out of view through the scope and smiled a few seconds later when I heard the "thump". At the range and with only minor trigger work, the pump shot 1/2 inch groups and the bolt was about half of that at 50yds. The accuracy and consistency of these rounds is amazing but like any ammo, it may not work in any given firearm. I believe it's worth a try if you're looking for the next level of performance either at the range, or in the field for those small, elusive critters.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo

Wolf ammunition is Russian… So that’ll be gone soon enough and we won’t be able to get it anymore.

I primarily go through all of the American ammo first and then I move in the high-end stuff like Lapua, Tenex, SK, etc.

I find that some of my 22s like CCI nylon coated ammo. I bought about 50,000 rounds of the stuff 18 months out from the election just so that I would have it.

One or two of the guns actually prefer Lapua, and that aint cheap.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    Wolf is a US company that imports ammo from the Tula ammo plant. I’m pretty sure its 22lr is also produced in Russia, along with the SK / Eley offerings.

Wolf is hosed with Bidens changes there, as most pf what the sell is from Russia.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Wolf is a US company that imports ammo from the Tula ammo plant. I’m pretty sure its 22lr is also produced in Russia, along with the SK / Eley offerings.

Wolf is hosed with Bidens changes there, as most pf what the sell is from Russia.

WOLF Rimfire – Match-grade .22LR ammunition from Germany and Russia. Comes in a black box.

However, even then some of its .22-caliber rimfire ammunition was produced by Sk Jagd und Sportsmutions GmbH in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany.

Where the matter is further confused is that in 2009, WPA ended it brand with both the Tula Cartridge Plant and the Ulyanovsk Machinery Plant due to legal disputes. As such Wolf now uses a variety of suppliers from across the European Union to meet its demands.

For now, as far as we can tell with the information we have, it is likely some WPA will remain available while some may not.

Any questions?

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Killough shooting sports out of TX has sent us eley in the past though we learned that Claire’s rifle HATED it...

Sent her rifle to lapua in AZ to have it batch tested and discovered how finicky her rifle is. Loved some lapua ammo, didn’t care for others. Really like some batches, and others looked like a shotgun pattern.

The test regimen was done at 100m, in a vice and with no wind. We chose the lot which held a 10 shot group the size of my thumbnail.

TLDR - each rifle will have its own ammo preference and it may like less expensive ammo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I just went to my gun-room and checked my stash of Wolf Match Target. I have the last few boxes from a case of 5,000 I bought probably about 15 yrs ago. It's marked "Made in Germany"...i.e. SK. OTOH, I just bought a brick of Wolf MT a month ago. It's marked "Made in England" and carries an "E" headstamp, i.e. Eley.

I haven't done any head-to-head testing yet to see if the new ammo equals the old SK-manufactured MT.

Joe

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I just went to my gun-room and checked my stash of Wolf Match Target. I have the last few boxes from a case of 5,000 I bought probably about 15 yrs ago. It's marked "Made in Germany"...i.e. SK. OTOH, I just bought a brick of Wolf MT a month ago. It's marked "Made in England" and carries an "E" headstamp, i.e. Eley.

I haven't done any head-to-head testing yet to see if the new ammo equals the old SK-manufactured MT.

Joe

My dad swears by the Wolf MT with that Eley headstamp in his Anschutz. It also says "Made in England", on the bricks he has.
    Should be available for the foreseeable future unless Biden's puppet masters decide to nuke 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom