• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bam-az

Nov 30, 2015
    Welcome to the auto knife addiction support forum. They seem to multiply rapidly. Now check out Heretic, Guardian Tactical, Protech, and Piranha for starters. :)

Uh oh. My wallet just got lighter. My name is Joe and I think I might have a problem. Thanks a lot. It was just guns, now I have a new problem.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    I got the double bladed version with one side being serrated

Nice. They're well made knives and are actually pretty tough. The OTF knives of today are nothing like the Italian concord and Asian NATO Military imports of the 80's.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Uh oh. My wallet just got lighter. My name is Joe and I think I might have a problem. Thanks a lot. It was just guns, now I have a new problem.

:lol: There is a gun show this weekend in Gettysburg...always auto knife steel there...always. :D Seriously, if you ever plan to purchase from a show, learn how to spot the counterfeits and clones. The chinese have made some pretty convincing fakes in the last few years.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Are there any auto OTF knives that one would trust one's live to? I keep reading that they're finicky and prone to failure.

bam-az

Nov 30, 2015
    :lol: There is a gun show this weekend in Gettysburg...always auto knife steel there...always. :D Seriously, if you ever plan to purchase from a show, learn how to spot the counterfeits and clones. The chinese have made some pretty convincing fakes in the last few years.

Me thinketh there be some serious buying going to happen.

bam-az

Nov 30, 2015
    Nice. They're well made knives and are actually pretty tough. The OTF knives of today are nothing like the Italian concord and Asian NATO Military imports of the 80's.

I've heard the same thing from the reviews that lead me to Microtech. This thing will be a cool pocket toy that isn't necessarily intended for defense work, but if called upon, I think it'll do the trick

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Thanks for the Microtech video. Allays many of my concerns. I still wonder whether pocket carry will jam up the works, and how much cleaning etc would be necessary to make for a zero-problem state. I notice the guy in thevid didn't make any attempt to get any grit into the action.

Regarding the HALO - they seem unobtainable. Does anyone have the skinny on production and availability? Seems like there's a big demand and virtually no supply.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Thanks for the Microtech video. Allays many of my concerns. I still wonder whether pocket carry will jam up the works, and how much cleaning etc would be necessary to make for a zero-problem state. I notice the guy in thevid didn't make any attempt to get any grit into the action.

Regarding the HALO - they seem unobtainable. Does anyone have the skinny on production and availability? Seems like there's a big demand and virtually no supply.

Blow it out every now and then and clean the blade off after use and you should be good. Using the pocket clip and keeping out of the bottom of the pocket helps quite a bit.

Regarding the Halo, most of the models I have seen recently are custom knives for big money. It has been a long time since I have seen a production Halo for sale, even then they were $600-$700.

If you are interested in a single action OTF like the Halo, the ProTech Dark Angel and Paragon Para X are well made knives for a little bit over $200. The Heretic Hydra is also a good choice for around $500. The owner of Heretic is the son of the owner of Microtech so you may see some similarities in designs.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Are there any auto OTF knives that one would trust one's live to? I keep reading that they're finicky and prone to failure.

OTF knives are not "work" knives so to speak. Slicing is their thing, not puncturing. My fold out serrated Spyderco knives are my carry for work.
    I typically carry mine in my support hand pocket, as a "back up".

If I had gun work, then using a knife as a back up is typically "acceptable".

Using a knife as a primary self defense weapon has a stigma. 99.9% of people carrying don't know how to fight with them. Secondly, It's a very messy, graphic kill. And it is a contact weapon. This doesn't bode well for a defendant in front of a jury.
    I'm sure Counsel would rather defend a gun shot than a knife defense.

Not sure I have ever read any self defense story that ended with the bad guy taking the asphalt temperature challenge from a knife.

YMMV

Inevitably there will be some "knife guy" who lives and breathes knives, taken classes, knows every name in the knife business, spends money on knives the way we spend on firearms and will say a knife is a perfectly good and acceptable self defense tool.

My novice advice for carrying one in Maryland? Get one with at least 1 side that is serrated. It has less perception of being a "dagger"/Stiletto.

Can't wait to order my next OTF though. Love them.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    OTF knives are not "work" knives so to speak. Slicing is their thing, not puncturing. My fold out serrated Spyderco knives are my carry for work.
    I typically carry mine in my support hand pocket, as a "back up".

If I had gun work, then using a knife as a back up is typically "acceptable".

Using a knife as a primary self defense weapon has a stigma. 99.9% of people carrying don't know how to fight with them. Secondly, It's a very messy, graphic kill. And it is a contact weapon. This doesn't bode well for a defendant in front of a jury.
    I'm sure Counsel would rather defend a gun shot than a knife defense.

Not sure I have ever read any self defense story that ended with the bad guy taking the asphalt temperature challenge from a knife.

YMMV

Inevitably there will be some "knife guy" who lives and breathes knives, taken classes, knows every name in the knife business, spends money on knives the way we spend on firearms and will say a knife is a perfectly good and acceptable self defense tool.

My novice advice for carrying one in Maryland? Get one with at least 1 side that is serrated. It has less perception of being a "dagger"/Stiletto.

Can't wait to order my next OTF though. Love them.

This is an interesting video

Best advice is towards the end.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Anyone can carry an OTF, or side opening switch blade.

A case was posted on MDS where it was deemed the pocket clip 'made everyone know' you had a knife, so it wasn't concealed.

Yes, it's far less likely to be confiscated with a permit, so you must assess your comfort with that if you've no permit (like me).

I love carrying my Ultratech. Looks pretty killy.

kill.jpg

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Bought this sweet tanto at the Dulles gun show. I find serrated blades "cut" better. One reason I went with this is that the blade is facing down when in use.
    The serrations on the point blades are on top, requiring that you turn the knife over to use them. That felt weird to me.
    Build date is 8/21. Fresh off the assembly line!
    8e7dff0f0039da5d07823273840e4091.jpg

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    So I picked up a Microtech Ultratech with two-sided blade - one serrated. Also a Heretic Hydra, as suggested above.

Both pretty cool knives. The Hydra was in lieu of a HALO, which are more or less unobtanium. It has a couple ergonomic flaws, but is impressive nonetheless. As for the Microtech, given the force needed to operate the action, a bit less aggressive jimping would have been OK with me.

I still think my Benchmade Contego can be operated just as quickly, without the pesky legal issues. But still, nothing's more impressive than an auto OTF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom