• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle
    As part of the sale of our home, two radon tests came back above 4 (1st 5.6, 2nd 4.6) so we need to take care of it.
    Anyone here do that work or can recommend someone?
    Need it done asap, and what a pita to have to deal with it on top of everything else we have going on.
    Thanks

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    This is only 1 point above the EPA recommended level what makes you think it’s a problem?? It’s not really an issue unless the readings are in the hundreds. A reading of 5 or 6 even 7 is really low.
    Crack open a window a bit and call it a day.

The problem is this gives the buyer an opportunity to walk away from the sale. And now that it's known it would have to be disclosed to any potential new buyer.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    This is only 1 point above the EPA recommended level what makes you think it’s a problem?? It’s not really an issue unless the readings are in the hundreds. A reading of 5 or 6 even 7 is really low.
    Crack open a window a bit and call it a day.

Talk about useless advice...I suppose he can ignore it and force the potential buyers to believe it is A-Ok with the readings and that it is actually good for their health.

My lord.

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Here’s the company that did mine about 20 years ago.
    B863DA81-78EB-4E1D-8C8C-F8355DB5D3C0.jpg

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    As part of the sale of our home, two radon tests came back above 4 (1st 5.6, 2nd 4.6) so we need to take care of it.
    Anyone here do that work or can recommend someone?
    Need it done asap, and what a pita to have to deal with it on top of everything else we have going on.
    Thanks

I had to do the same thing when selling my place in Carrol Co.

I used these folks. They were pretty quick, and did a clean job.

$875 for sub-slab basement ventilation solution.

Radon Abatement Services in Silver Springs
    https://radonrepair.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle
    https://radonrepair.com/

Tourrider's recommendation came through for us. Emailed my info Sunday, heard back from them Monday. Install completed yesterday. The install crew was great, and went over everything in detail prior to starting work. They ran into a snag with a wider than normal footing, no interior drain tile and insufficient underslab gravel necessary to "pull" the gas into the vent pipe. They know their work and performed several tests using a shop vacuum and a couple test holes to determine the system would operate as intended. Very satisfied with their professionalism and the install.

In a few days we'll have the results from the retest, well ahead of our settlement date. :):)

Highly recommend :thumbsup:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    EVERY home I have purchased/SOLD in Howard county failed Radon tests. Its very common in MD
    Buyer's agent will tell buyer to get you to put in the vent and retest.
    A Buyer's agent IMO would be shooting him/herself in the foot to tell a buyer to go ahead and take it anyway.
    3 friends home I helped get set up to sell/buy in past couple years all failed too.
    If they don't have to replace your sump pump along with sealing and putting in the fan/vent, its gravy work for these people.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    When I bought my house new in 92 I requested a radon test. When tested it came back 12 pci/L was really high. I got 2 grand knocked off the price of the house. I did not tell them that I was certified by Uncle Sam in CBR testing and decontamination.

I installed a system in the basement floor slab. The fab was 150 bucks, the 3 inch PVC was 50 bucks and the roof boot was 10 bucks. Took about 4 hours to complete. I have a constant monitoring system and since I installed the system it has never raised above 0.3 pci/L.

According to the EPA, the maximum “acceptable” level of radon is 4.0 pCi/L, but even that level is not “safe”, per se. The EPA strongly recommends you consider radon mitigation between levels 2.0 and 4.0.

Attachments

• maryland raydon.pdf
      18.9 KB · Views: 101

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    Had the previous owner put one in when I bought my house in Cecil about 13 years ago as a condition of sale (measurement was 4.4). Works fine and does it's job, but the blower motor has to be replaced every 5 years or so. Guess not a concern if you're the seller.

Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle
    Had the previous owner put one in when I bought my house in Cecil about 13 years ago as a condition of sale (measurement was 4.4). Works fine and does it's job, but the blower motor has to be replaced every 5 years or so. Guess not a concern if you're the seller.
    Yes, it will be the new owners problem as that blower runs 24/7.
    Curious what your radon levels are?

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Yes, it will be the new owners problem as that blower runs 24/7.
    Curious what your radon levels are?

My exhaust fan has been running almost 30 years 24/7. I have a replacement in the wings it only takes a couple of minutes to change if installed correctly.

Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle
    Re-test came back with a .6 reading - which is much better than I had expected.

Found out our appraisal came back good, so now we're off to settlement next week and outta MD in about three weeks :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom